Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: What stops Americans cruising the world?

i think the title killed off much interest in this thread...unfortunately, kind of like a trigger for some...

and it has now become political and cultural question or theme versus say how long can I stay in europe? or why do cruisers from the american continent not visit europe as much as euro cruisers visit the caribe or south pacific? etc...

from my point of view being a dual citizen born in a 3rd country and having parents from different countries as well as languages Im more inclined to argue for worldy views, travel, anywhere...and enjoy cultures

that does not mean I dissrispect those who are very true to their roots and traditions...and like to stay put more...and its true some places are hard to leave so why leave?

so with that in mind my only beef is with ignorant people that have an attitude...that is one thing(found worldwide btw) that trully irks me

when someone lacks travel, knowledge or simple cultural acknowledgment of other countries, persons and cultures, languages too that really does make me mad cause saying something like I never want to see greece or france, or bolivia or china or whatever simply because you have formed some sort of opinion based on bias or hate or listening to the news too much it just irks me.

makes me sad too

its one thing to not be able to travel to places based on $$ or options, or time than simply saying I would never travel to europe just cause..

but thats me...

cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Last edited by christian.hess; 03-03-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2014

capt vimes is on a distinguished road

Christian - while i agree with all of what you said, i have to mention that everybody is biased in one way or the other...
Be it from education, own experience or pure stupidity...
One could only try to realize their own misinformation and bias and try to not let it take over.
Old 03-03-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"I have to say that when we were there the Americans general understanding of Geography was bad. "
And the average American thinks "New Mexico" is a foreign nation, and couldn't write a list of all fifty states, let alone the eleven insular possessions like Puerto Rico. That's got nothing to do with the EU or anyplace else, that's just called a mediocre educational system followed up by years of other things to be concerned with.

"It does amaze me that you are worried about violence abroad yet have guns at home."
It does amaze me that you could confuse the two so badly. I have a fire extinguisher. In fact, I have several fire extinguishers. That doesn't mean I'm obsessed with fire, or that I'm especially worried by the thought of having a fire. In fact quite the contrary: Because I have a fire extinguisher, I worry less about having ANOTHER fire. Yes, I've had need to them in the past, and I find that having the means to deal with something, whether it is violence or fire, means you can worry less about what to do when something bad happens. And carry on without worrying, if you're lucky enough that it doesn't happen.

As one man said when our Coast Guard recovered him, ten miles offshore in a rubber inner tube float, still calmly fishing: Well, what else was I going to do while I was stuck out here?
Old 03-03-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt vimes View Post
Christian - while i agree with all of what you said, i have to mention that everybody is biased in one way or the other...
Be it from education, own experience or pure stupidity...
One could only try to realize their own misinformation and bias and try to not let it take over.
exactly...never stop learning or yearning is what I tell myself....or try to...

another way of speaking of which bias Im talking about is subjective narrow mindedness not just bias as a whole.

we are all biased like you say in some ways its respecting other opinions thats hard but must be done...

Id hate for everyone to think like me or someone else as what fun would that be for travelling?

It would suck to cruise to a country exactly LIKE YOURS WOULDNT IT? JAJAJA no fun in that really

again thats my biased opinion! jajaja

Old 03-03-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle38 View Post
I'm starting to think that the OP started this thread to "have a go" at Americans. He's certainly doing a good job of it.
Nah, I don't think so... However, I do believe his premise is flawed, there actually ARE plenty of American 'yachtsmen' cruising the Med...

He's just been looking for the wrong flag, is all... :-)

Even the most novice American sailors can be surprisingly intrepid... How many among us would head over to the Med on the first boat we ever owned, such as Bill Joy has done with a 'Starter Boat' like ETHEREAL...

I'm guessing he doesn't fret much over no stinkin' Schengen rules and regulations... :-)
copacabana likes this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 03-03-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-03-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Do you really not understand that people may be offended if you tell them that their countries are lacking in "history, culture, food and traditional architecture?"

Did it ever come to your mind that there is a rich and varied culture in the different countries of the Caribbean? That they may have food which may be as interesting as, gasp, Portuguese fare? Some of their architecture is about a half millenium old, is that traditional enough for you? Yes, I know there is even older stuff in the Med but did you consider that one reason why there is less of it in the Caribbean is because of Europeans who destroyed it, and killed off the "natives?"

See what I mean by eurocentric?
I did not said that there was not an interesting culture regarding all aspects on the Caribbean as I had not said that there are not also some wild natural places untouched on the Med. I said that wild and virgin nature is more common on the Caribbean and that culture that are an heritage of all humanity in all forms is more common on the med. After all it is there the berth of the western culture and civilization.

There are many other culturally interesting places that does not reach the status of world heritage value but the difference in the number of those sites on the Med and the Caribbean is a very good indicator of the cultural density between the two locations:

UNESCO World Heritage Centre - World Heritage List

I am talking here about culture as in its broader form including, Sculpture, painting ,architecture (Vernacular and Erudite), music, museums, history and food among other aspects.

I don't think this has nothing of Eurocentric and regarding you could do without Santorini it is dificult to understand for me since it is not only a great natural scenic place as it has some of the best examples of the Cyclades traditional Architecture.

but maybe the fact that you don't see the interest in Santorini (Tera) explains why you think that there is not anything special about the med in what regards culture or that it can be comparable with what you find on the Caribbean in quantity and quality.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 03-03-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-03-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

speaking of history I had a wonderful time reading the book CARRIBEAN forgot the author but it was fictional based on history, a big book that I thought was great...

the carribean is most definetly not lacking in history, culture or architecture...its just different...

thats like saying Peru is missing in acrhitecture but simply because you cant appreciate precisely fitted stones that NO european to date have been able to replicate and I mean that...

there is so much to learn and appreciate...

...each culture has its own "thing" if you will

Old 03-03-2014
MikeGuyver

MikeGuyver is on a distinguished road

James Michner, Caribbean

And yes I believe the Maya came and went before much of Eurore was settled, their history is recorded in their architecture, some near 13,000 years old. Art, history, culture ? none is better or worse than another, different yes.
Yes, I would like to see some of Europe's art and culture. My reason for not actually going there is more climatically driven, I've spent 60 winters in the north,(aka cold & wet) and I've had enough. It's time for tropical breezes, fruity drinks with little umbrellas and bikini clad ladies runnin around...
shoes off, toes in the warm sand. Yup, you can have Europe, Canada,and Siberia I'm headed south before the river freezes again. It'd be Caribbean if I wasn't on the left coast so it's margaritas instead of pina coladas......and that is why Americans don't visit Europe and Europeans visit the Caribbean
Old 03-03-2014

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
re. Santorini (Tera)
Thanks Paulo. We'll be in Santorini for a couple of days at the beginning of July. Now I'll have friggin' Yani going through my head! Freakin' Yani!!!

Could be worse I suppose: Nana Mouskouri.

Ah well, the scenery and food look amazing.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 03-03-2014

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

[quote=PCP;1589329]... culture that are an heritage of all humanity in all forms is more common on the med. After all it is there the berth of the western culture and civilization.
[\QUOTE]

Oh yes, I agree with your last sentence. But by "Western culture" you mean European culture. Which is quite important but, you know, there are other civilizations besides it, some really quite old and important...

Do I have to translate "eurocentric?" It means centered on Europe. Which is what you are, as I have been saying all along.

I could not have made the point better than you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post

...maybe the fact that you don't see the interest in Santorini (Tera) explains why you think that there is not anything special about the med in what regards culture or that it can be comparable with what you find on the Caribbean in quantity and quality.

Regards

Paulo
Oh well, I thought there was something we could agree on.

First, where did I say 'there isn't anything special in the Med?' I have traveled in most countries bordering the Med, many times, and I did not do that because I did not like it (let's see, left to right: I have visited Spain, France, Italy, Yugoslavia when it was still there, Greece, Turkey, Israel, Egypt. Each on separate trips, most countries more than once. Alas, only some of them by boat). But that does not mean that I see it as the navel of the world and nothing else comes close to it. There are many other beautiful, interesting and culturally fascinating places in the world.

Now, Santorini: Yes, it looks very spiffy on the pretty postcards. Actually, I have to admit it even looks pretty in real life. I just found it way too touristic for my taste.

My favorites were the small islands in the Cyclades, with a small agora with houses in which actual Greeks lived, rather than hotels serving Germans and Brits (and now Russians, too). Where you go with your plastic water bottles to the supermarket and fill them up with white wine made right on the island, for a couple Euros. Where the other boats in the port are not super yachts but the local fishermen that sell you squid right off their boat.

True, they do look a bit less spiffy on a postcard than Santorini. But somehow I prefer them over Santorini and Mykonos.

To each their own, I suppose.

Last edited by MastUndSchotbruch; 03-03-2014 at 10:34 PM.