SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   What stops Americans cruising the world? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/125434-what-stops-americans-cruising-world.html)

Nostrodamus 03-01-2014 07:25 AM

What stops Americans cruising the world?

Each year a huge number of Europeans cross to the dark side by sailing the Atlantic to the Caribbean.
We left our home country (UK) three years ago and have been cruising Europe spending our time in new countries and destinations all the time.
We see plenty of nationalities doing the same but very few Americans.
What stops them from coming to Europe?

Yorksailor 03-01-2014 07:49 AM

Re: What stops Americans cruising the world?

For us it is the cost, the bureaucracy and the weather which the Europeans are escaping by sailing to the Caribbean off the wind in warm weather.

We are sailing the South Pacific rather than the North Sea... again off the wind in warm weather.

Nostrodamus 03-01-2014 07:52 AM

The good thing about the med is the history, the friendly people and everything is only a short sail (or motor away). I understand that you have problems with the time you can actually stay in one place but the Americans (and Canadians which there seem to be more of) we have met absolutely love it here.

sailordave 03-01-2014 07:58 AM

Well, how long can I stay in the EU? How long can my boat stay in the EU before I have to pay import tax? How long is the sailing season?

Hmmmm. I think the Caribbean sounds good.

paulk 03-01-2014 08:30 AM

Sailordave sums it up pretty well. If the Europeans are leaving Europe in droves and going to the Caribbean, why shouldn't we?

goboatingnow 03-01-2014 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulk (Post 1472634)
Sailordave sums it up pretty well. If the Europeans are leaving Europe in droves and going to the Caribbean, why shouldn't we?

Are we , well the 15 million sailors left have hardly noticed ;)

goboatingnow 03-01-2014 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostrodamus (Post 1472418)
Each year a huge number of Europeans cross to the dark side by sailing the Atlantic to the Caribbean.

We left our home country (UK) three years ago and have been cruising Europe spending our time in new countries and destinations all the time.

We see plenty of nationalities doing the same but very few Americans.

What stops them from coming to Europe?

For huge read less then several hundred

Dave

billyruffn 03-01-2014 08:47 AM

My personal experience is so far limited to the UK and Ireland but is consistent with what I've heard from others who have cruised more widely in Europe....the answers are: high fuel costs, variable weather, winds or lack thereof, VAT on everything (increases the cost of living), and VAT regulations as they apply to boats.

One other thing may be that it's much easier coming west in the trades than it is going east at 45-50N. When US cruisers head east we pay the price before the fun begins. When Europeans come this was this "cost" is deferred and the fun begins almost immediately (once they're a few hundred miles south of the Canaries).

Minnewaska 03-01-2014 08:57 AM

There is also a huge difference in hopping down the coast, even through the thorny patch, as opposed to 30 days offshore to cross the atlantic. For that matter, New England direct to the Caribbean is 10ish days and one could layover in Bermuda to split the trip in half.

If one's plan is to bareboat, it's much less expensive to fly to the Caribbean and being in a closer time zone, it's much easier too.

Nostrodamus 03-01-2014 10:34 AM

I understand a lot of what you say but I also think that a great deal is also in the mind as well. About 230 boats cross on the arc each year, about 200 hundred on the non arc and a few on their own.
Our best friends out here ar Canadians and they love it and have always found a way around the problems.
I think it is far worse and more difficult for us europeans to get the documentation to cruise in the states and in the time we are allowed we cannot get anywhere.
The authorities (of which there are too many departments) all believe we are up to no good.
It is even rare in the summer to see any Americans chartering out here.