Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By DRFerron
  • 1 Post By luck66
  • 1 Post By capta
  • 1 Post By JimMcGee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2014
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road
CNN on Rogue Waves

Did anyone see the video on rogue waves on cnn..I didnt know they were so many of them....'Monster wave' slams into British cruise ship - CNN.com Video
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Solon For This Useful Post:
jimgo (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: CNN on Rogue Waves

If I remember correctly, for a long time those who didn't go to sea were skeptical when those who did reported giant waves. I believe I read somewhere that it wasn't until after satellite images caught them that things changed.
Solon likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
The Following User Says Thank You to DRFerron For This Useful Post:
Solon (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014

luck66 is on a distinguished road

I think the movie "White Squall" documented monster waves pretty well. Now that satellites scan the earth, they have pinpointed several locations where these monster waves are common.
Solon likes this.
Solon (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Again. I will repost my experiences regarding rogue waves. I have read quite a bit about the sat info on rogue waves, which I find very interesting, but often unverifiable, beyond a momentary spike.
I have 9 transPac crossings (18 one way) from SF to Asia on ships, a couple of Hawaii round trips, a circumnavigation, half a dozen transAts, probably 3 times that on Caribbean/US sails both ways, and uncountable other voyages on everything from tugs to fishing vessels (even to AK) and I have never seen a "rogue wave". Perhaps I have been extremely lucky, or perhaps they are much more prevalent these days, I don't know, but it seems to me that many of these "rogue waves" people are reporting these days may not in fact, actually be "rogue waves". The one British freighter I know, that in fact encountered a "rogue wave", had it's foc's'l crushed to the level of the main deck, lost all her lifeboats, anchors and all the bridge windows (I saw the pictures when visiting aboard), not something I believe a 42' cat or any other small craft, would have survived!"
Actually having to have sail up in 100 knots of wind, trying to beat out of a hurricane in 50 odd foot waves, if there was a rogue wave in that mess, I surely didn't notice it. But big waves are far apart, almost ski slopes, the distance of a football field apart. Not quite so terrifying as one would think. Not to say I didn't pop my head out the hatch and whistle fruitlessly for a taxi, several times (I guess one can always hope); I certainly did not want to be there, right then. But survivable on a well found boat, and that one was 65 years old at that time.
A friend of mine sailed one and a half times around the world alone, nonstop. A great deal of that voyage was high latitude sailing, and yet he never mentioned any rogue waves in all his tale telling, or his numerous books.
Few of us will ever sail the high latitudes where these things are most prevalent. For those who will, I wish you the good fortune that my friend and I have had, in our careers at sea.
Solon likes this.
Solon (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

I thought this National Geographic special on Rogue Waves with Bob Ballard was pretty interesting.

Rogue Waves | National Geographic Channel

He said evidence is showing that these waves are becoming more common. I just hope I never see one...
Solon likes this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 02-26-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

I think that there are rogue waves of all sizes. I find it endlessly fascinating to be in the middle of an ocean somewhere and all of the waves for hours are say, 8 to 10' and then one comes out of nowhere that is 15'+ and you cannot see any conceivable reason for it. It does not appear that these waves are just the high end of a normal distribution (bell curve) of sizes since you haven't seen the 11 and 13 footers.
Old 02-26-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Sail in the right season and you will NEVER see a rogue wave!

They are the babies of hurricanes and cyclones and the ultra high latitudes, and wind against tide in a few isolated danger spots: Tasmania and bass Strait, Aghulas current, Hatteras and the continental shelf south of the UK in the bay of biscay

Lets have a look at them
Quote:
Mariners who survived similar encounters have had remarkable stories to tell. In February 1995 the cruiser liner Queen Elizabeth II met a 29-metre high rogue wave during a hurricane in the North Atlantic that Captain Ronald Warwick described as "a great wall of water… it looked as if we were going into the White Cliffs of Dover."

And within the week between February and March 2001 two hardened tourist cruisers – the Bremen and the Caledonian Star – had their bridge windows smashed by 30-metre rogue waves in the South Atlantic, the former ship left drifting without navigation or propulsion for a period of two hours.
QE II was in a hurricane so thats the "Wrong Season", the other two were both 55 degrees south so a LONG way south considering the Cape is 35 South so about the level of the Horn.
Quote:
the "Draupner wave", a rogue wave at the Draupner platform, in the North Sea on January 1, 1995.
Thats the "Wrong Season" - mid winter in the North Sea.

Quote:
February 2000, a British oceanographic research vessel, the RRS Discovery, sailing in the Rockall Trough west of Scotland encountered the largest waves ever recorded by scientific instruments in the open ocean, with a SWH of 18.5 metres (61 ft)
"Wrong Season"

Have a look at the Wikipaedia entry and you will see some events dated, but not all, and there is only one rogue wave, off georgia, in April 2005 that does not firmly fall into my parameters. Mind you it was the 16 th of April and the window for that passage is from mid April so no cruiser should have been out there... And it must have been gulf stream with the wind against the stream.

So yes, rogue waves exist, but you will never see one if you abide by the cardinal rule of only sailing in the right season

Mark