Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2006

MHRitter is on a distinguished road
I am working on a GPS Seminar using Power Point. I am adapting what I got from the Miles River Squadron. It is great fun, with lots of animation and over 200 slides. We are focusing on the Garim GPSMAP 76, hand held chart plotter. We will have it in Green Bay, WI on May 13th, 2006. If you want more details see our Sampler Power Point Presentation with links at end to registration form. It is great fun. Judy and I used Chart View and two GPS-12's along with Raster charts from Digital Ocean and Maptech on our Great River Loop in 1999-2000. Now we teach the free version of the Chart Navigator from Maptech. The idea is that the GPS's better be loaded before you leave the doc. I find the raster chart much more interesting than the vector charts.

http://www.markusritter.users.greenb...oc/Sampler.pps
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2006

Traveller.ny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyss
My only problem right now is how to get the depth to show in feet instead on meters and the wind speed to show in knots.
The problem with Raster charts is that they are nothing more than a scan of a paper chart ... whatever was on the paper is all you get on the Raster. Depth measurements will be only what they were, with no way to change it. Of course, I'm pretty sure the ENC charts can't change their measurements either.
As for wind speed ... have I missed something? Winds don't show on my charts ...
Old 04-29-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One thing I would highly recommend... if you're going to depend on the electronic charts... MAKE PRINTOUTS of the most important ones for your cruising area... that way if you should get hit with a virus, or drop you computer... you'll still have some way of navigating... Caveman techniques are generally the best backups, as they are the simplest and often the most reliable.
Old 05-02-2006

salty_dog_68 is on a distinguished road
you have never heard of rasta charts. they are charts of jamaica and the caymans that are printed on the back of a huge "bamboo" rolling paper. and you call yourself a sailor...
Old 05-02-2006

The Judy Ann is on a distinguished road
Fugawi No GPS fix

I just bought the Fugawi Marine version navigation software on CD with ENC electronic charts. I can't get my Garmin 12 handheld or Garmin 165 handheld to input their GPS fix information to my HP laptop USB Com port. I get a "GPS No fix' indicator. I contacted their tech service and got some email instructions; basically the same instructions I followed for GPS menu NMEA settings from their manual. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 05-02-2006

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
Is the GPS a serial port type?
Old 05-03-2006

dannyss is on a distinguished road
Traveller.ny
I'm talking about the data (picked-up through the NMEA messages sent by my Signet Smartpak system) shown by Seaclear on the display panel, not the water depth numbers shown on the raster chart.
Background info: my electronics are Signet Smartpak. It has an rs-232 output port that I connected to the laptop. The GPS NMEA data is first sent to the Smartpak system and thus becomes part of the NMEA data running through the system. Seaclear picks up both GPS data and the Smartpak data, from which it gets depth, wind speed, wind direction, bearing, etc.
Thus Seaclear shows depth info from my depth sounder, thats the one thta Seaclear shows in meters instead of feet.

Danny
Old 05-03-2006

gc1111 is on a distinguished road
RE Fugawi and Garmin

Since the Garmin specs call for a NMEA 0183 output, I am assuming it has a 9-pin serial port output. How is it connected to your PC? Are you using a USB-Serial converter?
Look at the Device manager (MyComputer->(Rt. Click)Properties->Hardware->Device manager) and make sure the serial port you think you are using is actually there and functioning. Then try using Hyperterminal (Start->Programs->Accessories->Communicator->HyperTerminal) to monitor what is coming in over the Com Port. It will be some lines of text, usually starting with some alphabetic letters specifying what kind of data, followed by numbers and letters giving the data. The data depends on what sentence it is but is not important for this. If you see bursts of data coming in the com port, you have that much correct. Then it is a Fugawi problem. If you see nothing, there is a problem connecting the GPS to the PC.
Old 05-03-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, I believe that NMEA 0183 is actually a RS-422 data feed, rather than RS-232.
Old 05-04-2006

gc is on a distinguished road
Right, but fortunately they are compatible at this level. RS-422 enhances the noise immunity and distance limitations of RS-232, but the basic signaling specs are pretty much unchanged.

But I really miss serial ports on modern laptops. Most of my laptop use is for controlling equipment, namely navigation and ham radios. For that you need serial interfaces, which now seems to mean extra equipment (USB->Serial converters). And you really have to look hard to find reasonably priced converters - which are really simple pieces of equipment.