Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2014
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
Re: Maiden Voyage Newbie Trainwreck

great job Beej ,

Was not to long ago I got my first run at the sailing big boats. I had some post from the pucker time I had in the marina trying to birth my CYC 30 MK1 after a day.

i's now in my 4th season and having a time of my life.
Goos luck and hang in there. BTW I keep a handheld at the helm but I just installed the The Matrix AIS/GPS (GX2200) by standard horizon. Gives me confort in kn owing what other comercial boats are out there in the dark. It sends a alarm when one ig heading my way. It does a lot more. I have been teaching my wife how to call for help just incase of stroke / heart attack or overboard condition.

have fun. Sounds like you care about your safety and the safety of others you will do fine. Here is a link to some of my first post.

Close quarter maneuvering in a swift current
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to ltgoshen For This Useful Post:
BeejDeC (03-27-2014)
Old 03-27-2014
Relapsing

ArcherBowman is on a distinguished road

My world is so very different I have a hard time imagining what it must be like for newbies. While I have very limited experience on 20+ boats, I've been sailing dingies for more than 40 years. My take is utterly different.

I salute those of you willing to jump into this hobby and try something so utterly new.
BeejDeC likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of sailing is? Love. You take a boat in to sea that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her afloat when she oughtta founder... tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens… makes her a home." Captain Malcom Reynolds, Paraphrased
Old 03-27-2014

BeejDeC is on a distinguished road

That's an awesome post ltgoshen. Does my heart good to hear it can happen to the best of us. I was actually pretty proud of the little lady and I. We got out there, sailed for a couple hours, hit nearly 7 knots (probably some current involved) and got back.

I felt like a bit of a cheater motoring the last 45%, but those gusts had really frayed our nerves and I thought I had fouled the jub-furler. Turns out I tried to unfurl from the wrong side after using it and then furling in higher winds. There was no reefing line in the main, so I decided to push back from the table with my modest winnings for the day and motor home instead of beating.

I can't wait to get back out but I won't go until I have a reefing line rigged, a handheld vhf, and a reliable power supply for my tablet/gps. The weather has been horrible. With some luck, I can make headway this weekend.

Sounds like you've put some thought into your comm setup. Are there combo AIS/VHF antennas, or is it always two separate components. That will likely be one of my wintertime/mast down projects as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-27-2014

The Smokester is on a distinguished road

Beej,
Glad you had a successful first sail and have a good-humored perspective. During one of my early voyages on San Francisco Bay I came very close to beaching my beautiful blue water 37 footer on Crissy Field.

One way to proceed is to take lessons from a recognized sailing instruction organization like ASA. That way, you get to learn from your mistakes on other peoples' boat. Sailing with experienced friends is also good.

Review and discuss what goes wrong, and what goes right on every sail. Often you will be surprised to find that something you did a mile away, followed by a cascading series of little misjudgements and failures, finally leads to a crisis.

In my case, we came downwind towards a lee shore, intending to gybe and run parallel. The wind came up, so we decided to "chicken gybe" (come about) instead. The fellow on the main sheet couldn't haul in as fast as I anticipated and we ended up in irons (stalled out) and then lost the lazy sheet to the jib because one of the other crew didn't know how to tie a stopper knot correctly. Fortunately, the engine fired right up.

Really, it all came down to my inexperience with the forces and inertia being responsible for a bigger boat and wind than I was used to and getting task overloaded.

So, keep sailing and keep analyzing. You did great and thanks for sharing.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Smokester For This Useful Post:
BeejDeC (03-28-2014)
Old 03-27-2014
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Great first sail congratulations. Keep doing what your doing and all the secrets will be revealed. As for some advice given take it with a grain of salt. Alfready there have been some inaccuracies and wrong information given by those i thought would know better. Eg. 5 short blasts on the horn means your in trouble. ..Wrong. 5 short blasts is you asking someone else what is their intention. The other thing to remember is even seasoned sailors muck up when first sailing an unfamiliar boat (sometimes). Or even their own boat after a long lay off.
christian.hess likes this.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
The Following User Says Thank You to SimonV For This Useful Post:
BeejDeC (03-28-2014)
Old 03-28-2014

Roadking Larry is on a distinguished road

Last year was my first season on the water in a sailboat. We put the boat in the water the Thursday before Memorial day and come the weekend we were going sailing!!.
I'd gone through ASA 101 a month earlier and had sailed a few times with a friend. All in all since we made it out of and back to the slip in one piece it was a successful adventure. I had a few hiccups and might even have left a few pucker prints in thecockpit cushions. Mostly I was able to more or less convince the boat to do what I wanted it to do, mostly. My wife had never before been on a sailboat and I tried to tell her what to expect with regards to heeling and what she should do if I were to become incapacitated or adrift from the boat. We only had one Oh S**t moment(for her anyway, ive got a great poker face) when the wind had picked up and I let thing get a little out of hand. The boat rounded up and on the way around we washed the starboard rail pretty good. The wife let out a SONOFAB****! as we came around. Since by then we were pretty well head to wind I luffed up, dropped sail and motored back in. Must not have scared her too bad we went back out later in the day after the wind had died back some.

Last edited by Roadking Larry; 03-28-2014 at 04:24 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roadking Larry For This Useful Post:
BeejDeC (03-28-2014)
Old 03-28-2014

fryewe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by svzephyr44 View Post
Big ships have an all around white light in the bow and an all around white light in the stern. The stern light is higher.
Big ships have a ten point (112.5 degree) white light forward and a ten point white light aft with the aft light higher. These are generally called the masthead light and the range light and are very useful in determining the angle on the bow of the ship.

The stern light is a separate 12 point light shining toward the extended track (facing aft).
BeejDeC (03-28-2014)
Old 03-28-2014

BeejDeC is on a distinguished road

She sounds like a keeper Larry.

We rounded up/dipped the rail on the delivery run and that was with three experienced sailors. The inexperienced sailor (me) was standing on the companionway stairs facing the cockpit before falling butt-first onto the corner of the galley stove. I didn't know you could bruise through the entire meat of your arse!

The Following User Says Thank You to BeejDeC For This Useful Post:
Roadking Larry (03-28-2014)
Old 03-28-2014
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeejDeC View Post
I was actually pretty proud of the little lady and I. We got out there, sailed for a couple hours, hit nearly 7 knots (probably some current involved) and got back.
Thats fantastic. One word of caution: Dont spook her. You want a sailing partner for a long time. Its very easy to run off a lady from sailing and very hard to find one that will sail with you. Try to make yall's hobby not your hobby that she helps you with. Let her have the helm a lot. Sounds like you got toyr self a great lady there.

Quote:
I thought I had fouled the jub-furler. .
My Head sails are all hank on but I have 5 headsails and 2 mains. Putting up the right sail for the condition and doing it early is very important.

Quote:
Sounds like you've put some thought into your comm setup. Are there combo AIS/VHF antennas, or is it always two separate components. That will likely be one of my wintertime/mast down projects as well.

Here is my setup.
ST4000 auto pilot
ST50 Speed trim "thru the water"
ST50 Wind Tru/App speed and direction
ST50 VMG

My auto pilot is hooked up to the ST50 wind so that I can sail hands free with utilizing the best points of sail. This is very important for dropping sails if I'm sailing by my self and need to lff the sails for a head-sail chang or reefing.
I can also use the GPS and sail from way point to way point hands free.
This took a lot of learning how to make it all work. But its all starting to work this spring as I had hoped.

I have a hand held VHF for the marina and river areas.

I have the Garmin echo50 GPS with sonar using a in-hull transducer.
I have the new The Matrix AIS/GPS (GX2200) Here is the cool thing:
The GX2200 MATRIX AIS/GPS, features a 66 channel WAAS GPS antenna integrated into the front panel of the radio, now there is no need to hassle with wiring the radio to a GPS for DSC (Digital Selective Calling) or AIS (Automated Identification System). Out of the box and ready to go

Oh! and I have the Garmin and the radio hooked together so that I can see an overlay on the GPS the AIS function of my radio. Realy cool stuff. I wanted this because I will be doing over night trips I hope this spring to ports like Savannah and Charleston. I want to see all commercial traffic at the helm not just below at the radio.

The biggest thing is getting the boat user frindly. It needs to work for you. I had a lot of help from the guys on this site. I dont know how long it would took without them. I think I had like 500 post the first year. They are a great bunch and will help you a lot. 1 hint with help questions. Be very to the point and dont run on. Think out your question first. To see how it sounds. Then send it out. Take all their advice with a grain of salt. You will find that with ever 3 questions you ask 5 will argue the answer and leave you struggling to find resolve. But look for consences and common sence. Get out on the water ever chance you can. the first year I went 40 times with an average of 25 miles thats 1,000 the first year then I went 32 times with an average of 40 miles thats 1,280 miles. I cant do much more than that unless I leave for a cruise. In that time I have learned a wealth of lessions.I have replaced an engine. I have run aground. I have been over charged Pleanty that a ASA101 102, 303, would never have taught me even clos to the lessions I learnt.If you dont kill your self or heut anybody else you are doing good. If you can afford lessions ? Sure by all means. But for me life has always been a good teacher for me. Good sailing and remember dont run her off.

Cheers, LT
Old 03-28-2014

Chevyj is on a distinguished road

Good experience and thanks for sharing....
The Following User Says Thank You to Chevyj For This Useful Post:
BeejDeC (03-28-2014)

Tags
funny , maiden , newbie , sail