Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2006

Mkfcdl is on a distinguished road
Venice Louisiana marina

Does anyone know the condition of Cypress Cove marina on the Mississippi delta? I'm planning a trip from Galveston to Florida and would like to be able to stop there if needed for weather concerns.

Thanks in advance,
Mark
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2006

nolatom will become famous soon enough
not open at present as I understand it.
Old 02-20-2006

Dave A is on a distinguished road
Venice Marinas

I was in Venice LA. in November 05 and it was destroyed. They were working on getting enough of it functional to operate the commercial fleet. It will be a while before it will be a cruising stop.
Old 02-22-2006

sailnaway is on a distinguished road
Ditto the destroyed part. I was on the internet I am not sure where but I think I went to Google and typed in gulf coast marinas. Or maybe current gulf coast conditions. Anyway I have to make the trip from Florida to Texas in the summer and it looks like it will not be all that great of a trip with most marinas wiped out. Fuel is in short supply most still have no water and electric.Try Google earth and see if you can zoom in on Venice.
Old 02-22-2006

Looks like offshore the whole way

Sailnaway:

Yeah I think I was already checking google earth--old satellite photos so no new info. But I was able to find a photo of the marina:

So, looks like straight offshore regardless of the weather!
Old 02-23-2006

sailnaway is on a distinguished road
I talked to a Crew Boat Captain today he said that just at the Mississippi river outlet is a small marina where you can stop and walk over the levie for fuel nothing at the time is up and running mush past Dophin Island Alabama heading west. Fushon is where most boats are running to.If you can get into the Dophin Island Yacht club I was told they may have some fuel but limited. All this is just hear say not fact. I was told also that sholing is out of control and to stay in the ship lanes as nothing is the same as it was on charts six months ago.
Old 02-24-2006

starcresttoo is on a distinguished road
that pahokee marina is still kaputt

the" everglades adventures" as it has been aptly re-named before the new management doubled the rates is still a has-been. wilma made sure of that.note to all marina managers---take heed b4 you raise the rates----the marina may well be "raized"
Old 02-26-2006

Which Mississippi river outlet?

Sailnaway:

Appreciate the info on the marina at the tip of the river. Let me ask, however, which outlet are you talking about? Southwest Pass is the deepest and has the large ship traffic (also is the way to get to Venice if approaching from the west/southwest). South pass and the east past had about 8-10 feet pre-Katrina from what I understand. I'm a sailboat so fuel isn't really an issue for me on a trip like this. I'm mostly interested in a place I can duck into and anchor if a big norther comes down faster than expected. If I could count on the possibility of stopping over on the delta then my longest offshore time would be about 3 1/2 days which would greatly simplify weather planning this time of year (3 days from Galveston to the Mississippi delta and 3-4 days on to Tampa). If the weather forecast for northers remains clear as I'm passing south of the delta then I would just continue east/southeast for the west coast of Florida.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 02-26-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
When you heading out? I'm looking at a boat in Seabrook in a few weeks and would be looking at a similar trip. Wouldn't mind tagging along if it wouldn't bother you.

John
Old 04-29-2006

Update on Venice marina

Just spoke with someone at the Venice marina out on the Mississippi delta at Venice. The marina has been repaired and is operating apparently normally. Only problem at this time is shoaling at the marina's entrance which should be resolved in shortly as it is being dredged at this moment.

Sorry I didn't notice the previous post until now--will be making the trip from Texas in 2 weeks. Anyone else headed to west coast of Florida from Texas let me know.

Cheers,
Mark
mkfcdl@yahoo.com