SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

1977 Columbia 23 gudgeon replacement

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  sailandoar 
#1 ·
I'm trying find out where I might find a replacement gudgeon (I may have the wrong term - the eye hardware into which the bottom pin of the rudder attaches to the stern at just above the waterline). I have a Columbia 23. I'm new to this or any forum, so I'm not sure how to proceed. Any help on where to get replacement hardware for such a sailboat would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
stclair@auglink.com said:
I'm trying find out where I might find a replacement gudgeon (I may have the wrong term - the eye hardware into which the bottom pin of the rudder attaches to the stern at just above the waterline). I have a Columbia 23. I'm new to this or any forum, so I'm not sure how to proceed. Any help on where to get replacement hardware for such a sailboat would be greatly appreciated.
I think finding an original replacement for that gudgeon (you were correct about the term, BTW) might be tough to do. There are many used marine gear sellers around, you could try looking there. One of the biggest is Minney's in Newport Beach, CA. Their web site doesn't have a lot of info, I suggest you e-mail them- sales@minneysyachtsurplus.com

Another route would be to have the old gudgeon duplicated in stainless by a machine shop. A small item like that would be easy to do and wouldn't cost an arm and a leg, I bet. Good luck.

#3 ·
List of possible supliers

Suppliers of classic/traditional metal sailboat items

Compiled: George Ray (March_2006)
Version: 1.0

Lunenburg Foundry & Engineering
PO Box 1240
Lunenburg NS B0J 2C0
tel: 902-634-8827
fax: 902-634-8886
WEB: www.lunenburgfoundry.com
Info: mail@lunenburgfoundry.com

Port Townsend Foundry
11 Crutcher Road.
Port Townsend WA. 98368
tel: (360) 385-6425
Fax: (360) 385-1947
WEB: www.porttownsendfoundry.com
Info: ptf@olypen.com

Bristol Bronze:
Postal address:
PO Box 101
Tiverton, RI 02878 USA
tel: 401-625-5224
fax: 401-624-3991
WEB: www.bristolbronze.com
Info: Info@BristolBronze.com
Sales: Sales@bristolBronze.com

New Found Metals
240 Airport Road
Port Townsend, WA 98368
tel: (360) 385-3315
tel: (888) 437-5512
fax: (360) 385-6097
WEB: www.newfoundmetals.com
Info: nfm@newfoundmetals.com

Spartan Marine Hardware
340 Robinhood Road
Georgetown, Maine, 04548
Tel: 800-325-3287
Tel: 207-371-2024
WEB: www.spartanmarine.com
Info: info@spartanmarine.com
*** end of list ***

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.