SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Sailing watch (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/12689-sailing-watch.html)

Filmsomething 03-14-2006 11:15 PM

Sailing watch

ok I am looking for a decent sailing watch. It doesn't need to have all kinds of fancy bells and whistles but if it has them they need to be compatible with a mac. I am looking to stay under $200. I do mostly daysails on a nearby lake with the occasional race just for fun. Just looking for some ideas

thanks,
Jon

Filmsomething 03-15-2006 12:01 PM

No one can recomend something with a compass, barometer, good quality?

Sailormon6 03-15-2006 01:31 PM

We all have different uses for and expectations from a watch. Personally, I usually use a Casio G Shock-type digital watch with a stopwatch function, and I've occasionally used other brands of cheap, water resistant digital sports watches. I only use them for racing my boat, so I don't care how they look. They have big, easy-to-read numbers and a light for night use. Any kind of digital watch is accurate enough for racing. Most cheap watches can time a racing start a whole lot more accurately than most racing skippers. :rolleyes:

Some watches are called "yacht" watches or "sailing" watches, but they might not be at all suited for sailboat racing. Often they have sweep second hands and minute hands, and are much too hard to read. Be sure you get a digital watch that displays the minutes and seconds in big, easily readable numbers. Get a watch that has the features you'll need, and not one that the manufacturer calls a "sailing" watch.

I wouldn't think a barometer or compass in a watch would be accurate enough for any useful purpose, and don't think computer compatibility would be important for casual racing.

I've lost a couple watches over the side through the years, and have found that, when the batteries need to be replaced, the watches are often no longer water resistant and won't last much longer, so I don't mind replacing them when necessary.

TrueBlue 03-15-2006 02:04 PM

Each person's idea of a specialized "sailing" watch will vary widely, since we all have different requirements. Aside from the expected attributes of being waterproof (depth-rated) and maintaining absolutely accurate time, other variables such as taste, fashion and status have an effect on wristwatch choices.

Personally, I like simplicity, but demand the best quality and proven performance in my watches. Since I engage in many types of water sports, including wreck diving, sailing and kayaking, the watch needs to be very durable as well. My favorite watch is a Tag Heuer Aquaracer Automatic, with blue dial, saphire crystal and stainless bracelet. It's a basic watch with only a calendar, following the "less is more" philosophy.

While diving, I rely on separate console computers for life support monitoring. When sailing, the helm-mounted instruments provide all the info I need. My needs are specific and will vary with others - just as yours should. The Tag, even discounted, cost me well over $1,000.00, so it is a bit over your budget of $200.00. Remember, if you're just a daysailor, leave the complex chronographs to the professional air pilots and Americas' Cup skippers. It is my opinion, within your price range, you will just substitute quality for quantity. I would suggest you start by going to your local jeweler and checking out whatever appeals to you and your budget.

Filmsomething 03-15-2006 02:39 PM

Ok, that sounds like a plan.

hamiam 03-15-2006 03:38 PM

Watches

Casio makes Sea Pathfinder watches and Suunto makes a whole line of watches one of which may suit your purpose. I would suggest doing a google search or looking on ebay. Good luck.

SailorMitch 03-15-2006 05:01 PM

Here's another vote for the Casio Sea Pathfinder line. They have a bunch of models, and they don't cost an arm and a leg. The one I have is solar powered, so no need to change batteries.

wickstick 03-15-2006 08:27 PM

If I were you I'd go with the Douglas Gill watch.
It's there newest one out that you can get either
with the stainless steel band or a rubber band.
It's got the big floating digital dislay you can turn
on and off. Great for racing and it's a nice look
when out on the town. It's right around $94 to 120
depending which band you go with.

You can find one here at Mauri pro sailing shop

http://mauriprosailing.com/Merchant2...y_Code=GILLWAT

sailnaway 03-16-2006 06:51 PM

A SEIKO diver is on of the best buys you can make I have had mine for 15 years and it still keeps perfect time. I have beat it dove with it knocked it spilled everything you can think of on it had it close to magnets. Seiko makes good watches.

capttb 03-16-2006 11:14 PM

Casio G-Shock

I also have a Casio G-Shock that is a surfers model, gives you the tides, moon phase, moon rise & set, Sun rise & set, stopwatch, countdown & alarms for less than $100. You can set it for various surfspots around the world that are preprogramed or set it to your local Long/Lat. Got my on the web from www.watchesplanet.com appeared to have come straight from the factory in Malaysia.
3/17 0700 hrs. I've edited the website above as I had erred and left out the E.