Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road
Re: What stops Americans cruising the world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I'm not a big fan of the ICW. For me an offshore passage is much more fun. I truly love being offshore. Janet thinks I'm nuts. She's quite a good passage-maker but doesn't find it fun. I do everything I can think of to support her offshore.

Janet likes the ICW. She likes the sights and sounds and smells, stopping each night to make dinner and talk about the day, new experiences even on stretches we've been on before. She likes the ground fog in the morning and the birds waking with the sun. She likes the stops in Coinjock, Beaufort NC, Charleston, St Augustine and little places in between. On the ICW she stands her share of watches and more while I cook, play with the radio, write, and nap. I do the arithmetic for setting boat speed to make the next bridge.

Different horses for different courses.
I like doing both. In fact, I enjoy being on any body of water, whether it be sailing on the ocean, or kayaking up a mangrove creek. That's why I'm so boat poor. I'm equipped to do it all.
Faster likes this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2014

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
.................. Janet likes the ICW. She likes the sights and sounds and smells, stopping each night to make dinner and talk about the day, new experiences even on stretches we've been on before. She likes the ground fog in the morning and the birds waking with the sun. She likes the stops in Coinjock, Beaufort NC, Charleston, St Augustine and little places in between. On the ICW she stands her share of watches and more while I cook, play with the radio, write, and nap. I do the arithmetic for setting boat speed to make the next bridge.

Different horses for different courses.

edited addition: Janet also likes the part of our days on the ICW where I bring her coffee in bed, get the anchor up, and have us back on(ish) the magenta line before she wanders up to drive the boat most of the rest of the day.
Wow! That's a wierd description,- strange in the way it exactly describes Nancie. Was Janet born in Portsmouth, VA and maybe separated from a twin?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Old 03-09-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
Wow! That's a wierd description,- strange in the way it exactly describes Nancie. Was Janet born in Portsmouth, VA and maybe separated from a twin?
*grin* Nope - Avenel NJ.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-10-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Read the posts on the thread Minnie was kind enough to start and read Jimmy's book. It's very different sailing the trades to BVI then fighting and planning around mother nature doing the NA gyre from N.E.. Both east to west and west to east are much easier for Europeans. Going up the eastern seaboard with option of using the ICW in places or just jumping the gulfstream is much less frightening then the coasts of France + Portugal. in either direction. Going down the US coast is relatively easy requiring just a few 2-3d overnight jumps. Americans going to Europe get to choose between multi year cruises or likelihood of exposure to some really tough sailing. Still, on the bucket list more I understand about it need more experience and have other things I want to do first.
Old 03-10-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough

I don't understand that one, I mean to be easier for the Europeans than to the Americans to cross the Atlantic. When Europeans go to the Caribbean they don't go to stay there but to make what is called "a volta do mar".

The way is the same on one sense or another, nobody goes against the winds and everybody turns around. There is a timing for doing the "volta".

The only problematic timing in Europe is to sail in November to the Canary Islands. In November or even in late October there are years, like this one, were the storms keep coming on the North Atlantic one after another, but that is not a problem since the sensible thing would be to sail to the Canary Islands in late September, or if it is a good year in October and cruise there waiting the right time to cross, in November. So no problem at all.

For coming to Europe, you sail to Bermuda first and then to Azores. The right time to leave Bermuda is middle of May, or even beginning of June.

Nothing difficult about that and remember that most Europeans that cross the Atlantic, except the few that go for a circumnavigation are just doing the "Volta", the same thing you would be doing, except you start there while the Europeans start in Europe.

If you do that you should arrive to Galicia or Portugal in middle of June and will have 3 or 4 months to cruise. That will be enough for cruising Galicia, Portugal, and the Ballearic Islands, maybe even Corsica or Sardinia. You will not have time for more because Mediterranean cruising destinations are more and more spaced then the ones on the Caraibbean, but you can always do it several times. Many that do the the ARC are not doing it for the first time.

Regards

Paulo
northoceanbeach likes this.

Old 03-10-2014

outbound is on a distinguished road

Thanks Paulo- understand the concept. However, it remains easier to see much of the eastern seaboard on "our" side than cruise comparable latitudes on "your" side. The diagrams you referenced in Wiki show a vessel leaving and returning to Portugal. I've sailed to Bermuda multiple times. Only once was it a rough sail. Other times put them up and take them down when you get there". No tacking or even sail changes. Generally a reach there and back in early June. Above posters point out getting to northern Europe a horse of a different color. That's all I was trying to point out. From your side would go to BVIs. then bop across Caribbean. Then up our coast. Even from R.I./Mass go to Bermuda then down near you on the westerlies. not the easterlies.
Old 03-10-2014

capt vimes is on a distinguished road

The one thing we europeans are often doing, is leaving US an canada aside and return from the caribbean...
On the other hand do a lot of us have to go some way down to the canaries, or the full length through the med before we do the jump ...
Nobody is crossing the north atlantic from east to newfoundland, at least nobody with his mindset in place...
Old 03-11-2014

Coquina is on a distinguished road

You must first assume that someone WANTS to be in Europe on a boat. Sailing = tropical island paradise is very firmly in the minds of many USA sailors.
You then need to think the logistics through. We can get from Maine through much of the Caribbean without any open ocean passages longer than 2-3 days if we want to. Getting across the Atlantic Ocean TWICE is a very big deal compared to that. If I leave my slip in May I can be in the EU for summer and leave there in the fall for the Islands and back up the east coast to slide right back into my slip 12 months later. That is 2 months out of 12 in open ocean and NO time for the Med unless I pushed very hard. Or I can leave my slip in May and head north, be in Maine in the hottest part of summer, back south to the Islands in the fall, and back up the coast the next year. The second trip is much less daunting, less demanding of vessel and crew, cheaper, can be done much easier by a retired couple, and affords everything from a rocky New England coast to the low country of the Carolinas to tropical islands. For the adventerous they can do the Caribbean 1500 rally as part of this trip or do Norfolk-Bermuda-Carribean to get some offshore sailing in. I am totally not surprised the two-way commute across the Atlantic is the less chosen path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I don't understand that one, I mean to be easier for the Europeans than to the Americans to cross the Atlantic. When Europeans go to the Caribbean they don't go to stay there but to make what is called "a volta do mar".

Volta do mar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The way is the same on one sense or another, nobody goes against the winds and everybody turns around. There is a timing for doing the "volta".

The only problematic timing in Europe is to sail in November to the Canary Islands. In November or even in late October there are years, like this one, were the storms keep coming on the North Atlantic one after another, but that is not a problem since the sensible thing would be to sail to the Canary Islands in late September, or if it is a good year in October and cruise there waiting the right time to cross, in November. So no problem at all.

For coming to Europe, you sail to Bermuda first and then to Azores. The right time to leave Bermuda is middle of May, or even beginning of June.

Nothing difficult about that and remember that most Europeans that cross the Atlantic, except the few that go for a circumnavigation are just doing the "Volta", the same thing you would be doing, except you start there while the Europeans start in Europe.

If you do that you should arrive to Galicia or Portugal in middle of June and will have 3 or 4 months to cruise. That will be enough for cruising Galicia, Portugal, and the Ballearic Islands, maybe even Corsica or Sardinia. You will not have time for more because Mediterranean cruising destinations are more and more spaced then the ones on the Caraibbean, but you can always do it several times. Many that do the the ARC are not doing it for the first time.

Regards

Paulo

Old 03-11-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

I've been to Europe three times. By the third time, I was bored and wanted to come home.

I've been to the Caribbean over two dozen times. I've never been bored and I never wanted to come home.

Easy decision for me.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 03-11-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

"para gustos colores" is a saying down here

losely translated to for likes there are many colors

whatever floats your boat

I would lovefor example to go canal motoring through europe or down the danube or even england up the thames or whatever but that doesnt mean I think the tropics suck

thats what Im more used to

I would also and have always dreamed of going in and out of the tip of south america...in and out of chile and ushuaia and tierra del fuego but I know its hard, spectacular and full of currents and bead weather

but that doesnt mean I hate the cold...

I have also learned to love the desert and coral reef near desolate wind barren islands like in the red sea...

or rocky galapagos like mountanious islands....or white sand beaches...or or or or or or or

whatever floats yor boat is what counts...
Group9 likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.