Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2006
Partially hydrated Member

sanjuan2R is on a distinguished road
Smile Ranger history in Jensen Marine

Just purchased a 1974 Ranger 26 - formerly built by Jensen Marine. Would enjoy learning more about the history of Jensen Marine but there is little info on the Net. Know that they used the Ranger Division to upgrade their popular Cal sales on the East Coast. They employed the reputable designer, Gary Mull, to design a pocket cruiser and other models. Does anyone know where I can get more info on these cruiser/racers? What are the shortcomings of the Ranger sailboats?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2006

DynaMeme is on a distinguished road
Leaky Windows! Seriously, the only shortcoming other than no standing headroom below we ever found.

We owned and raced a Ranger 23 and raced on a Ranger 26 from 1973 to 1977. Gary Mull was a genius. These boats handle every point of sail well though they can be a challenge on a quartering spinnaker run. Frankly that had more to do with spinnaker design at the time. My wife and I sailed our 23 across the Gulf of Mexico from Ft Myers to Destin keeping about 20 miles offshore. The only thing that ever concerned us was being rammed by the dinghy we were towing.

Both boats (and their generational counteparts -- San Juan 24 & 26, Pearson s etc) were so effective on the race course, MORC had to change its rating rule to the 4Q version to stop them from winning. Over night, ugly overgrown unsafe dinghies became the boats to beat.

We tossed the racing burgee in the dumpster and started cruising when that happened.

Our 23 has since been owned by two more people. The second owner was t-boned by a Morgan 3/4 ton, and the Ranger had to be lashed to the other boat's bow to keep it from sinking. He had the boat completely rebuilt and renamed "Sudden Impact." The boat is still club racing under PHRF now that all the 4Q boats are landfill.

Oh yeah, I believe Good Old Boat may have had an article on Jensen Marine.
Old 03-26-2006

"Gary Mull in Retrospect" (History Feature)
Author Steve Henkel
27-nov/dec 02

Good Old Boat Article available online
Old 03-26-2006
Partially hydrated Member

sanjuan2R is on a distinguished road
Ranger history in Jensen Marine

Thanks for your info. I will investigate Rangers & Gary Mull more thoroughly. Can't wait to get it up and sailing in Astoria, OR. Sounds like it should handle those waves OK.
I want to sail it up to Victoria, BC this summer on vacation & maybe some local racing too.
Thanks again.
Old 03-26-2006
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Also checj out Dan Spurr's book "Heart of Glass." It's all about the history of fiberglass boats and has info on just about every manufacturer there ever was. An interesting book about a period of time that fascinates me for some reason.
Old 03-27-2006

Astoria and Victoria are my two favorite places on the planet. Best of luck and I second the motion on Dan Spurr's book.