Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: What stops Americans cruising the world?

Because America is nice enough to stay and cruise and Europe is screwed up enough to want to escape.
jameswilson29 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

I was wondering how long it would take before anyone mentioned SCHENGEN.

SCHENGEN, weather, prices...Really, who wants to screw around with a 90-day limit and trying to dodge and plan around that? When they've got to spend two to four weeks each way just to get there? That starts to become way too much transit time for way too little destination time, when the Carib is so much closer to the US, with so much clear water.

Someone must have been terrified at the thought of Hawaiian shirts, Brownie cameras, Coca-Cola and fast food when they thought that one up. And look what happened, their own native people set up the fast-food franchises anyway. Quelle dommage!

Makes almost as much economic sense as the US "war on drugs".
Old 03-01-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Yes, I think the Europeans underestimate the difficulties of Shengen, both real and perceived.

Me, for instance, have sailed in turkey a number of times since 1993 and have little or no interest in going back there as I wish to explore the western med. But doing the western med means difficulties and enforced moves to turkey, or to other north african countries that have all have difficulties, revolutions etc in the last few years. Even Morocco.
Plus theres a simple fact that many Americans just do not want to visit countries where they are hated. Go find a country that loves burning American flags and stay there for 3 months? Not on your nellie!

So folks have to get full visas so they dont rely on the shengen visa... Thats much more paperwork and planning.

You must remember that the caribbean is a blow in, blow out place where every country gives visa on arrival for US citizens, and the next island country is only 20 to 80 miles away. From the BVIs to Trinidad is 450 nms where Nice in the South of France to Marmaris in Turkey is 1,200 miles through some pretty tough waters.

Remember Turkey boarders Syria. OK its a long way away from the cruising areas, but it puts some people off.

Croatia isnt a viable alternative either, especially for wintering, and its joing Shengen next year anyway.

Finally, the Med for a retired couple sailing from the USA is a multiple year cruise so if Europe wants the tourism benefit it needs to change the law for cruisers to become as attractive as the Caribbean.

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 03-01-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-02-2014

Osprey 26 is on a distinguished road

Ha,ha kind of dumb answer, but have to give it try.
Europeans did discover America not the other way around.
Now that I am here do I really want to go back such a long distance.
Tired overworked?
Old 03-02-2014

Nostrodamus is on a distinguished road

I don't think the Europeans do underestimate the difficulties of Shengen.
We know it is difficult but in Europe there are places you can go.
When we Europeans want to sail in the states and our visas are due to expire where can we go?
We have been living aboard and cruising for the last three years so we meet all other nationalities and there are plenty of others to which Shengen applies, not just Americans.
There are two types of border. One created by politicians so they have there own little bit of power and the border in the mind. As cruisers we wish there were no borders at all.
This post is not a dig at Americans. It is just there are a lot of sailors in America but we have seen very few.
Of the ones we have met everyone of them represents your country well and fly's the flag proudly. We sailed for a month this year with an American family (they had their three young girls with them). We are proud to call them friends.
I just thought we would see more Americans.
I do think the biggest problem is not Shengen but the barriers in the mind.

Old 03-02-2014

Osprey 26 is on a distinguished road

Good thread, and good questions,answers. Looks like people from warm climate want to explore cold, and from cold want to see hot. Some of us also wan't to see places we learned about from books, movies, friends. Time, and money is a limit how much we can see from wonderfull World.
Charter, and such can help if good friends share it. More we learn about them more friends we have.
Old 03-02-2014

TomMaine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
I don't think the Europeans do underestimate the difficulties of Shengen.

When we Europeans want to sail in the states and our visas are due to expire where can we go?

We sailed for a month this year with an American family (they had their three young girls with them). We are proud to call them friends.
I just thought we would see more Americans.
I do think the biggest problem is not Shengen but the barriers in the mind.
We have friends sailing out of the UK now in the Caribbean. They came up the east coast and spent time in Maine(it was their favorite, not bragging,...).

They enjoyed it so much, they plan to return to Maine this summer. And they will cruise into Canada to renew their visas. That's just a few days coastal sailing or an overnight from our harbor.

Iain and Fiona are now 2 years into a cruise which will last at least 3 if they end it this coming fall and return to the UK. That's a good amount of time to see the rim of the Atlantic and explore the Caribbean and include the East Coast of the US to Canada. But even 3 years doesn't allow you to linger often and you can only scratch the surface. In fact, they had to skip huge portions of Europe(ones we would have prioritized if doing the reverse cruise)just to tackle this itinerary.

Most US cruisers are on a year-winter cruise which doesn't allow time for crossing the Atlantic-twice, exploring many countries, and then returning to the US.

I know several US families that have cruised the EU. But it often entailed multi year itinerary that meant leaving the boat there as they returned to the US for spells of time.

Truth is, we see very few long distance cruisers in Maine. Even EU boats in the caribbean rarely get up this far. In fact, few US cruisers even make it up this far.

You need time, lots of time to cruise far in a sailboat.
JimMcGee and MarkofSeaLife like this.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Old 03-02-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

I've been to Europe several times, and I just don't think it would be that fun of a place to cruise for me (mainly weather wise) compared to the Caribbean.

When I have such a nice place that I can get to so easily, why would I sail across the Atlantic?

I'm not trying to rack up sailing miles for bragging rights, I'm just trying to have a good time.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 03-02-2014

Nostrodamus is on a distinguished road

We do want to go to the Caribbean at some point. From the people we have spoken to some really enjoyed it but they say after a while every island is the same.
We like finding out history, culture and out of the way places and sailing is a way to do that.
It is good to sail but the actual sailing isn't our actual priority. Seeing something different is.
Argyle38 likes this.

Old 03-02-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Cracks me up, when Americans answer why they choose the Caribbean over Europe, to which Europeans respond, no that's not it.
Group9, Argyle38 and MarkofSeaLife like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.