Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road
Ice on Lake Superior in June

Shipping is due to start on Lake Superior tomorrow. Right now an ice breaker is clearing Duluth harbor of ice that is five-feet thick in places.

The captain of the ice-breaking tug said "Last year we were breaking ice on the 4th of May. This year will be worse. There's a lot of slips that will have to be opened up later in the season. I'm sure we' ll have ice with us way into June."

I was hoping to charter over Memorial Day weekend.... Sailing through ice, that would be a first for me!

As Duluth's icebreakers usher in spring, cargo shippers are anxious to begin work
jimgo likes this.
Old 03-21-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Ice on Lake Superior in June

Rent an ice boat over Memorial Day. Problem solved.
Minnesail likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Yup ... our season is going to be very slow getting started this year.

Old 03-21-2014
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Why Is Great Lakes Ice Nearing a Record High, While Arctic Ice Hits a Record Low? - weather.com

excerpt -

From accuweather

research suggests that as the Arctic gets warmer, and the temperature difference between the North Pole and the equator gets smaller, the jet stream's west-to-east winds get weaker. "As those winds get weaker, the jet stream tends to take a wavier path, more northward and southward around the Northern Hemisphere," she explained in a conference call last week.

Why is this important? Because when it moves more in a north-south direction, the jet stream's waves get bigger and slower, she added. "And so the weather they create also moves more slowly, and it tends to feel like on the surface that we’re in a pattern that just seems to get stuck."

This would seem to explain why weather events like this year's persistent cold spells across the eastern U.S. have lasted so long. Though Francis is careful to add that "we can't say the rapidly warming Arctic caused this pattern this year," she says it's "a great example of the kind of pattern we can expect to see happen more often as the globe, and the Arctic in particular, continue to warm."

I have written on a couple of posts my own opinion that the Jet Stream is our problem , but, as some here have said, I am the "type of person who is inclined to believe it anyway"

This is also an informative historical study of ice on the Great Lakes. Cut to the chase, they have only frozen over maybe twice since 1900.

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pubs/fullt...ication_detail

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 03-21-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-21-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

I went a canoe trip in early May a number of years ago north or Toronto when the the ice was still in a bit on one lake. It was a warm day 20C and the ice was like crystal with all sorts of holes in it. When we got to where the ice piled up it was suddenly very cool, When we got through the ice it warmed up a lot. Fabulous day.
MikeOReilly, nodders and Minnesail like this.
Old 03-21-2014
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

not this crap again... take it to the gutter would you

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-21-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Sigh....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas H View Post
In the 1970s according to our government's best intelligence, the earth was heading into a new Ice Age, and ice caps would probably expand for hundreds of years.
Time and Newsweek ran cover stories about global cooling, but Time and Newsweek are popular media, not scientific journals. The popular media is generally a bad place to get your science information.

Climate science was in its infancy, but even then the consensus was that the planet would warm.

What were climate scientists predicting in the 1970s?
"However, these are media articles, not scientific studies. A survey of peer reviewed scientific papers from 1965 to 1979 show that few papers predicted global cooling (7 in total). Significantly more papers (42 in total) predicted global warming (Peterson 2008). The large majority of climate research in the 1970s predicted the Earth would warm as a consequence of CO2. Rather than 1970s scientists predicting cooling, the opposite is the case."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas H View Post
Remember when Al Gore said the global ice caps would be melted by 2012?
No I don't remember that. Could you post a link?

Anyway. Yes, huge ice on Superior this year and I still have two feet of snow in my garden. On the other hand two years ago it was 80ļF on St. Patrick's Day and we were grilling in the backyard.

I sent an email to the charter company asking them if they think they'll have the boats in and be operational on Memorial Day Weekend. Fingers crossed!
Sal Paradise likes this.
Old 03-21-2014

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

The ice ages were obviously a result of over population and the warming trend that once turned southern Ontario into a tropical jungle were obviously caused by the aboriginal coal fired generating plants.
Seaduction likes this.
Old 03-21-2014

crichard is on a distinguished road

Minnesail. Climate change denialists aside......... I've been sailing out of the western end of Lake Superior for over 20 years and have seen ice on the lake Memorial Day only once, maybe this will be the second one. But, the lake is ALWAYS cold that weekend. Nonetheless, those of use that appreciate the beauty of the lake and landscape even with a few ice floes about, still love to get out there. Temperature inversions at time of year can provide some amazing mirages. However, Palm trees won't be the issue. Take a comfy sleeping bag.

The lake has clearly been increasing in ice-free days over the last several decades. As climate models have suggested, the amplitude of annual temperature swings is increasing over the lakes region, average Lake Superior temps are steadily increasing but the variance around that that increase has been madding for local sailors. A few years ago I launched our boat near the first of April, as you've noted, this won't be one of those years. Nonetheless, it's one of the most amazing cruising grounds in North America and worth the sufferage of these crappy winters. (At least that is what I keep telling myself).
MikeOReilly and Minnesail like this.
Old 03-22-2014

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road

Ice or not as soon as the paint dried I'm putting in! I got a lot of sailing I want to do.....Dale
bljones likes this.
Where God got it done!