Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Alternative to Solar

Considering the fact of being at anchor, I wonder if the pull of the boat against the anchor could somehow be harnessed as a boat continually swings in the wind. Considering the tremendous current that runs through some spots like the Ft. Matanzas anchorage and others on the ICW or on the Hudson River makes me think that there must be a way to convert some of that energy while anchored.
Allmayer-Beck (03-11-2014)
Old 03-02-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

O-
Why be a pessimist, when the mechanical problem was solved some 60 years ago (self-winding wristwatches) and updated more than a decade ago with Seiko's "Kinetic" series, which use a small dynamo to generate electricity to power their watches the same way?

Bobbing, rocking, rolling, all could easily turn a dynamo and generate electricity. How much motion, how much bulk, how much cost, how much output, these are all trivial variables compared to the larger question of a tiny niche market.

There are much larger projects to use ocean tidal/wave motions to turn dynamos in a similar way. of course, they're on a much larger scale and unlike boats, those locations are chosen to be in motion rather than at calm rest.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to hellosailor For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

I've always wondered why the East River around Hell Gate or Woods Hole have not been harnessed somehow to generate electricity. Wind blows sometimes, tide always runs. In Woods, it would seem better than the hairbrained idea of constructing wind turbines in Buzzard's Bay.
Old 03-03-2014

capt vimes is on a distinguished road

There is a project on the east river...
RITE Project - Verdant Power
I learned about that some years ago, but do not know if it has been taken further...
The Following User Says Thank You to capt vimes For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2014

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
O-
Why be a pessimist, when the mechanical problem was solved some 60 years ago (self-winding wristwatches) and updated more than a decade ago with Seiko's "Kinetic" series, which use a small dynamo to generate electricity to power their watches the same way?

Bobbing, rocking, rolling, all could easily turn a dynamo and generate electricity. How much motion, how much bulk, how much cost, how much output, these are all trivial variables compared to the larger question of a tiny niche market.

There are much larger projects to use ocean tidal/wave motions to turn dynamos in a similar way. of course, they're on a much larger scale and unlike boats, those locations are chosen to be in motion rather than at calm rest.
Yes maybe you're right but the fact is that a kinetic watch uses absolutely minute amounts of electricity. Multiply the generated power by 1000 and that technology will probably provide enough power to run one LED but you have a device that won't fit into your boat. And Seiko Kinetic holds as minute a portion of the watch market - if they were that good we'd all be wearing one.

Also, the first generator that was designed to use wave action was done over a century ago and still very few have lasted or keep working anywhere in the world. The list of inventions is long, the money poured into it is immense, the list of successful installations is pitiful.

And then of course I believe the point of my post went by you - I make a considerable science out of finding places to anchor were my boat will not bob, rock or roll. The harder I try and the better I get at it, the less any such device will deliver. I can't see any sailor choosing a rolly anchorage just get back 10 amp hours over a night. It's a contradiction in terms.

And finally, my pessimism lies in the fact that energy world wide is a trillion dollar industry and hundreds of millions of dollars of R&D have not yielded a system like this and now someone is developing one in their garage? Especially for yachts?? Yes of course they are. I can't wait.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
The Following User Says Thank You to Omatako For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

It's true that we try to find the calmest spot to anchor but in my experience, those spots are quite often not in the plan. Unfortunately when traveling longer distances, it's a case of choosing the best of the worst. If I remember correctly, Bill Gates did something of some importance in a garage:-) The sailboat and cruising market is miniscule. I think there are probably many, many useful inventions yet to be discovered.
Old 03-03-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt vimes View Post
There is a project on the east river...
RITE Project - Verdant Power
I learned about that some years ago, but do not know if it has been taken further...
I'd heard about that years ago. Every time I look at one of those GIGANTIC container ships, it occurs to me that if the energy in their displacement being moved up and down by the rise and fall of tide, could be somehow converted to mechanical rotation, it'd have to be a lot of ergs.
Old 03-03-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

smurph-
The Hell Gate is comparatively shallow. About a hundred year ago the government tunneled under the river bottom, set off one of the biggest explosions in history, and dropped acres of the bottom down about ten feet in order to gain some depth. (Incredible project, very interesting reading.) So obstructing that passage with anything in the water would be a fast no-go.

The project in the East River, to the west of Welfare Island, was supplying power IIRC to the supermarket on the island but they've spent years trying to get it to work consistently and to study environmental issues like fish kills. Apparently putting windmills underwater just hasn't been working out very well, which is one reason folks are trying "motion" shakers and other concepts.
Old 03-03-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

Yeah, it's always seemed like a bad idea to try to put any kind of turbine underwater except in small applications such as small stream generators designed for individual use. Those can just be cleaned out by hand and they really don't produce a whole lot of power for the cost. There's so much stuff like old pilings, etc. around NY Harbor that anything underwater I'd think would be constantly at risk of clogging. There's probably not much elevation change along the E. River to get a decent head of water in either direction such as with a typical river flowing downhill.
Old 03-03-2014
Plausible Deniability

" There's probably not much elevation change along the E. River to get a decent head of water in either direction "
The East River isn't really a river and it is pretty much all always at sea level, as is the Hudson off Manhattan. But elevation isn't needed, there's about a 3 knot reversing current all day and all night, from tidal changes in the "flooded estuary" which is what all the waters surrounding NYC actually are. Most of the time, you can actually observe a tidal bore going up the Hudson twice daily, as the incoming ocean waters push up and inland.
Enclosed turbines are fine for stream generators, but this ain't no stream. (G)

Tags
battery charger , renewable energy , solar panel