Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Another good choice is a Citizen EcoDrive SailHawk. The stainless steel version is in your price range, with the titanium version just a bit more ($240 or so). It's a very nice watch and was the team watch for the America's Cup team in 2002. It has an excellent race timer that counts down with audible cues for various points in the countdown, can reset to the set time and continue counting, and counts up once it reaches zero.

One nice thing about the Sailhawk, is that it is solar powered, and water resistant... so you never have to change the batteries or break the seal on the watch.

The rotating bezel on the watch is designed to help you with course calculations, and shows you the course to steer for starboard and port tacks on both the windward and leeward legs based on the compass course you wish to make good.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2006

sailandoar is on a distinguished road
A watch with all the bells and whistles

Try:
www.ambientweather.com/baaltewa.html
www.suunto.com
www.casiosalesandservice.com

My commentary:

I am with with you, thinking that a watch that does the barometer, compass thing would be helpful. To those who might say it would not be accurate enough to be useful I say "pish posh". Let's assume that the watch has a LARGE/HUGE (+ or - , 7%) error in both pressure and magnetic compass.

You are in your dingy poking around some little islands near your anchorage in coastal maine when a fog bank rolls in and your ALL TURNED AROUND and the current is carrying you in who knows what direction? Which way do you row ?

You are sailing coastal and are passing the last good inlet/harbor for ..."a while/ a good ways" when you glance at the barometric pressure and see that it has been dropping steadily and fast for several hours. ?? What to do ??

Even if it were true that the actual reading of the pressure and direction was off a bit, it would not make it less useful in these two cases. I believe that most wrist units today are more likley in the WILD GUESS=> (+ or - , 1 or 2%) range.

Now I am being sarcastic when I say that (a) most folks probably keep a survival kit including compass in thier dingy when cruising and always review a chart and tide/current tables before poking around in the dink, and (b) those same folks religiously note barometric pressure and trend in the logbook every hour. Ha! Having said all that I don't have such a gizmo.

However, every time I go to Walmart I make it a point to pass by the watch display in the jewelry case to see if the compass watches have gotten any smaller and if they have barometer/tide. Casio and Sunnto are the main players doing wrist watch fancy computer gizmos but their are a few others. It is the fact that they have been SO DARN BIG, almost like wearing an alarm clock on your wrist that has kept me from joining the club, but I keep looking and I know that in the next 12-36 months the market place will provide what you asked for and more in a both a small form factor and at a price point that will bring them into Walmart.
As for computer interfacing the ones available ??tomorrow?? will be wireless capable and will likely serve as interface/display into your boats data system (e.g. TackTick) and will talk to OsX, Linux, Windows Vista and your kids $100 laptop.

Best Wishes....

Last edited by sailandoar; 03-20-2006 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-01-2006

sailnaway is on a distinguished road
Ahhhhh the post is still alive I hope the person who started this bought a nice watch ,water proof one and it tells time. All the gizmo stuff is BS. TSD is all you need a watch for, OH! and bottom time.