Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4 Weeks Ago

khanns is on a distinguished road
Boom furling

Looking to add boom furling to 39' Beneteau. Any suggestions..........
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 4 Weeks Ago

jimrafford is on a distinguished road
Re: Boom furling

Forespar's leisure furl is a good place to start.I have a sailtainer. Expect to invest around $17k.
Jim
Old 4 Weeks Ago

seapilot is on a distinguished road

You should also consider the Schafer system, doesn't go through the mast, comes with it's own rigid vang, articulated track allows for more forgiving furling when dropping in wind.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Having some curiosity about boom furling systems, I have talked to quite a few crews on the mega sailboats on which they are common. They are not well liked by those I've spoken to, with one of the main complaints being someone must be at the gooseneck to feed the cars up the track (and down) to insure none get hung up. This would pretty much preclude singlehanded operation, if all systems can have this problem.
These are top of the line boats with budgets which allow them to have the very best of everything aboard, and professional crews who one would think could operate the equipment properly, so I'll pretty much given in boom furling a pass, thanks.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

No need to be at the mast w/ mine. Push the button for the halyard winch from the cockpit and up it goes. Getting it down. Put the furling line on the winch. Control the halyard and push the button again. Sail is gone in seconds. Piece of cake. Endless reefing points. Will never go back.
Jim

Last edited by jimrafford; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:27 PM.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

seapilot is on a distinguished road

'have to agree with Jim, since the Schafer (don't know which one he likes) has it's own track with a feathered feed, once you get the leading bracket in place (along with the halyard) it's a done deal, never a kink or hassle..... it's a one person job. I leave my main furled completely when not in use, so only have to feed it when I raise it for the day.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Having some curiosity about boom furling systems, I have talked to quite a few crews on the mega sailboats on which they are common. They are not well liked by those I've spoken to, with one of the main complaints being someone must be at the gooseneck to feed the cars up the track (and down) to insure none get hung up. This would pretty much preclude singlehanded operation, if all systems can have this problem.
These are top of the line boats with budgets which allow them to have the very best of everything aboard, and professional crews who one would think could operate the equipment properly, so I'll pretty much given in boom furling a pass, thanks.
Still, I'm gonna guess most of those crews on 100+ footers prefer some sort of boom furling to hoisting or flaking and covering a conventional main :-) And, the systems I'm familiar with would not be using "cars" on a track for an in-boom system for a 40-footer, just a simple bolt rope going into a pre-feeder...

Leisure-Furl had some teething problems in the beginning, but they've got it sorted out pretty nicely now, it's a pretty slick system once you come to appreciate its subtleties/idiosyncracies.. Whenever I'm running a boat over about 45 feet, I'm always happy if it has a L-F...

I wouldn't go with a motor-driven mandrell, however... I'd suggest the more conventional rope downhaul system, instead...
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

With slab reefing being so simple, and I can reef in under a minute, I don't see the point in boom furling.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Compromis 888 'il Cigno'

ilCigno is on a distinguished road

From a sailing standpoint it's certainly better than in mast furling. You can always reach it when it fails and offers a much lower center of gravity. Besides these, I hear only trouble stories. The boom should be at right angles with the mast, if not the sail jams.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilCigno View Post
From a sailing standpoint it's certainly better than in mast furling. You can always reach it when it fails and offers a much lower center of gravity. Besides these, I hear only trouble stories. The boom should be at right angles with the mast, if not the sail jams.
As we sail between 2 & 3k miles a year with in mast furling, I can only say we love it! Inmast has been an amazing system for us without any of the horrific experiences so many who don't sail with them, are so positive we have. The fact that we do not need to be anywhere near head to wind to reef or dowse sail makes the system a winner in my book.
Of the three systems on the monohulls we see actually cruising, it may be about; 45% inmast, 50% slab, and 5% inboom.