Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2014

manatee is on a distinguished road
Re: Active Captain question

Isn't there a logical contradiction here? If, as he says, "Forums like SailNet just don't matter in the real world.", why does he read it, and why is he so incensed, and compelled to respond to a post that by his own words, *doesn't* "matter in the real world"?

Maybe he should have said, "Forums like SailNet just don't matter in my view of the real world".

I for one find SailNet to be an interesting, entertaining and educational playground, and am grateful to the sponsors and participants.
smackdaddy and Runshari like this.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to manatee For This Useful Post:
eherlihy (03-17-2014)
Old 03-16-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

I like it when people start complaining about people complaining!
Old 03-16-2014

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

...aaand, since I have blocked him on facebook, he has decided to post in the clear on my blog:
http://docksixchronicles.blogspot.ca...iting-for.html

" Brian - there's a great satellite image of the ice on the Great Lakes - it's quite a picture showing the intense winter that's been going on there.

Hey - be careful posting private messages and emails. There's a presumption that those things are private. Lawsuit awards have been made based on doing exactly what you did. Don't worry though - I'm not going to take any action on your behavior here. I sort of thought you might do that giving me a way to post without having an account. But seriously, it's bad form to make public communications intended to be private like that. Search on it a little and you'll find that what I'm saying it true.

Spring is coming! I think we both know that your bad behavior will probably be fixed once you're able to actually get out in your boat!! Seriously, step away from that keyboard!!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bljones; 03-16-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-16-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
....Seriously, step away from that keyboard!!"
How is he sending the messages? Dictation to a carrier pigeon?

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 03-16-2014

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
...aaand, since I have blocked him on facebook, he has decided to post in the clear on my blog:
Dock Six Chronicles: A Great Way to Kill Time Waiting for Spring to Come

" Brian - there's a great satellite image of the ice on the Great Lakes - it's quite a picture showing the intense winter that's been going on there.

Hey - be careful posting private messages and emails. There's a presumption that those things are private. Lawsuit awards have been made based on doing exactly what you did. Don't worry though - I'm not going to take any action on your behavior here. I sort of thought you might do that giving me a way to post without having an account. But seriously, it's bad form to make public communications intended to be private like that. Search on it a little and you'll find that what I'm saying it true.

Spring is coming! I think we both know that your bad behavior will probably be fixed once you're able to actually get out in your boat!! Seriously, step away from that keyboard!!"
Whack Job ! .. ignore him.
Old 03-16-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I don't give a rats bum who invented the electric light. I use it and love it. Same with penicillin, electronics, the bloke who invented computers and pulled pizza outta the oven, the steam engine must have been invented by a drongo because I dont need one, but the printing thingy to make paper readable, but I do know John Crapper and his marvellous invention.

Active Captain is an excellent resource. Really, really excellent and I use it no matter who made it.

To not use something because we despise the inventor is to proverbially cut off our noses to spite our faces.

So though I always appreciate Smacks contributions they are irrelevant to the thread and should be pulled, and his ear twisted and his bottom smacked...
I've not told anyone not to use AC. I just said I wouldn't use it - and the reason I gave has yet again been made abundantly clear in bl's posts above. Just as I said - the dude is bad news. And I think my comments herein have again been proven perfectly relevant by the man himself.

Now, I fully understand that you and many others can overlook this guy and just use his product. Okay. But when the owner of a company is this obsessively tender and continually belittles an entire forum everywhere he goes - a forum full of his own customers - well, you must really need his product to put up with his view of you.

I don't need his product. And my nose and face are just fine.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/search...archid=2316817
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 03-16-2014
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough

1 - We personally find Active Captain very useful
2 - We have met and spent time with both Jeff and Karen and have found them very personable and very friendly
3 - I have two apps on both my iPhone and iPad that support Active Captain and am pleased that they do. The last app was purchased mainly because they do support Active Captain.

What you do is your choice, if asked if I recommend Active Captain, my answer would be yes.

If asked if we personally thought Jeff and Karen were good people, again, for us, the answer would be yes.

Rik & Linda
The Following User Says Thank You to rikhall For This Useful Post:
eherlihy (03-17-2014)
Old 03-16-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhall View Post
2 - We have met and spent time with both Jeff and Karen and have found them very personable and very friendly
3 - I have two apps on both my iPhone and iPad that support Active Captain and am pleased that they do. The last app was purchased mainly because they do support Active Captain.

What you do is your choice, if asked if I recommend Active Captain, my answer would be yes.

If asked if we personally thought Jeff and Karen were good people, again, for us, the answer would be yes.

Rik & Linda
That's the beauty of the free market and "aggressive entrepreneurship" (his term). I'm sure the dude's perfectly friendly in person.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 03-16-2014
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Everyone of course is free to have their own opinion. I can think of popular figures that I cannot stand so its all just opinion but my opinion of Seigel after my dealings with him here is that I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire. That is purely my personal opinion and I'm sure will not lose him any sleep.

While AC is pretty much irrelevent for us down here it did come with Jepperson Plan2Nav. Good program but I canned it after I realised I couldn't scrub AC from it.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 03-17-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhall View Post

Rik & Linda
I agree. Jeff is certainly a character. In my interactions by phone, e-mail, aboard A Capella, and at gatherings elsewhere afloat and ashore I have never seen the sort of behavior attributed to Jeff. Based on sheer volume I accept that there must be something there but it is outside of my experience. He can certainly be sensitive and get defensive. He feels strongly about what he does. He has built a good business where the customers he is passionate about (cruisers and other boaters) get a service paid for by someone else (marinas and other businesses).

There are businesses I won't use because of ownership. I can understand that some might feel that way about ActiveCaptain. There are lots of alternatives to Dominos for pizza (for example) but no one else provides the service--for free--that ActiveCaptain does.

I think Jeff and Karen are great people. People I think highly of don't agree.
rikhall likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

The Following User Says Thank You to SVAuspicious For This Useful Post:
eherlihy (03-17-2014)