SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   need to engrave hull ID number on older boat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/127714-need-engrave-hull-id-number-older-boat.html)

Shamwari2 03-13-2014 10:11 PM

need to engrave hull ID number on older boat

Mexico has stated that they need to see a factory hull number on the starboard stern of all sailboats to make them legal there. My Corbin never came with one and I'm sure there are a lot of others facing the same problem. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get one on the boat so that it looks like it was put there by the factory.

billyruffn 03-13-2014 10:31 PM

Re: need to engrave hull ID number on older boat

Is the boat documented? If so, it's required to have the document number permanently affixed to a structural part of the boat. That should do.

Before you get out the engraving tool you might ask the Mex. authorities what they would do about a wooden boat or a metal boat or a custom, one-off boat that doesn't have "factory hull number" molded into the stbd quarter?

Shamwari2 03-14-2014 12:39 AM

The boat is registered in Canada and has the numbers but some of the boats that got in trouble this year didn't have someone on board when the inspectors arrived and they wanted to see the hull numbers on the starboard stern.
The trouble with asking someone in Mexico about the rules is that you need to ask the people that are inspecting your boat - there are too many interpretations of the rules. It's hard enough getting a consensus here on a cruising permit.

Fstbttms 03-14-2014 02:40 AM

I once a engraved a small rectangular piece of sheet aluminum with the hull number for a Boston Whaler and simply screwed it onto the transom.

mad_machine 03-14-2014 08:16 AM

a lot of older 'glass boats do not have a HIN. My 1963 Sea Sprite does not. It's going to be interesting when I go to title and register her in NJ this year. I do not have a title, only a notorized bill of sale as NY does not issue titles on older baots

chucklesR 03-14-2014 09:46 AM

I would simply not do it - there is no way to do so and make it appear original.

It is more likely you will get hit with attempted fraud.

Document the fact that none was engraved by the builder, then add a plate that says something like "for identification purposes this boats hull number is xxxxx" see owner for full documention". The first time you dock in Mexico take that to them and get them to sign off on it.

zeehag 03-14-2014 11:44 AM

charles...doesnt your boat have that number on port side just below the pretty teak trim??? i thought i saw it there...or maybe that was tumbleweeds..i looked at both yours and tumbleweeds in work dock, so i dont remember which had it, but i thought both did....

ABH3 Boyer 03-14-2014 03:53 PM

my boat had no hull number when I acquired it here in NY. The boat was last registered in Canada and had been for all of its life except for the 1st year or 2. When I went to get it registered They had me set up an appointment with the Erie county Sheriff. They came to my home and inspected the boat to make sure that it wasn't stolen. Once that was confirmed they issued me a new hull identification number. Then they proceeded to use an engraver to put it on the starboard stern and somewhere inside that was hidden from view. The sheriff told me that I was welcome to stamp the number onto a piece of metal and attach it over top of where they did the engraving.

Faster 03-14-2014 07:21 PM

I think that's the ticket.. if there's truly no HIN markings I believe you can apply for a personal one.. The Corbin code may still be available. If the boat's newer than late 60s, though, it really ought to already have an HIN somewhere.

Not sure if this site is still active, but have you asked here?

http://corbin39.com/questionsandanswers.html

capttb 03-14-2014 07:30 PM

I was gonna suggest a P-touch label maker if they just want to SEE it when no one's there, Quien Sabes ?:rolleyes: