Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2001

aberger is on a distinguished road
Hobie 16 Sailing Question

Hello, I''m the new owner of a Hobie 16. Normally there will be two of us sailing her, but I imagine there will be some nights I want to take her out on my own. Setting the mast seems to be a major ordeal since there are few places to gain leverage from and few sturdy footholds. Any input on rigging a Hobie mast solo would be much appreciated! Today I connected the side stays and used a little contraption to hold the mast in line with its base while it''s lifted. I got about 5 feet from the mast and couldn''t do it alone. Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2001

tiz_1 is on a distinguished road

You definitely need the mast hinge to raise the mast. Be sure to remove the hinge pin before raising the sail or the hinge will bend/break and you won''t be able to lower the mast.

Start with the side stays connected, the mast base hinge connected and the mast laying down. Tie a line around the head stay above the lower terminal (clove hitch), run it over the top of the "bridle" where the headstay terminal will connect to, and then back to the trampoline, passing under the bridle. Tie it to the lacing on the trampoline.

Stand on the rear of the tramp and lift the mast, walking it iup into position like lifting a ladder. Once vertical, lean on the mast with one hand, reach down and pull the line (tied to the tramp lacing at your feet) to the headstay until it is snug - not tight. Tie it securely to the mast. Get down off the tramp and go connect the headstay terminal.

Reverse the process to lower the mast.

Have fun. Hobie 16''s are great boats.

--Kevin

Old 06-07-2001

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road

Ahoy Hobie 16 sailor, I had a similar problem the first time I tryed to raise the mast on my 16'' Glen Marine design cat. My solution was to have the stern beached on the ramp with the mast laid foward at its step,with the stays attatched and slack. I then clipped on the trailor winch to the topping lift or in your case a halyard and cranked it up. Once up, the tension from the fore stay and the trailor held it while I adjusted the rigging to where I wanted it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.