Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2014
'81 H22 & '86 Legend 37

CruisingCouple is on a distinguished road
Re: Ice on Lake Superior in June

The Soo Locks opened yesterday on schedule and the first freighter locked thru last night. Poe is open but they're still welding on gates on MacArthur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2014
'81 H22 & '86 Legend 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
That has not happened, although the summer of 2012 had record low arctic ice and the summer of 2013 had the sixth lowest. Now in the winter of 2014 we are seeing the record for the lowest winter arctic ice.
Arctic Sea Ice Sits at Record Low for Mid-February
I don't know that that's all that alarming unless you want to be alarmed over it. Being somewhat of a history buff, and especially where my sailing ancestors are concerned, it is unfortunate that the early Norse records that were moved from Trondheim to Copenhagen in 1664 were lost in a fire in 1728.

But records from eastern Asia and Siberia show that early Norse sailors sailed the Northwest Passage around 800-1,000AD. The shores along the Northern Greenland coast show that the Arctic Ocean was ice-free for at least 1,000 years before that time. I'll let you draw your own conclusions.
seafrontiersman likes this.
Old 03-27-2014

hotdogs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingCouple View Post
Well, when ever these bold predictions are made and it never comes to pass I believe the standard response now goes something like, "Oh, it's true. It is really gonna happen. This is just a 'hiatus'. Trust us."

One of the other new common responses that they thought up is trying to make a distinction between "weather" and "climate" now. You see, the weather can't be predicted accurately even one week in advance. But climate can be predicted for the next 200 years. Trust us.
Take it to the appropriate venue. This ain't it.

Earlier in the thread, from the moderator:

Climate Change discussions are for Off Topic. Any further mention of Climate Change will result in this thread being banished to PRWG or posts removed and if necessary holidays will follow.
MikeOReilly likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to hotdogs For This Useful Post:
MikeOReilly (03-27-2014)
Old 03-27-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

I hear the ice breakers are finally going to try and get Thunder Bay open. The Canadian breaker, the CCGS Samuel Risley, usually does the spring breakup for Thunder Bay, but I see it is working lower down on the seaway. I hear the USCGS Aldur is heading up here, and two smaller USCGS vessels, the Morrow Bay and the Kaitmay Bay are already hard at it. Hopefully we'll start to see some actual water and shipping traffic soon .
Old 03-27-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

The charter company said they plan on having all their boats in the water and ready to go by Memorial Day weekend.

I'm trying to get one with a diesel heater, because even if the air temp is warm, the water temp will be chilly! That'll be new for me, I've never used a heater on a boat before.
Old 03-27-2014

abrahamx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Just got off the phone with my dad and out of curiosity asked him when he remembers Superior freezing over. He said 1936, 1963, 1979, 1994, and this year.

The media sensationalism makes it a "once in a lifetime" or "record" event. I don't get wrapped up in the media sensationalism. Yes, you will only see it a few times in your lifetime. What that does is give you experience like my dad has. It is not a record event, it is not unprecedented, it has happened many times before. Based on historical events it will probably not happen again until I am old and grey and can hopefully sail her one last time after she freezes again.

Hopefully this year will be like I remember in the 90's after she froze. It can get hotter than blazes here with a warm wind from the south. Go out on the lake it's nice and cool, fishing is good in the bays where the water is warmer, if the south breeze has decent humidity in it the lake gets a layer of pea soup fog at night that burns off in the morning. On a still night you can hear the horns from the freighters for 30 miles in the fog. It is absolutely beautiful to witness.
You crack me up. Its not media hype its study groups with high tech devices. Unless your dad has his own satellite or flys over the whole lake every few days and documents this consistently. I would just have to believe the study over someones dad's opinion. I mean seriously? Last I saw, it had not even iced over 100% this year.

Last edited by abrahamx; 03-27-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-27-2014

BobnCamie is on a distinguished road

I was in Superior yesterday and saw two boats heading to two harbors, I was told this anyway, to get two barges out and send them south. Ice breakers were at work recently in harbor and have a few channel open. At least it is a start.
Old 03-27-2014
'81 H22 & '86 Legend 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdogs View Post
Take it to the appropriate venue. This ain't it.

Earlier in the thread, from the moderator:

Climate Change discussions are for Off Topic. Any further mention of Climate Change will result in this thread being banished to PRWG or posts removed and if necessary holidays will follow.
Who said anything about climate change? Somebody wanted to know why the ice didn't melt like it was supposed to. Those are the standard canned answers provided these days, for pete's sake.

It's kind of like if you're going to go sailing and wondering if it's going to be nice, or if it's going to rain. You are given "percent chances" that it might rain. This is called CYA weather forecasting. If the weather person says definitively "it is going to rain" and it doesn't, then they have egg on face. If they give percent chances, then they can resort to the canned responses of why it didn't rain, and proudly proclaim successful weather forecasting if it does.

Pretty soon you become very suspicious that the weather forecaster doesn't really know much more than you do about whether or not it's going to rain. They just got a job on TV and get paid for it, and you don't.

Same thing with the ice melting. 75% chance she'd all melt. 2012 was looking really good and everything on track. People out sailing all over the place in April. Well, now we must've hit the 25% outside chance that it won't melt and we got people pi$$in and moanin over it. So now we have to resort to the canned response of why we still got ice. People have a right to know these things because this inaccurate ice melting forecasting is starting to cut into people's sailing season.
Old 03-27-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Same thing with the ice melting. 75% chance she'd all melt. 2012 was looking really good and everything on track. People out sailing all over the place in April. Well, now we must've hit the 25% outside chance that it won't melt and we got people pi$$in and moanin over it. So now we have to resort to the canned response of why we still got ice. People have a right to know these things because this inaccurate ice melting forecasting is starting to cut into people's sailing season.
You lost me CC . The topic is ice this year on Lake Superior. I don't know what you're talking about, but there is a lot of ice this year. Not unprecedented. Not even a record, but more than the long-term average (as compared to actual, measured data that goes back close to 100 years). What that has to do with how local weather is predicted and communicated eludes me.
Old 03-27-2014

hotdogs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Who said anything about climate change? Somebody wanted to know why the ice didn't melt like it was supposed to. Those are the standard canned answers provided these days, for pete's sake.

It's kind of like if you're going to go sailing and wondering if it's going to be nice, or if it's going to rain. You are given "percent chances" that it might rain. This is called CYA weather forecasting. If the weather person says definitively "it is going to rain" and it doesn't, then they have egg on face. If they give percent chances, then they can resort to the canned responses of why it didn't rain, and proudly proclaim successful weather forecasting if it does.

Pretty soon you become very suspicious that the weather forecaster doesn't really know much more than you do about whether or not it's going to rain. They just got a job on TV and get paid for it, and you don't.

I don't know what any of that has to do about the topic of this thread, but I gleaned from it that you are mad. Maybe now is an appropriate time to step away from the computer, go outdoors and enjoy the weather.

Happy trails.
Sal Paradise likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.