Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2014

Nostrodamus is on a distinguished road
Re: What stops Americans cruising the world?

This thread has now run on quiet a while and as usual it has drifted quiet a bit. That is no bad thing as it shows other things as well.
I have been accused of being biased and ill informed which I tried not to be but I obviously was.
Having read all the replies I will give a couple of answers and then summarise what I have learnt or think I have learnt. No doubt I will be shot at again but if you are going to ask a question or give your own views you should accept that.

We do want to sail to every place in the world but that is never going to happen. My ambition has always been to get to New Zealand. I don't know why it just has been. We were going to sail states side next year but our youngest son left the boat to start his own life and we wanted to make sure he was settled. Women in general need to know there offspring is ok and that they can get to them quickly if need be. We are both on the boat doing this and she has the right to say what she would like as much as me. On this occasion I agree with her so we have deferred the trip.

From the thread.
From the replies on here I think that Americans or those who have replied have less inclination to travel away from there own country as Europeans. I agree it is far easier for us to travel within Europe. Most places have cheap flights and are only a few hours away.
Europeans seem to have more curiosity about other countries. We like to go to another country on our vacations even though we cannot speak the language but we will try and learn.
I don't know if it is down to American media, government or pre conceptions but I felt from this thread that Americans think that so many other countries hate Americans. I think you would find that you will be welcome in most places with open arms. As a few have said.. treat people right and you will be right. We have felt far less fear of crime in the countries we have visited than our own. Americans seem very deepley patriotic about there country which is no bad thing but because someone questions that life please don't think we are having a go. Sometimes we are trying to learn.

Money... People seem concerned that they do no have enough money... we were the same but if you have a dream and want that dream to become a reality then it can be done. We sold our house and everything we had to buy a boat and live on a pension. What we are doing though is living.
Visas... we will probably find it harder and will be checked far more when we sail to America that you will find it here. We will still go and do it though. Life is full of problems but they are challenges and any sailor likes a challenge. It will not put us off or stop us coming so put some beers in the fridge for us.

I have enjoyed the thread, hopefully learnt something and thank everyone who has contributed.

Now no doubt I will be attacked over my thoughts but they are only my thoughts. I always stand to be corrected and accept that I have a lot to learn.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2014

Nostrodamus is on a distinguished road

Oh and by the way it is my birthday today so please be kind..for one day at least.

What did I ask for.... nothing. We cannot afford it.
What did I get .........Nothing, we cannot afford it.

What have I got.... More than I could ever have wished for. Living this life is living and I truly feel they richest and most blessed person on earth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-04-2014

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
Oh and by the way it is my birthday today so please be kind..for one day at least.
Many happy returns.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 03-04-2014

seafrontiersman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post

What did I ask for.... nothing. We cannot afford it.
What did I get .........Nothing, we cannot afford it.

What have I got.... More than I could ever have wished for. Living this life is living and I truly feel they richest and most blessed person on earth.
Happy birthday!
Fair winds and following seas....
Old 03-04-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Happy Birthday, N. I'm not big on birthday gifts, so whether one can afford them or not, we have something in common. I prefer the company of my family and friends for my birthday. No presents.

I hope you don't receive this as an attack, but I disagree with your conclusion on Americans and you seem convinced of what you thought to start, not what you learned here.

First, your OP focused on cruisers, not the general population. Cruisers in America, or Europe for that matter, are going to be predominantly on the upper end of the economic spectrum. As I literally pondered every single person I know with a cruising boat, I can't think of a single one that hasn't traveled abroad. It would take me an hour to think of every city and country I've ever been within. The cruising population can't be compared to a taxi driver or typical Disney vacationer. A generalization you've still not acknowledged you made in error.

Secondly, the accessibility of foreign borders and other languages in Europe is far different from the US. The distance to travel from New England to Florida, a very commonly traveled route for those that are frozen in up here, is greater than it would take to cross all of Europe. I just flew from FL to NY yesterday. It was 78F degs in sunny palm trees when I left and -8F when I landed.

America is large enough to have everything from glaciers to deserts and from mountains to oceans. I've enjoyed visiting Europe, in fact, my wife is a British citizen. But, you can't draw conclusions on an entire country that dwarfs Europe, from a visit to Disney or a few posts on the internet. Including, however you may receive mine.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 03-04-2014 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-04-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

Nostrodamus

you completely overlooked the assertions made in regards the relative difficulty of travelling by boat as compared to flight, to Europe. Several folks made that observation: it's easier to just fly to Europe and either charter or just travel inland.
Old 03-04-2014

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

As to theOP question;

Time
Money
Inclination

While I don't necessarily have a desire to "do" Europe; reading thru the "Visa" thread/s has surely curedme. There's just too many (similar to Europe) places in US territorial and friendly (CA) waters to even bother with any place else. Those that are driven to ply the Big Blue? Bless ya! And yer probably better inclined to deal with the headaches.

Not me; but that's just my humble opinion and YMM.
Old 03-04-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Nostradamus-
As they say in racing school "Get your head out of the boat!". You're suffering from perspective.
"...Americans or those who have replied have less inclination to travel away from there own country as Europeans. I agree it is far easier for us to travel within Europe."
You've got that backwards. The first time I had a relative from overseas visiting, we took a roadtrip. Four hours on the highway and she asked why we hadn't crossed any Customs stations yet. Well, for the vast majority of America? You can drive twelve hours and you're still in America. You can drive 24 hours and STILL BE IN AMERICA. So it is not a matter of being less inclined, but simply a matter of any short trip being a trip that can't reach the borders. Oh sure, you can fly. And again, why spend ten hours in the air flying to Europe when two will bring you to the Carib, or the Rockies, or another vacation hot spot without wasting a whole day in the air?
Much of the world has become a uniform melting pot, and we can find that in our own cities without all the travel. Much of the world has become less exotic. Fifty years ago, you couldn't find US fast food chains in London or Paris. Today? They infest the world and "local" norms are far more uniform than they used to be.
How many States are there in the EU? We've got 50 plus here, so one could easily say that "EU" residents are the ones who aren't getting "out of town" they're just visiting the next state in their own Union these days.

"Americans think that so many other countries hate Americans. I think you would find that you will be welcome in most places with open arms."
In many places, yes. In many places, we're greeted with open hostility and we're the target of kidnappings and other violence. That's not a problem in France or Germany perhaps, but you can visit our State Department's travel advisory site to see where kidnappings and ransoms have been a bigger problem. And not just for Americans.
I'm sure a number of folks say "Why worry? We can just go to Disneyworld!" and they've got a vacation without any of those concerns. And they'll still enjoy it.

"put some beers in the fridge for us."
Oh, hadn't you heard? We're like our British cousins, we always like our beer at room temperature, we stopped chilling it ages ago. (VBG)
Old 03-04-2014

Summmitfun is on a distinguished road

Nostrodamus,
Happy Birthday!
I had someone in New Zealand ask me almost the same question back in 1985. I love to travel, experience other cultures, visit historical sights.
I can't speak for most of America, but for many, the Schengen limits are a limiting factor on cruising Europe. 90 days is simply not long enough to see even a small part of Europe. As you said, there is SO much history to see and culinary delights to experience. A trip across the Atlantic for a hurried 90 day stay is not very attractive, when a season could be spent in the Bahamas, then heading up to Canada in hurricane season.
Best wishes,
Mike
Old 03-04-2014
MikeGuyver

MikeGuyver is on a distinguished road

some simple math
U.S = 3,794,100 sq. miles ( 9,826,719 sq. km. )
Europe = 3,930,520 sq. miles (10,180,047 sq. km. )

U.S. = 95% same area as Europe

Pt. Barrow Ak 71.2 deg. n. to KaLae KaLae Hawaii 18.54 deg. n. = 3700 miles

Northern most tip of Norway to somewhere in northwest Sudan = 3700 miles

Quite a bit of area to see in one lifetime either way.