Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2014

bionicman is on a distinguished road
Need suggestions - 20' competitive lake boat

Hello all, hopefully I'm posting in the correct place. (mods please relocate if I'm mistaken)

I’m looking for some suggestions for a boat that I can keep down at my local lake and take out on weekends with the wife or with friends, but that will also be competitive. I’ve been sailing on and off since I was a young child, so I’m not a novice sailor. What I’m looking for is:
- length 18-20’
- monohull with small cuddy (added)
- total trailered weight preferably under 2,000 lbs
- handles well in 5-15 knot winds (the ability to plane in heavier wind would be a huge plus)
- PHRF rating as low as possible (under 190 would be optimal)
- a stabler boat would be better, as I’ll frequently have inexperienced crew
- cost preferably under 10k

Ultimately a U20 would be perfect (pun intended), but spending 20k+ on a boat would be frowned upon by the wife. About 6 months ago I let a cherry Holder 20 slip through my fingers because I had done very little research at the time, but from what I’ve read that boat may not be stable enough for my needs. Does anyone have thoughts on the Holder 20 or other similar boats that I should be considering? Thanks!

Last edited by bionicman; 03-13-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2014

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: Need suggestions - 20' competitive lake boat

How about a Nacra 18? That is a fast and fun cat.

If you prefer monos, a J22 or an SJ21. I little bit bigger than you asked but still good candidates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tim R.; 03-13-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-13-2014

RichH will become famous soon enough

I'd recommend to seek a used but 'decent' U-20 as they do meet all your qualifications.
Another suggestion would be a decent used Holder-20, a fairly simplified planing hull boat.

If youre not looking for a cuddy cabin boat also consider an M20 Scow (Melges or Johnson) ... but a bit 'complicated' with nearly 35 'control lines'. A more modernized version of the M20 but with lightweight carbon spars, retractable bowsprit for an asymmetric spinn etc, would be the Inland-20 (Windward Boat Works). The venerable M20 is well known as the 'submarine scow' for good reason; and that reason is instability. The I20 due to lighter spars etc. lessens that instability. The I-20 has been around for ~12 years so you may find a used one.
I-20: Windward Boatworks: I20 Scow
M-20: http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=5726 or http://www.m20-scow.com

Another impressive open cockpit type 19-20 ft. would be the Volant

All these mentioned boats can easily plane to windward.

:-)

Last edited by RichH; 03-13-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-13-2014

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Santana 20. Fast, simple, well balanced. The only minus is trailering - not an easy boat to launch from a ramp - more like a lift launch boat. Flying Scot for easy trailering but that is a very tender boat in heavier winds.
Old 03-13-2014

Thanks for the suggestions, fellas. I would prefer a monohull with a small cuddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Santana 20. Fast, simple, well balanced. The only minus is trailering - not an easy boat to launch from a ramp - more like a lift launch boat. Flying Scot for easy trailering but that is a very tender boat in heavier winds.
I've taken a hard look at the Santana 20, but the trailering issue I'd really prefer to avoid. (which is why I'm still stuck on the convenience of the Holder) It seems that the boats I'm most interested in (the Holder and the Ultimate) are quite difficult to locate, particularly on the east coast. (PA specifically)

What are the best boat trading websites to stalk for this type of boat?
Old 03-13-2014

There used to be a dealer for Holder-20s in the Allentown (Foglesville) Pa area.
There are several Holder 20s on Lake Nockamixon and I know there was one for sale as of last summer; so, try the local papers and other for sale sources for Quakertown, Bethlehem/Easton, etc.
You may also try a websearch for such boats for sale near Lake Wallenpaupack in the Poconos; ditto for Round Valley Reservoir in (Clinton ?) NJ

"Soundings" used to be a good source to locate such boats in the Penna./NJ area.
www.soundingsonline.com/
;-)

Last edited by RichH; 03-13-2014 at 02:36 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichH For This Useful Post:
bionicman (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
There used to be a dealer for Holder-20s in the Allentown (Foglesville) Pa area.
There are several Holder 20s on Lake Nockamixon and I know there was one for sale as of last summer; so, try the local papers and other for sale sources for Quakertown, Bethlehem/Easton, etc.
You may also try a websearch for such boats for sale near Lake Wallenpaupack in the Poconos; ditto for Round Valley Reservoir in (Clinton ?) NJ

"Soundings" used to be a good source to locate such boats in the Penna./NJ area.
Way to rub salt in the wound, that's the one I missed out on, lol. I'll have to keep my ear to the ground here. (Nockamixon is where I'd plan on keeping it) Do you by chance remember who the dealer is / used to be in this area?
Old 03-13-2014
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road

Wow, never heard of the Holder 20 but it looks like a really fun boat and is way on the light end of the spectrum which is a big plus for trailering -for comparison, a Mariner 19 will weight in at more like 1500 lbs.

I had a Siren 17 this past summer and loved it, not designed as a performance boat in terms of sail controls but light (750 lbs) and reasonably modern shape, and it was fast off the wind in a breeze (but lousy to weather). Not even close to your desired rating, like 270. I guess the 24-27' keelboats would've eaten me windward but I didn't get enough time around them to tell for sure.

But I sailed with novice crew, or with my three kids (4, 6, and 8 at the time) and had no problems. The Siren is very tender with the board up, somewhat less so board down, but nothing compared to my 25' woodie of previous years (3000+ lbs?). We didn't exactly go out if it was blowing 25+ but it was really not an issue. If anything it was a little easier to keep the light boat flat with the meat ballast.
Old 03-13-2014

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicman View Post
What are the best boat trading websites to stalk for this type of boat?
Boats for Sale - New and Used Boats and Yachts - YachtWorld.com
Sailboat Listings sailboats for sale by owner.
Page 1 of 133 - New and Used Sailboats for sale on BoatTrader.com - BoatTrader.com

and if you are patient: craigslist
The Following User Says Thank You to krisscross For This Useful Post:
bionicman (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicman View Post
Way to rub salt in the wound, that's the one I missed out on, lol. I'll have to keep my ear to the ground here. (Nockamixon is where I'd plan on keeping it) Do you by chance remember who the dealer is / used to be in this area?
His name was Joe Dolgasch (sp. ?), had an outdoor sports shop (hiking, kayaking, boating, climbing gear, etc.) near the intersection of US22 and PA309 ... right close to the Allentown Exit of the PaTpke NE extension. He used to race his H-20 at Nockamixon .... but that was 15-20 years ago.

That H-20 you were on at Nockamixon probably was the one owned by a Chinese-American 'gentleman', and he did quite well with racing it ... parked right next to my current M20 Scow on "N" dock at the far north eastern section of the marina !!!!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.