Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By SVTatia

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4 Weeks Ago

tonyhoff is on a distinguished road
Boat Building

I've got the bug to build a boat.

I'm currently a liveaboard so my back yard is out. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a yard in Seattle's Ballard area that would let me rent space for a couple years to build a boat (and maybe live in a trailer in the parking lot during the process or something).

Thanks for any applicable info!
Tony
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 4 Weeks Ago

SVTatia is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat Building

Sorry I don't have an answer to your question but a caveat: be careful with the "couple of years". Why? I did the same, found a place to do it, rented for 2 years but 3 years later I was halfway thru the project - a 30' boat.
Just saying.
Captainmeme and bljones like this.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

There are basically 3 yacht oriented yards in Seattle's Ballard area: CSR, Canal, and Seaview. You can check with all three of them. My guess is that it won't be cheap, and they probably won't want you living there in an RV.

It would probably be cheaper to rent a small house with a large yard in a more industrial part of town and do the work there, then pay for moving it when that time comes.

I occasionally get the boat building urge, but to make a dinghy not a full size boat.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

ianroberts is on a distinguished road

It depends on the cost. If you are looking for a rental place then how much you can afford to pay. And if you get it done from some professional boat builder how much they will charge.

Still I think having a place on rent will be much affordable in Seattle.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Only took my step dad 20 some odd years to finish a Bill Garden designed boat......started in his 60's finished in 80's, almost 90, maybe two season sailing the thing.

Assuming you will do this full time, not work, 1-2 years might be doable for a 30'ish foot boat. A dinghy in a month of weekends..........

Not sure personally it is worth it from building an 8 and 12' boat when younger, stepdad also built a 21' cb trailer sailer, that took about 2-3 yrs.........

Marty
Old 3 Weeks Ago

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Helped my Dad build several boats and houses. I guess if you like building more than sailing, that is an option. I preferred sailing over building, your mileage may vary.

Paul T
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

Building boats can be fun but nobody should expect to save any money doing so. I've built 4 boats, 2 12' MiniCup sailboats, a 9' nesting dinghy and a 20' Tolman Alaskan Skiff. The 20 Tolman took me 1 year start to finish in my spare time. I intentionally threw away all receipts to hide from my wife how much they really cost.
However, if you build it, you can also fix anything that goes wrong and my son and I recently "converted" the Tolman into a tow boat for wake boarding and he gets a lot of use from it.
I really want to build a big sailboat but I know that anything that is not simple will not get finished in a reasonable time. I have specific wants that cannot be fulfilled in any sailboat I can buy. Consequently, I am considering a Simplicity 35 with gaff rig but am sort of balking at how much lead ballast it needs and whether I want to spend time casting it. Of all the options, it does seem to come closest to what I want and I think I can finish it in three years time while still sailing my 28' S2.
Just building is a form of relaxation. I have a friend who spends a lot of time building one boat after another even though he rarely uses any of them. He has a backyard filled with boats he has built.