SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Looking for a used set of sails for 18' catamaran

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  krisscross 
#1 ·
Not sure where to post this. Mods, please move as you see fit.

I'm buying a used Sol Cat 18 that comes without sails. I'm looking for a cheap main and a jib to get me started - anything from a 15 foot boat up to 18 footer. They do not need to be pretty but at least repairable with sail tape.

Mast height 28'00". Sail Area: Main 175 sq. ft. Jib 45 sq.ft. Total 220 sq. ft
It is a fractional rig so the jib has to be smaller.

Sorry, but I do not have exact sail measurements. I'm picking it up this weekend. I would actually prefer to initially use smaller sails (like from a 16 footer) as it is going to be my first catamaran and I'm going to sail it solo.

I could also use a harness for the trapeze wire.

#3 ·
Thanks for the offer, Ulladh. I think that jib might be a tad too long in the luff (it is a deeply fractional rig). What a pity... I will measure the fore-stay this weekend to make sure.

#5 ·
Thanks for the tip. I know that good sails translate into good performance. I have used plenty of tired/low fit sails over the years, as well as good ones. Big difference in performance but I think I can get by with some old sails to start with - I also have some extra battens from my windsurfing sails. Eventually I will buy a good main for that boat. A lot of people seem to sail these small cats with just a good main. I just can't spend $800 for it right now.

#7 ·
Awesome! They would fit perfectly as they have a similar rig. I'm not sure if there is G-cat 5.5. I have heard of 5.0 and 5.7. Either way I'm pretty sure they would fit my cat. I will send you a p.m. :)

#10 ·
I finally picked up that catamaran today. It was an adventure, for sure, as the trailer was really marginal. Anyway, I have the proper sail dimensions, listed here as the maximum length.
Main: Luff - 25.5' ; Foot - 8.5'
Jib: Luff - 18'
Mast height: 28'

This boat has a rotating mast. It can rotate about 45 degrees either way. Anybody has an idea what is is good for? Mast has 3 stays, all hooked up to the mast at the same spot, about 2/3 way up.
Another question about daggerboards. Their depth can be adjusted, but if not careful, they can fall through. Looks like they were tied down to the side stays.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.