Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2014

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road
Re: What stops Americans cruising the world?

I'm starting to think that the OP started this thread to "have a go" at Americans. He's certainly doing a good job of it.
Downeaster 38 #40

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle38 View Post
I'm starting to think that the OP started this thread to "have a go" at Americans. He's certainly doing a good job of it.
I don't know that that was his intent. The only thing that slightly annoyed me (and it's not just with this thread) is when everyone - Europeans, Americans, [insert group] - are painted with such a wide brush with no regard to individual tastes. As for this thread, there are any number of reasons why any specific American is not cruising Europe. Also, it's a big world. Europe isn't the only place to go, however nice it is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 03-03-2014

magdiego is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
I have not sailed to America as yet so I don't know how hard it is to get a visa or how expensive it is in comparison.
Just curious, what stops you from sailing to America?
Old 03-03-2014

ctl411 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
I think the reason for the lack of American cruisers is the economy, as mentioned above. It is WAY worse than anyone in government is admitting. The middle class has either fallen out of that category or is scared sh%$#ess that they are headed into the abyss. Everyone senses that the American economy is a deck of cards and is hunkered down. What you see in all the marinas are big-bucks boats that seem to never move; dockside condos and very few regular folks with modest cruising boats. I used to see a lot of older, affordable boats like mine but now there are very few indeed. The polarization of wealth and destruction of the middle class is very apparent on the waterways.
The "middle class" never sailed to Europe, we flew once but that is gone now also.
Old 03-03-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
The "middle class" never sailed to Europe, we flew once but that is gone now also.
no it hasn't
Old 03-03-2014

Rozz is on a distinguished road

This is a fairly complex issue actually. Generaly speaking, us 'Mericans are very self-absorbed. When we do travel, we want it now and to the point. There is so much to see here, why go somewhere else thatís going to take me away for more than two weeks and i have a bunch of prep work to do beforehand.... ehhh naw im good.

Then there is the other side of us that want to travel overseas... we will get around to it when we retire. If I work hard, take my two weeks of vacation with my family locally, I can do this in my 60's. By then bug has crawled out and the itch has faded and we get r.v.'s and wonder around the country.

Then there is the fear, almost schitzo... the world loves Americans either to shake hands with them or mostly to cut off their head or ransom us.

I have had the fortunate life of being raised with my grandmother, so I spent my summer vacations (she was a Deaf school Counselor so she had summers off) traveling the country one end to the other seeing family and friends. Thereís not much I havenít seen here. I then have gone off to see other parts of the world, mostly pretty hostile or extremely poor areas. This leaves the Med, Australia, and south Pacific as my last areas I want to sail to. I had it all set, but now my significant other has traveled all of about 500mi in her life and wants to see America (sigh), so here I am, pushed off my plans to get her trained and wanting to be my cruising companion.

As for all the other complications, I have will and have a way, I will do it. Im not the average American though. This almost introvert ideology we have makes me smirk.
capt vimes likes this.
1967 Bristol 29 #35
Old 03-03-2014
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by magdiego View Post
Just curious, what stops you from sailing to America?
Don't give him any ideas...
Minnewaska and Sal Paradise like this.
Old 03-03-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafrontiersman View Post
I've heard that from others too and I don't doubt it, I've been to Crete but only for two days. I am also looking forward to spending a bit more time in Britain and Ireland.

Europe is GREAT and I'm surprised to hear that more cruisers from the US don't make a trip there. The people all over Europe, especially from smaller towns and rural areas, are great and there is a LOT to see. Just act like a gentleman, respect local customs, and obey the laws and you are good to go!
Some inside information: just don't miss what the Greeks call the small Cyclades. Their small size puts them out of the main touristic routes and there you would find mostly Greeks. You will be many times the only boat on anchorage and people are very nice. It is touristic but kind of laid back and easy. I was there last year and I will try to pass there this year again.

Island-hopping: Greece's Small Cyclades | Travel | The Guardian

Small Cyclades

Regards

Paulo

The Following User Says Thank You to PCP For This Useful Post:
seafrontiersman (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I don't get your point. Equally good but different means what is said. Two great different cruising locations with different strong high points. For wild I mean more close to its natural state, less men transformed places. I like those places as much as the ones where a rich culture leaved their traces for tens of thousands of years. I like them for different reasons.

I don't understand your susceptibility and I cannot see any confrontational attitude from my part.

Regards

Paulo
Do you really not understand that people may be offended if you tell them that their countries are lacking in "history, culture, food and traditional architecture?"

Did it ever come to your mind that there is a rich and varied culture in the different countries of the Caribbean? That they may have food which may be as interesting as, gasp, Portuguese fare? Some of their architecture is about a half millenium old, is that traditional enough for you? Yes, I know there is even older stuff in the Med but did you consider that one reason why there is less of it in the Caribbean is because of Europeans who destroyed it, and killed off the "natives?"

See what I mean by eurocentric?
Roadking Larry likes this.
Old 03-03-2014

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Some inside information: just don't miss what the Greeks call the small Cyclades. Their small size puts them out of the main touristic routes and there you would find mostly Greeks. You will be many times the only boat on anchorage and people are very nice. It is touristic but kind of laid back and easy. I was there last year and I will try to pass there this year again.

Island-hopping: Greece's Small Cyclades | Travel | The Guardian

Small Cyclades

Regards

Paulo
OK, Paulo, finally something we can agree on. I loved sailing in the cyclades, at least the lesser-known islands. I could do without Thera (Santorini) and Mykonos but the smaller islands are pure gems.