Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2014

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Interesting anchor concept

I was at the Maine Boatbuilders show this weekend and there was a company(Quickline) with a new anchor design that was pretty interesting. It looks very similar to all the new generation type anchors like the Mantus, Manson and Rocna. What makes their anchor different is that they load the fluke with lead and the shank is hollow. This gives the shank positive buoyancy and eliminates the need for a roll-bar. The shank also has a fairly high rise to assist in rolling the anchor over to its proper orientation.

Not endorsing them in any way as I have no direct experience. Just wanted to present the info for discussion.

Ultra Anchors | Stainless Steel Anchors | Quickline USA

Let's try to stay away from the fact that they are SS and very expensive and focus on the design concept.

Apologize for claiming they are new. I should have said new to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tim R.; 03-17-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting anchor concept

Well, they're hardly new, the Ultras have been around for quite some time, now... Personally, I see very little difference between them, and the aluminum Spade, in their essential design...

"Buoyancy of the shank" ??? Hmmm, not so sure about that one... :-)

Last one to try adding 'floatation' to an anchor was Hydro Bubble, that didn't work out so well... :-)

kentobin likes this.

Last edited by JonEisberg; 03-17-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-17-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Interesting idea. I wonder if the shaft will be strong enough.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-17-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I've seen them before. I wonder about the strength of the shank. I will only mention that SS as a further strength limiter, as opposed to the bling. Not sure why they chose it.

Also, sea beds are not always flat, so being able to flip over by weight won't always work. The roll bar would prevent the anchor from entering upside down between narrow rocks (sort of). No perfect anchor.

I think these are targeted to the weekend relatively fair weather boat, rather than the cruiser. JMO.
kentobin likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-17-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

>$3000 for my boat, OUCH!. I can see the value of the weighted part, the hollow shank does not make much sense to me though. It still needs to be strong enough to work so a substantial amount of steel there with a limited flotation amount. It is pretty though.

You can get a version of a Manson Supreme without a roll bar and Rocna have a new anchor at West Marine without the roll bar.
Heading back to Lake Ontario for this summer. Relatively few stops along the way from Grenada. Martinique, Guadeloupe, St. Martin (must have something to do with the French food), then Bermuda, New England and up the Hudson/Erie Canal. We were going to go via Newfoundland and Labrador but June remembered that one of the kids is getting married this summer - details, details!
Old 03-17-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I also worry about the lack of a roll bar and too much effort expended on polishing the s.s. For those wanting something really shiny to hang on the bow to impress people, this looks like a perfect anchor.
kentobin likes this.
Old 03-17-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
I was at the Maine Boatbuilders show this weekend and there was a company(Quickline) with a new anchor design that was pretty interesting. It looks very similar to all the new generation type anchors like the Mantus, Manson and Rocna. What makes their anchor different is that they load the fluke with lead and the shank is hollow. This gives the shank positive buoyancy and eliminates the need for a roll-bar. The shank also has a fairly high rise to assist in rolling the anchor over to its proper orientation.

Not endorsing them in any way as I have no direct experience. Just wanted to present the info for discussion.

Ultra Anchors | Stainless Steel Anchors | Quickline USA

Let's try to stay away from the fact that they are SS and very expensive and focus on the design concept.

Apologize for claiming they are new. I should have said new to me.
IMHO it is probably one of the better performing of the new gen anchors. Do be aware that their "mini-anchors" that you drag through sand at the shows are not all correctly made to scale, angles geometry etc. thus can give a false impression of another brands performance. For instance where the fluke meets the shank on the Rocna copy is incorrect etc. etc..

Still an excellent anchor I just can't justify the price vs. performance differences between it and other new gens. I was told about three years ago that it will only ever be in SS because of the hollow shank blowing up during galvanizing.

It should be noted that they have made two or three changes to the shanks since its inception and it does offer a lifetime warranty.. They are not the first anchor with a weighted tip. The Delta, CQR, Spade all have lead in the three dimensional tips. The Manson Supreme and Rocna all have added weight in the tips too just more in a one dimensional way......

Personally I would really love to try a Sarca Excel but they are very expensive to get in this country...

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 03-17-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-17-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I've seen them before. I wonder about the strength of the shank. I will only mention that SS as a further strength limiter, as opposed to the bling. Not sure why they chose it.
Because their primary market is powerboats, perhaps?

Their photo gallery shows 54 examples of installations on stinkpots, and 16 on sailboats...

Ultra Anchors

And this is the photo that tops their Home Page :-)

Old 03-17-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Because their primary market is powerboats, perhaps?
I was going to say that. Weak moment of forgiveness.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-18-2014

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

I'm having a lot of trouble swallowing the notion that the shank has positive buoyancy. The simple fact that it is hollow doesn't even come close to assuring that.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.