Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Active Captain question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
Smack, it's a little unfair to expect anyone else to steer clear of Active Captain because of the vague charge he is "bad news". Many people find the information on Active Captain extremely informative and very useful and as a cruising guide it's free.

Jeff Siegel is his name and I can find nothing in Google to indicate he is a bad dude. Is this just a personal matter between the two of you?
I gave my opinion based on my own experience with the guy. It's nothing more than that. Read my post carefully. DR got it right.

As for there being no reason for my post - it's my opinion (not "advice" not a "recommendation" etc.). That's what a forum is all about. Take it or leave it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 03-16-2014 at 12:11 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

My using Active Captain is about the info in it and not about the owner.
SVAuspicious likes this.
Old 03-16-2014

JoeLena is on a distinguished road

On the topic of not being clear: like previously posted, the tiles are not meant for navigation. The images they use are not high resolution so when you zoom in it's not clear, like low resolution images on the web. Vector based nav charts will not have this issue.
'72 Catalina 27 Tall Rig #519
Old 03-16-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Steve Jobs, by many accounts, could be a real jerk, particularly if you criticized his technology.

There are some that even say Thomas Edison was very vindictive in his competition with Tesla. Edison even publicly electrocuted several animals to try to prove that alternating current was dangerous.

Does anybody even know the Beneteau family?

I still support each consumer's right to do as they please. However, its usually without complete information.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-16-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

I don't give a rats bum who invented the electric light. I use it and love it. Same with penicillin, electronics, the bloke who invented computers and pulled pizza outta the oven, the steam engine must have been invented by a drongo because I dont need one, but the printing thingy to make paper readable, but I do know John Crapper and his marvellous invention.

Active Captain is an excellent resource. Really, really excellent and I use it no matter who made it.

To not use something because we despise the inventor is to proverbially cut off our noses to spite our faces.

Quote:
"Cutting off the nose to spite the face" is an expression used to describe a needlessly self-destructive over-reaction to a problem: "Don't cut off your nose to spite your face" is a warning against acting out of pique, or against pursuing revenge in a way that would damage oneself more than the object of one's anger.
So though I always appreciate Smacks contributions they are irrelevant to the thread and should be pulled, and his ear twisted and his bottom smacked...

Old 03-16-2014

Shortnsalty is on a distinguished road

Ok so on the same topic what would be a good software program for android tablet or phone to show nuti charts like Garmin. I see there is a lot of software programs that cost as much as a small boat. Is there a cheaper alt? Keep in mind were new to sailing and really will be staying in the ICW/Indian river for a good while so local info is all we need. Or would it just be better to keep the one or two charts for our area. I do like electronics for the fact GPS would show us exactly what were on top of in real time.
Old 03-16-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Navionics for the Android phones is only around $15.... Navionics HD for iPad is $50.. they work well for decent money.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-16-2014
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

I have MX Mariner on an Android tablet. Charts by region can be downloaded for offline use.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 03-16-2014

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Yet, deleting smack's comment would be censorship that you would likely be unhappy about if it happened to you.
In an interesting turn of events, THIS innocuous tangential post, my only post in this thread, prompted AC's owner/creator/administrator to find my facebook account and send me a message:

He wrote, "People are going to perceive me based on my beliefs and opinions. I can't stop that. I really don't care. The truth is, none of you at SN know who I am at all. You like making your little quips and think you're all so clever. The real problem is that most of you with thousands of postings sit behind your keyboards instead of helms. You're not AC's user because you just don't really go anywhere. You're all offended because you don't like my opinion about forums. But you prove my points about them by your actions.
If you ever get off your dock Brian, you'll see how incredible our brand is and what the perception of me really is. Forums like SailNet just don't matter in the real world. don't you see that every time you make a posting, you get a message from me? "

Ironically, a post defending freedom of speech prompted the owner of the site- in- question to exercise his freedom to insult a potential customer, or at least convert a potential critic.

The post wasn't about he-who-shall-not-be-named, didn't mention him, didn't mention his site,...and yet he thought it was worthy of a tirade.... and a warning that he will continue to harass me, if this individual thinks any of my posts have anything even remotely to do with him.

The rest of the conversation on facebook is unprintable. For the first time ever, i have blocked a facebook user- and it wasn't a teenaged troll, or a spammer, it was a grown man, a professional.

That's the face of AC. And that is what he thinks of those who post here.

Where the lofty comparisons to Edison, Jobs and inventors of other really important world-changing stuff falls apart, is that all of those innovators at least PRETENDED to care about their customers and potential customer base.

Last edited by bljones; 03-16-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-16-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
.......Where the lofty comparisons to Edison, Jobs and inventors of other really important world-changing stuff falls apart, is that all of those innovators at least PRETENDED to care about their customers and potential customer base.
JS can be his own worst enemy. Seems like a very bright guy that needs to outsource public relations.

Nevertheless, I think just because you owned or might become an owner of an iPad, Steve Jobs would have been happy to rip you a new one, if you suggested the iPad should have a delete key and not just backspace or arrow keys.
bljones likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.