Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2006

alan.b is on a distinguished road
rubber washer for keel bolts

I am a student in the UK and I have to complete assignment for my course work which I have to ask for expert advise, I would be greatful for any help.
The question is which rubber for washers you would use to to fix in keel bolts and why?
Many thanks for any advise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2006

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I don't think that I would use a rubber washer under a keel bolt. Keel bolts need to be torqued tp a very high tension. They need to maintain this tension through a pretty wide range of loadings with negligible elongation. That would discourage the use of a compressible washer. If a comperssible washer had to be used, I would think that urethane washer would be the best material for that purpose. Urethane can be specified in a range of stiffness, and I would guess that the least compressive urethane might work. Urethane can be ordered in a formulation that is stable with prolonged exposure to water. With some Urethanes are some issues when exposed to petrochemicals for prolonged periods as might accidently happen in a bilge.

Jeff
Old 02-20-2006

Silmaril is on a distinguished road
A thought...

I agree with Jeff 100% for using washers inside the hull, under the nuts for the keel bolts.

In a completely "Outside the box" thought, you COULD use rubber washers, if the intent was to make the holes water tight in this fashion, although I can find no practical reason anyone would.

If this is truly for course work, and for theoretical use only:

One could use rubber washers, of a stable rtv silicone type, if the keel had shallow machined cavities for the washers around the keel bolts, where the cavity was designed so that the washer formed a slight compression seal around the bolt and the hull as the keel bolts were tightened from above. The cavity SHOULD NOT be machined into the hull, as this would weaken the hull under the nuts for the keel bolts. This whole process would be too labor intensive in practicality, but as an answer to a classroom question, that is how I would do it.
Old 02-20-2006

paulk is on a distinguished road
Rubblebars

When we raced as youngsters, we often thought it great fun to sail by other boats and advise them (with great concern) that their rubbblebars were loose. Leaving it to our competitor to determine exactly what a rubblebar was, and how to tighten it. Suggesting the use of rubber washers for keelbolts would seem to fall under the same situation: a total fallacy. Rubber is called for when compressible or elastic qualities are needed because things are moving. A keel, by definition, is something you do NOT want to move - the rest of the boat is built upon it! If it is moving, it is going to leak - this is the problem the Volvo RTW boats are having right now; their keels are moving and water is getting in. Perhaps a rubber GASKET, which would compress and keep water out, would be indicated in a hull/keel joint, but this is not the question you posed. Individual washers on a standard keel would not perform the same way and would probably serve to create leaks because of the differences in the tightened spaces and how they would allow the keel to work, because of their compressibility. I would suggest going back to your professor and asking for clarification of this issue. Sounds like he's sending you to look for the head keelson spanner- a standard joke for the newest crew on a submarine.
Old 02-21-2006

d kleitz is on a distinguished road
keel bolts iin usa have stainles steel lock washers
they are torqued to large ft lbs, this crush rubber
del kleitz catalina 27

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.