Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2014

jasonr575 is on a distinguished road
help me pick a sailing dinghy

I was looking for help from experienced dinghy sailors/owners with picking a sailing dinghy. i am looking for recommendations on make and model and if you know anyone who is selling one put me in touch with them. I prefer some sort of sailing/rowing dinghy as opposed to a sunfish style.

Here is my wish list
-Less than 150 lbs (i may be taking it out of the water myself)
-Quick and easy to rig
-Mast that breaks down into sections that will fit in my pickup
-will acomodate me somewhat comfortably and on a rare occasion my girlfriend and maybe a little gear (prefer 450 lbs or greater capacity)
-has enough freeboard that i wont get wet from boat wakes
-rows well
-is FAST under sail and a good sailer
-minimal draft (prefer drop down keel)
-prefer a flat bottom for beaching it
-Mast that will fold back while i am under way(I know this is an odd request but this is why. I will be sailing this on the mystic river. lots of low bridges here where i want to be exploring while sailing. Ideal situation i am sailing around and want to go over there but there is a low bridge, i sail close to it, drop the sail, pull a pin and the mast folds back, i row under the bridge, push the mast back up, raise the sail and continue.)
-durable
-tows well behind bigger boat and can be used as a dinghy
- cheap
- 8 ft or bigger (i feel the 7 ft and smaller models will be too cramped or not have weight carrying capacity)

Things i dont need/want
-expensive just because of the name
-good looking (a well built functional boat that looks like crap is preferred to a new looking less quality boat otherwise i will probably be more concerned about scratching it as opposed to having fun with it) (you heard of a rat bike- rusty and old looking but runs perfectly, well a rat dinghy is just fine with me)
-too big to move on my own out of the water
-Mast too tall to transport in my truck

I have done some research and found some that may fit my needs but so far have not found it with all the parts, in my price range, in my location or for some other reason not for me. These are the makes/models i have considered: pilot, dyher 8 ft, skimmar, grumand sailing dinghy (yes rare).

If it were not in perfect shape and needed a little work (cheap parts that are easy to get or some elbow greese, easy fiberglass repair etc) i would be fine with that.
What boats would fit all or most of my needs and any tips where to look. I have already exhausted craigslist.

PS the tip back mast is something i have not seen yet but would be functional for me. anybody know of a boat that does that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Tags
dinghy , frostbite , sailing dinghy

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.