SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Vibram "FiveFingers" shoes (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/127298-vibram-fivefingers-shoes.html)

dixiedawg 03-11-2014 11:25 PM

Vibram "FiveFingers" shoes

Anyone use these for sailing??

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/pro...sport_mens.htm

pdqaltair 03-12-2014 01:26 AM

Re: Vibram "FiveFingers" shoes

My daughter swears by them. I prefer deck shoes.

I do like them very much for warm weather kayaking.

BentSailor 03-12-2014 01:42 AM

Don't have that brand, but got a similar pair for dinghy racing... that said I prefer going barefoot if I need the toe grip. The things are bloody uncomfortable and slicing my foot on the venturi's has been a rare enough occurrence that I still don't find them worth it.

Stumble 03-12-2014 01:47 AM

I love mine. The wetter the boat the better they are.

ianroberts 03-12-2014 01:55 AM

Didn't used them. But while buying a sailor shoes I always want to get these clear
  • No water
  • Grip
  • Comfortable
  • No or Least Plastic Used

Minnewaska 03-12-2014 06:43 AM

For some reason, I think they are pretty cool. My kids are aghast that I might get a pair and refuse to be in my presence or some such objection. (I don't really care, but find it interesting) Would old dudes look silly in these?

If warm enough, I do prefer to be barefoot, but wondered if these would be a reasonable compromise. They're not as protected, but better than barefoot. Any issue with the black bottoms?

When I do wear deckshoes aboard, it's sometimes for grip, but mostly for comfort. If I've been standing on watch for hours, my feat get sore. I always leave my boat shoes under the cockpit table for this reason. It's even on my castoff checklist!! I'm not sure the finger shoes are going to provide the same relief, as much as grip.

Finally, the great advantage I see to these, is landing a dinghy on a rocky beach. It may be what puts me over the edge to get them. Being able to step out into the water, without fear of cutting the bottom of my feet is important. I can't step in the water with my deckshoes.

Lastly, the only objection I really get is there are so many models, I have no idea which to choose.

ambianceack 03-12-2014 07:49 AM

I have a pair and found them great for climbing the mast. The shoes offer some toe protection. My wife runs in them wears them all the time on the boat.

titustiger27 03-12-2014 08:12 AM

could only think of one thing with the OP (opening post)

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...g?t=1394622654

dixiedawg 03-12-2014 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 1618418)
For some reason, I think they are pretty cool. My kids are aghast that I might get a pair and refuse to be in my presence or some such objection. (I don't really care, but find it interesting) Would old dudes look silly in these?

If warm enough, I do prefer to be barefoot, but wondered if these would be a reasonable compromise. They're not as protected, but better than barefoot. Any issue with the black bottoms?

When I do wear deckshoes aboard, it's sometimes for grip, but mostly for comfort. If I've been standing on watch for hours, my feat get sore. I always leave my boat shoes under the cockpit table for this reason. It's even on my castoff checklist!! I'm not sure the finger shoes are going to provide the same relief, as much as grip.

Finally, the great advantage I see to these, is landing a dinghy on a rocky beach. It may be what puts me over the edge to get them. Being able to step out into the water, without fear of cutting the bottom of my feet is important. I can't step in the water with my deckshoes.

Lastly, the only objection I really get is there are so many models, I have no idea which to choose.

Bingo. This is a big attraction for me as well, jumping out at the boat ramp or wherever, onto sharp or slippery things.

For those of you who have them (glad to hear some of you do!) do you know which model you have?

smurphny 03-12-2014 09:08 AM

Have looked at those and would like to give them a try. I often go barefoot on the boat but know it's a bit risky for stubbing toes and getting cut. My go-to sailing shoes are a pair of good quality leather Sperry Topsiders. They are just comfortable, easy on/off and have good cushioning. They work on and off the boat and are even good for longer flat hikes up to a local watering hole or supermarket. They also aren't a flashy fashion statement, having no overt advertising logos.