Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: BoatBound?

Rob, I'd bet on your #2, that they're just not willing to pay local market rate. Odds are they are trying to do a deal like "you survey our boats, we'll give you lots of business, but we only pay $$ per visit flat rate" and of course, that doesn't always work.

You'd figure their cut of six missed charters would pay for an awfully expensive surveyor...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2014
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

If you have a SAMS/AMS survey that is less than 2 years old, I believe that BB will accept that.

Also, my understanding is that BB had a "network" of surveyors that would do a BB survey for $100... The boat owner was responsible for paying the $100 fee, or it could be deducted from the payment to the owner from the first rental. Now that "network" may just be one surveyor, and they may not offer that anymore.

They also have a standardized form that any SAMS / AMS Surveyor can fill out. You can find that form here: https://app.box.com/s/yvnt3pt2nkq37wt1a8gf

In addition,
Quote:
If your boat is 30' or less in length and is between 11-25 years old, your boat can be approved by completing a Boatbound Self-Survey Inspection. The inspection form consists of two sections, a written portion and photos. The written section requires a basic rundown of the boat (engine, navigation equipment, safety equipment etc.), while the photo section requires the following photos of your vessel:

Overall Boat - Bow, Stern, Port & Starboard
Outboard Engine(s) - Overall Engine, Lower Unit & Propeller
Inboard Engine(s) - Overall Engine, Propeller & Shaft
I/O Engine(s) - Overall Engine & Outdrive Inc. Propeller/Skeg
Steering Station - On Tower & Cockpit
Hull ID - If photo is not clear please take a rubbing and supply photo of the rubbing
Trailer - If applicable
Once we have received your signed and completed Boatbound Self-Survey, we will immediately forward the form to our insurance provider and should receive an answer within 2-3 business days.
My boat is 35 feet and 27 years old (and my interest in allowing others to charter my boat has waned), so the self-survey does not apply.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 08-17-2014
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

I found the info on their brief survey;
Quote:
No you don't need to pay for the Boatbound Inspection. Essentially, a Boatbound Inspection would be a NAMS (NAMSGlobal - Welcome Aboard | NAMSGlobal) or SAMS (The Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors, Inc.® - (SAMS®)) surveyor conducting a brief 1 hour inspection. The inspection would cost $100. So let me know if the following works:

We would have our surveyor come and inspect your boat. We would then pay the surveyor $100 and once you receive your first booking we take out $100 out of your first payout. Does this work? If so, please let me know, and I will see if I can set up an inspection with our surveyor within the next week or two.

For more information on how Boatbound reduces the cost of boat ownership, follow this link: https://boatbound.co/why-list

Look forward to hearing from you and if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to message back or call me directly at (415) 601-3908.

--
Patrick D
Boatbound Support
support.boatbound.co

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems