SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Active Captain question (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/127841-active-captain-question.html)

Shortnsalty 03-14-2014 11:12 PM

Active Captain question
 
I have active captain on my android phone (note 3), i have downloaded the tile i wish to use and updated. When i zoom in it is not clear. Anyone know if this can be resolved so i can use it for more than just info bubbles for the area and use it as a map also and nauti chart as well?

smackdaddy 03-14-2014 11:23 PM

Re: Active Captain question
 
I don't know about your zooming issue. But as for Active Captain - I will always steer clear. I have zero respect for that organization and its leadership.

RainDog 03-15-2014 12:58 AM

Re: Active Captain question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by smackdaddy (Post 1628177)
I don't know about your zooming issue. But as for Active Captain - I will always steer clear. I have zero respect for that organization and its leadership.

Why?

smackdaddy 03-15-2014 01:18 AM

Re: Active Captain question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RainDog (Post 1628321)
Why?

Search SN for the owner of that peckerwoodery. It's Jeff_Something. The dude is bad news. I think he's been banned here. I wouldn't support that dude as far as I could throw him (I told him to revoke my membership in AC).

Of course, if he's been banned, I won't say anymore since he can't defend himself. I'm just saying I'll steer WAY clear of AC precisely because of him.

DRFerron 03-15-2014 07:12 AM

Re: Active Captain question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shortnsalty (Post 1628137)
I have active captain on my android phone (note 3), i have downloaded the tile i wish to use and updated. When i zoom in it is not clear. Anyone know if this can be resolved so i can use it for more than just info bubbles for the area and use it as a map also and nauti chart as well?

Shortnsalty,

You probably should contact Active Captain directly if you're having problems with the product. The website has contact information.

Smack,

Yes. Mr. Seigel has been banned from SailNet. More than once since he simply re-registers under a new user name.

ebs001 03-15-2014 07:21 AM

Re: Active Captain question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by smackdaddy (Post 1628369)
Search SN for the owner of that peckerwoodery. It's Jeff_Something. The dude is bad news. I think he's been banned here. I wouldn't support that dude as far as I could throw him (I told him to revoke my membership in AC).

Of course, if he's been banned, I won't say anymore since he can't defend himself. I'm just saying I'll steer WAY clear of AC precisely because of him.

Smack, it's a little unfair to expect anyone else to steer clear of Active Captain because of the vague charge he is "bad news". Many people find the information on Active Captain extremely informative and very useful and as a cruising guide it's free.

Jeff Siegel is his name and I can find nothing in Google to indicate he is a bad dude. Is this just a personal matter between the two of you?

DRFerron 03-15-2014 07:31 AM

Re: Active Captain question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ebs001 (Post 1628818)
Smack, it's a little unfair to expect anyone else to steer clear of Active Captain because of the vague charge he is "bad news". Many people find the information on Active Captain extremely informative and very useful and as a cruising guide it's free.

Jeff Siegel is his name and I can find nothing in Google to indicate he is a bad dude. Is this just a personal matter between the two of you?

Active Captain is a very useful product. I like it.

Smack said that *he* will not support it. He did not tell the OP not to use it.

As for the owner, that issue has been discussed in other threads and I'd appreciate it if it isn't rehashed.

Minnewaska 03-15-2014 08:13 AM

Re: Active Captain question
 
I agree that we shouldn't rehash. Let's just say that JS has a very sensitive short fuse. If he never posted a thing, ever, I think everyone would love the product. It's an incredible resource. Crowd sourced info on everything from hazards, to marinas to anchorages to local restaurants. I'm amazed and I do contribute.

The truth is we all use products, technology and take medicines that were invented by people you don't know and, in some cases, wouldn't like. You just don't know you wouldn't like them. It's hard for me to make that a filter. However it is capitalism and each consumer gets to make their own call. That's how it works and JS should keep it in mind.

Tim R. 03-15-2014 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shortnsalty (Post 1628137)
I have active captain on my android phone (note 3), i have downloaded the tile i wish to use and updated. When i zoom in it is not clear. Anyone know if this can be resolved so i can use it for more than just info bubbles for the area and use it as a map also and nauti chart as well?

Back on topic. The AC App is not meant to show chart details. They may not be able to considering their ties with Garmin's mobile charting app and other paid for apps. BTW, i like AC and use it often. The reviews for anchorages are very useful. Crowdsourcing can be very powerful if kept current. Tim R.

smurphny 03-15-2014 09:05 AM

Re: Active Captain question
 
I have not followed and am not aware of the apparent personal issues with the folks running Active Captain but I have used their website in researching recent information in my route planning. I had a problem linking to their site and they responded quickly and politely to resolve the issue. The crowd sourcing nature of this effort is effective and, combined with other planning tools, just adds to the safety of any trip. I want to know about the tree trunk sticking up somewhere yesterday and don't really care where the info. comes from.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012