Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2014

dixiedawg is on a distinguished road
Vibram "FiveFingers" shoes

Anyone use these for sailing??

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/pro...sport_mens.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2014

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Re: Vibram "FiveFingers" shoes

My daughter swears by them. I prefer deck shoes.

I do like them very much for warm weather kayaking.
Mike2204 likes this.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-12-2014

BentSailor will become famous soon enough

Don't have that brand, but got a similar pair for dinghy racing... that said I prefer going barefoot if I need the toe grip. The things are bloody uncomfortable and slicing my foot on the venturi's has been a rare enough occurrence that I still don't find them worth it.
Old 03-12-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road

I love mine. The wetter the boat the better they are.
Old 03-12-2014

ianroberts is on a distinguished road

Didn't used them. But while buying a sailor shoes I always want to get these clear
  • No water
  • Grip
  • Comfortable
  • No or Least Plastic Used
Old 03-12-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

For some reason, I think they are pretty cool. My kids are aghast that I might get a pair and refuse to be in my presence or some such objection. (I don't really care, but find it interesting) Would old dudes look silly in these?

If warm enough, I do prefer to be barefoot, but wondered if these would be a reasonable compromise. They're not as protected, but better than barefoot. Any issue with the black bottoms?

When I do wear deckshoes aboard, it's sometimes for grip, but mostly for comfort. If I've been standing on watch for hours, my feat get sore. I always leave my boat shoes under the cockpit table for this reason. It's even on my castoff checklist!! I'm not sure the finger shoes are going to provide the same relief, as much as grip.

Finally, the great advantage I see to these, is landing a dinghy on a rocky beach. It may be what puts me over the edge to get them. Being able to step out into the water, without fear of cutting the bottom of my feet is important. I can't step in the water with my deckshoes.

Lastly, the only objection I really get is there are so many models, I have no idea which to choose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 03-12-2014 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-12-2014

ambianceack is on a distinguished road

I have a pair and found them great for climbing the mast. The shoes offer some toe protection. My wife runs in them wears them all the time on the boat.
Old 03-12-2014
arrgh!

titustiger27 is on a distinguished road

could only think of one thing with the OP (opening post)

jimgo and Minnesail like this.

Vector X + Y
Old 03-12-2014

dixiedawg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
For some reason, I think they are pretty cool. My kids are aghast that I might get a pair and refuse to be in my presence or some such objection. (I don't really care, but find it interesting) Would old dudes look silly in these?

If warm enough, I do prefer to be barefoot, but wondered if these would be a reasonable compromise. They're not as protected, but better than barefoot. Any issue with the black bottoms?

When I do wear deckshoes aboard, it's sometimes for grip, but mostly for comfort. If I've been standing on watch for hours, my feat get sore. I always leave my boat shoes under the cockpit table for this reason. It's even on my castoff checklist!! I'm not sure the finger shoes are going to provide the same relief, as much as grip.

Finally, the great advantage I see to these, is landing a dinghy on a rocky beach. It may be what puts me over the edge to get them. Being able to step out into the water, without fear of cutting the bottom of my feet is important. I can't step in the water with my deckshoes.

Lastly, the only objection I really get is there are so many models, I have no idea which to choose.

Bingo. This is a big attraction for me as well, jumping out at the boat ramp or wherever, onto sharp or slippery things.

For those of you who have them (glad to hear some of you do!) do you know which model you have?
Old 03-12-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Have looked at those and would like to give them a try. I often go barefoot on the boat but know it's a bit risky for stubbing toes and getting cut. My go-to sailing shoes are a pair of good quality leather Sperry Topsiders. They are just comfortable, easy on/off and have good cushioning. They work on and off the boat and are even good for longer flat hikes up to a local watering hole or supermarket. They also aren't a flashy fashion statement, having no overt advertising logos.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.