Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By benesailor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2014
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road
Cheap Place to Store Boats

Im building some Self-Storage Facilities and Mini-Storage here in Nashville. So I was thinking how it would it go to build some off the the Gulf Of Mexico not right on the water but maybe a mile or two from the water.Have a way to move sailboats and motor boats to and from. I was thinking how much it is to store boats and how cheap self-storage units rents for. I know the mast will have to come down.
I may be way off on this idea please let me know what you think, and how much you would pay to store up to a 40' boat inside? Maybe even have power in the units where you could work on them on the inside. Like I said I may be way off on this idea, but who knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Cheap Place to Store Boats

Wouldn't it be easier to build a giant building and keep the boats inside? From a square footage perspective you'd get much more efficient use of your space than with a mini-storage set-up. Also, think about how you'd get the boat in and out, and blocked. Granted the later concerns are largely logistical (you "just" have to make the unit wide enough), but something to think about.

In an area like the gulf coast, too, why would you take your boat out for an extended period of time? Makes sense in the northeast, but down there aren't the boats in the water most of the year?
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-27-2014
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

I think there are places that have inside storage for even larger boats. I want to say up North or North East. Might be able to "shop around" what they charge to get an idea.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 02-28-2014

Kalina-Lona is on a distinguished road

Solon,

If I had a boat on the Gulf, I'm pretty sure it would be in the water most of the time? If it required service, I'm sure I'd be looking to stay close to a service marina on the water and not wanting to require transport and move further inland?

BTW, did you purchase a sailboat?

Cheers,
Old 02-28-2014

benesailor is on a distinguished road

I could see the use for hurricane protection or long term storage over the summer as the snowbirds travel north. You would need a good size hydraulic trailer to get them to and from a Marina. Conditioned airspace would be nice, but expensive.
Up north we use very large buildings for winter storage. Some you can do maintenance in some not. They have limited power as well. Typically; for a 40' boat in the Central (the real upstate/lake ontario) region it runs somewhere between 800 - 1500 dollars for Oct to May. Not including unstepping/stepping mast, crane time, travel lift time and transiting the canal for 2-3 days to location. This is an additional $500-600.

I find it hard to believe that it would be viable down there because of the cost.

WHAT would work. Build a large flat CLEAN fenced in yard with security, well inland (5 miles), where individuals could park their boats cheap and be able to work on them. need this............

Several Acres
Gravel base, no mud
Boat tie-downs/ hurricane anchor tie-downs
Fence
Power for equipment
Lighting; for security
Restrooms
Controlled access
Hydraulic trailer for boats up to 45'/15-20 ton, cheap delivery service
Low rates/ daily and monthly rates.......$20 day/$250 a month
shrink wrap service

This would be a better service i think for down there in your region. Don't forget to inquire about insurance rates for a building like that. Could be a deal breaker.
jimgo likes this.
Old 02-28-2014

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road

Actually I think your idea has merit. I moved to the mountains of NC and the boat is a 6 hour drive from here on the east coast. I will only be able to use the boat twice a year for maybe a two week period in the spring and then again in the fall. I much prefer keeping the boat on the hard when not in use since I'm so far away and if reasonable cost for such storage and launching can be obtained then I would take advantage.
Old 02-28-2014

THEFRENCHA is on a distinguished road

40 ft boats are shipped inside containers across oceans
Always thought about loading boats on containers on land and then pile containers 2 or 3 stakes high Easy to have electricity adapted to each container for minimum heating and plenty of room to move around and work on the boat Masts would be stored outside
Old 02-28-2014
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the replies they are all very helpful. I'm just looking for some good investments. I will check into and do some research on the up north part.
The post about one large warehouse sounds pretty good.. Maybe have some chain link fence to separate sections on the inside of warehouse.
Thanks for all the god post and keep them coming. This maybe like all my great ideas I'm always years behind on them..lol

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.