Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2014
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
What's a cutter rigged ketch? And a slutter?

I love learning about sailboat design, seeing how it gets implemented, and ultimately put to use by sailors through blog stories and posts on forums like SailNet.

Recently I asked Bob Perry to share his unique design perspective on sailboat rigs and what each variation means for putting pen to paper. Here's what came of it: Sailboat Rigs According to Perry

Hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did!
Group9, jimgo, Markwesti and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2014

mattt is on a distinguished road
Re: What's a cutter rigged ketch? And a slutter?

I don't suppose Wild Horses is the same yacht that appears frequently tied up at the "guest" dock in Eagle Harbor now is it?
Old 03-05-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I thought the term "Slutter" was kind of appropriate for such a half-assed combo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-05-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Hey, we have a Slutter!

I've not heard the term before and find it hilarious. I think I will find a few other reasons for it over time. Anyway, true to Bob's point, we have a removable inner forestay, intended solely for a storm or heavy weather sail. The tack is approx 4 feet behind the forestay and the hounds are pretty close to the top of the mast. It would never be used along with the genny. In fact, I've never used it at all.

If Bob is around, I would find it interesting to hear more about how you technically differentiate a cutter from a sloop with an added staysail. Is there a mast placement range? Does the foot of the main playa role? It would seem that the cut of the sails alone wouldn't be sufficient, but that may be it.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-05-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Not to intrude into Bob's area of expertise, but it is my understanding that in a boat designed as a cutter the mast will be set further aft so the proportions of the sails are different.
Old 03-05-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Killarney, I think that's basically what Bob said in the post/article.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 03-05-2014

capt vimes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
Not to intrude into Bob's area of expertise, but it is my understanding that in a boat designed as a cutter the mast will be set further aft so the proportions of the sails are different.
this is also my knowledge...
but if i look at the images to that article, i doubt it - those masts seem to be set like on any other sloop...
it is different with these type of boats, i guess...
Old 03-05-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

It's a grey area. Not sure there is any need to get technical with it. But if pressed I use station 4 as the mast location for a cutter. If the mast is forward of Sta 4 I call the boat a sloop. Interestingly almost all the early IOR boats with their big fore triangles had the mast at Sta 4. I called these boats sloops.

I think the terms are malleable and in most cases they work and we know what we mean.

In the example Vimes posted I'd call that a cutter. But, I am pretty certain that anybody connected with that project doesn't give a rat's patootey what I choose to call it.

" Bob who?"
capt vimes likes this.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 03-05-2014

christyleigh is on a distinguished road

"or the worst one, “cutter rigged ketch”. We already have all the terms we need to describe rigs that have been around for 200 years."

Gee Bob, what have you got against Nauticat 33's and most of the other Nauticats They have only been around for 40 years but that's what many of them are. Steve with "True Blue" who used to post here a lot before his wife drove him off to the 'Dark Side' had a good picture of his 33 as his avitar with all 4 sails flying. I have never rigged the inner forestay on mine but the deck and mast (as with most Nauticats) is ready for it.

Now I'm certainly not going to argue what is 'really' a cutter or not but I just couldn't resist a comment - that's all it is
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 03-05-2014
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Stan:
I don't think it's important what you call your boat. Call it "Fred" if you like.
Why would you ever think I have anything against Nauticats? They are not my kind of boat but they have great appeal to many and they are very well done. I like them just fine.

Bob's Blog ....