Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2014

tomandchris is on a distinguished road
Re: BoatBound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
Chartering boats is a high-touch activity and I dont personally think it can be handled via a website, plus I'd agree that 35% too high relative to the rates charged by existing service which from my experience runs more to 15-20%.
Not sure what you refer to as "existing service"? This is certainly not a typical charter service, as they don't prep the boat, check it back in, and most importantly so far...market it!

Typical charter services do the above, as well as service the boat for the owners (which they charge for in addition to a percentage of the revenue. That percentage, however, is much closer to 50% of total revenue. They also might be getting a larger charter fee than this service as they usually provide newer boats marketed well.

I had a boat in a midwest charter fleet and was mostly happy with the results. This contract, with little to no solid contact with the charter customer, sounds like something I would be very uncomfortable with. Accidents can happen with charterers that are checked out. Those that fill out a form may be a little more accident prone...or not.

Last edited by tomandchris; 07-27-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Yes, I am interested in any experience with them, but in particular boat owners experience.

Thanks!
After I heard about Boatbound, I thought it might be a good way to add a bit of income to the cruising kitty. I emailed them with our information, specifically asking if they were interested in a boat in the Caribbean. No reply.
So I filled out the forms and several days later received a reply that they did NOT handle boats in the Caribbean, but perhaps if I checked back in a year or so? Great, I'd only wasted a little bit of time. Then, for the next 6 weeks or so, I kept getting emails from them, saying that there were a few more things I needed to do to complete my application. Why? They aren't interested in our boat. So I email them, telling them once again, I'm in the Caribbean and unless they have changed their policy, well you know. More emails, more requests that they stop. And more. Do you have any idea how tiresome this is on a slow, island ISP?
Finally, after perhaps 25 emails it stops. Whew.
Even if they do start operations down this way, I certainly won't be a part of it, at any price!
eherlihy (08-05-2014)
Old 08-04-2014
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
So far it all seems easy, until it comes time for them to supply a surveyor. My boat is just over 25 yrs old and the last survey was 3 years ago. According to their own rules someone should be contacting me to do a one hour walk through "survey" of safety equipment, etc....tick tock.

I do, however, keep getting emails reminding me to have my boat surveyed.

Also have multiple reservation requests.... tick tock.

My insurance will probably triple but I almost NEVER use my boat on weekends.

I'll update this if anything exciting happens.

Update: I emailed them again. Nothing.

I have had to tell a total of five prospective customers "no" due to boatbounds failure to follow through.

What a waste of time.

I am getting more spam now. Most of it is boating related so I'm pretty sure they sold my personal Info.
eherlihy likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to RobGallagher For This Useful Post:
eherlihy (08-05-2014)
Old 08-04-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

While the extra income from renting stuff like houses and boats sounds like it might be worth it, people tend to abuse things they don't own. Even lending out tools usually results in lost parts or getting it back in pieces. It seems to be a built in element of human nature, at least for some to trash rented stuff like cars, for instance.
eherlihy and jimrafford like this.
Old 08-05-2014
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kptmorgan04 View Post
Will provide feedback if I end up using the service.
Any update?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 08-05-2014

Slayer is on a distinguished road

With all the boats sitting unused on moorings on even the most beautiful sailing days, I've always thought there should be more services like this. It could certainly defray the cost of owning a boat, but I see the downside too. The ideal situation would be if owners found repeat renters that they trusted. But ideal situations are hard to come by.
Old 08-05-2014
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
With all the boats sitting unused on moorings on even the most beautiful sailing days, I've always thought there should be more services like this. It could certainly defray the cost of owning a boat, but I see the downside too. The ideal situation would be if owners found repeat renters that they trusted. But ideal situations are hard to come by.
If they're sitting unused, it is extraordinarily unlikely that they're worth paying money to charter.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 4 Weeks Ago
HANUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
If they're sitting unused, it is extraordinarily unlikely that they're worth paying money to charter.
I would disagree. I'm on my boat 2 days/3 nights, mid-week, EVERY week May - Nov. Weekends are open 90% of the time. I've been at the same yard since 2001 and people there think my boat never leaves the mooring because they are weekend warriors.

I can't stand to be anyplace near a marina on a weekend. It's horrible. Mid week it's just me and the relaxed old retired sailors

I know other people who spend loads of time maintaining with loving care, yet get pulled back from the shore with birthday parties, BBQ's, driving the kids to games, etc.

My last girlfriend had me doing the "right thing" by dividing the time up with her sailing with me and then things she liked to do. Used the boat about 50% of what I normally would. I just couldn't take it. Imagine - sunny, seas less than 1 ft, wind 10 - 15 and I'm at the friggen Coach store.

Anyway... an update on Boatbound.com - Still never heard back from them. I have had five people contact me about charters... I apprehensive about giving my boat to a stranger anyway.
eherlihy likes this.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
HANUMAN

Yesterday I finally received a reply from boat bound. Here is a cut an paste:

"Hi Robert,

I'm so sorry for the delayed response.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to find a surveyor in your area that is willing to inspect your vessel. I will continue trying and once I find a surveyor I will intro you immediately.

Again sorry for any inconvenience I have caused and hopefully your vessel will be approved and bookable on the site soon!

Cheers,

--
Patrick D
Boatbound Support"

How is it possible they cannot find a surveyor in or near Mystic CT? There are two possibilities. 1. They have not really tried. OR 2. They are not willing to pay a qualified surveyor what they are worth.

In the mean time, I just turned down my sixth potential customer today.

What a horrible waste of my time.

I only post this hoping that I can save fellow listers some of their valuable time.

This will probably be my last update...
The Following User Says Thank You to RobGallagher For This Useful Post:
eherlihy (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I would disagree. I'm on my boat 2 days/3 nights, mid-week, EVERY week May - Nov.
Your boat is not sitting unused, and thus not relevant to my statement.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)