Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2014

edmcctn is on a distinguished road
Re: Maiden Voyage Newbie Trainwreck

Enjoyed your story. I know the terror, I have a new to me 25' Dufour I am itching to put in the water. Looking for a sailing partner with some experience. Thank god for luck,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to edmcctn For This Useful Post:
BeejDeC (03-28-2014)
Old 03-28-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Beej-
"Smartphone apps are too small."
Speaking of small things, cell phones ALWAYS used to have a little hole where a lanyard or wrist strap could be attached. But the companies quickly caught on to the fact that they could sell a lot more replacement phones a lot sooner if they deleted the attachment point and made it impossible (literally, impossible) to put a wrist strap or lanyard on the phone.
Note that anything small and valuable stands a pretty good chance at going overboard unless you are clutching it tightly, or there's a way to attach it. Cell phone, handheld VHF, bottle of sunblock...especially if a wake hits you, unexpected, and the boat starts rocking.

Five-
"DSC or not, I thought it was illegal to use a marine VHF over land. "
It is illegal, unless you've got a special license, i.e. for a yacht club's dockmaster on the docks. There are plenty of other radios designated for shoreside use.

Simon-
Five horn blasts is not interrogation, it is the danger signal in US Inland Waters.
Boat US - Online Boating Safety Study Guide
BoatUS thinks so too:
"•Five Short Blasts - This is the DANGER signal. Remember, that when you approach another vessel and hear either one or two short blasts, and you both understand their signal and can safely let them do it, then you are required to respond with the same signal in response. However, if you don't understand their intentions, or feel that their proposed maneuver is dangerous to either vessel, then you are required to sound the DANGER signal."

And I'll tell you that I've heard it used by unschooled amateurs like the NY Staten Island ferries.

"Five" signals are actually common in the US. Five bells means "turn out all available equipment" to a fire company, a "five-alarm fire". Five bells on the old news teletypes meant "Drop everything the world just ended". Used when NORAD accidentally declared a nuclear attack had started, and when JFK was shot. Five bells is never good news.
The Following User Says Thank You to hellosailor For This Useful Post:
BeejDeC (03-29-2014)
Old 03-28-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
.... Eg. 5 short blasts on the horn means your in trouble. ..Wrong. 5 short blasts is you asking someone else what is their intention. ...
That may be the case in Australia, but in the US inland waters where the OP sails, it's the danger signal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 03-28-2014

BeejDeC is on a distinguished road

Itgoshen,

Thanks for that thoughtful response. I had wondered why radios displayed AIS. Seemed like the wrong component for it. Cool that it can talk to the plotter. I saw a chartplotter system with built in bluetooth or wifi.. either way, it could essentially project itself onto a tablet as well. Apparently that way you can keep your $ plotter mounted in the dry/safe and be more adventurous with the cheapo tablet. The more I learn, the more I realize I'm a bay cruiser guy for at least two years. Will take at least that long before the boat or I are ready for much more. You'll probably be upgrading by then and I'll buy your used lectronics!

Speaking of the little lady.. she's a real trooper. Brave as they come. She grew up near L.I. sound, so I assumed she'd been on boats a lot. I gave her the helm and she took the wheel without complaint. Turns out she'd never been at the helm on anything... EVER. I do let her steer most of the time though.

Anyhow, I ramble.
Thanks again.
DRFerron likes this.

Old 03-28-2014

Roadking Larry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeejDeC View Post
She sounds like a keeper Larry.

We rounded up/dipped the rail on the delivery run and that was with three experienced sailors. The inexperienced sailor (me) was standing on the companionway stairs facing the cockpit before falling butt-first onto the corner of the galley stove. I didn't know you could bruise through the entire meat of your arse!
It was only the 3rd time I'd been able to get her on a boat in 31 years of marriage. I was a little afraid I'd screwed the pooch with that manuever. She still sails with me but she prefers the light wind days.
Old 03-29-2014
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I saw a chartplotter system with built in bluetooth or wifi.. either way, it could essentially project itself onto a tablet as well. Apparently that way you can keep your $ plotter mounted in the dry/safe and be more adventurous with the cheapo tablet...
If you're going to get a turnkey chartplotter, I would recommend putting it in the cockpit. It's made to stand up to the elements.

I'm as big an advocate for tablets as anyone. I've never gotten a full chartplotter. Instead, I have a RAM mount with netbook in the cockpit (soon to be replaced by a tablet), displaying GPS and AIS using OpenCPN. But I sail on a protected river, and my cockpit is dry 95% of the time. However, I always have my Garmin handheld mounted next to it, and if it gets wet in the cockpit the computer goes down below. However, the Garmin is always there because it is waterproof. You need something in the cockpit that will not crap out if it gets wet. Either a chartplotter or handheld.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 03-29-2014

BeejDeC is on a distinguished road

Take 5,
ty. That OpenCPN looks very interesting. Crazy to think you can see AIS, charts, tides, and weather with an open source program. If they incorporate the ability to drive an auto pilot and overlay analog radar, they'll put a lot of people out of business!

I'll be a tablet guy short term.. perhaps mounted on a swing-out in the companionway for shelter. Your program makes me think I should possibly opt for a windows os as opposed to android though.

Beej

Old 03-29-2014
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

OpenCPN will accept any NMEA 0183 inputs, including wind, depth, fluxgate compass from autopilot, etc. Plus, AIS and GPS, of course.

There is a plugin available for radar overlay, but I have not personally tried it.

I will also control your autopilot. I do this routinely.

However, the interfacing for all this is pretty heavyweight stuff. It's not plug-and-play. But once you have it set up, it's very reliable.

I think OpenCPN makes the Win8 tablets more attractive than Android. But there are good programs for all platforms.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 03-29-2014
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Here is my advice: MOTB and KISS

Master Of The Basics
Keep It Simple Sailor

All you need are your boat, sails, a compass and a paper chart. A depth finder helps, too. A wife who is a good sport is icing on the cake.

Forget the frickin fancy electronics, and all the complications, and learn how to sail your boat without relying on the toys.

Too many people on Sailnet have skipped the elementary steps to becoming a good sailor by starting out with too many gizmos, on too big boats, with too many people onboard, including the "expert" skipper/instructor.

You have a tremendous opportunity to learn sailing in a somewhat challenging environment on a fundamentally sound good old boat. Buy the Maptech Chart Kit for Region 4 Chesapeake and Delaware Bays. Buy the Maryland Cruising Guide. Buy Eldridge Tide and Pilot Book 2014 and learn how to use it. Buy Schelenger's "Cruising the Chesapeake".

Go out and enjoy! Take that trip to Cape May or Lewes. Time the tidal current right and it's a great trip. Go to the Sassafras River or Still Pond.

What you lack are practice, time on the water, experience and confidence. Sounds like you are doing well so far on your journey.
Old 03-29-2014
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

Quote:
Take 5,
ty. That OpenCPN looks very interesting. Crazy to think you can see AIS, charts, tides, and weather with an open source program.
Beej
When you graduate up to more distance cruising you will discover that the cost of the chart plotter is nothing compared to the cost of the charts. One major advantage of OpenCPN is that the US government publishes free charts of the entire US (including the USVI and Puerto Rico) that are updated on a weekly basis. We (the US) also publish free charts of all the big rivers - e.g. Mississippi. Each government publishes its own charts. Unfortunately only the US publishes them for free. In the old days when you purchased a US paper chart you were not purchasing the content but rather the cost of production. I have been told that this is a quirk that the original charts were not copyrighted.

Fair winds and following seas.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:

Blog:

Last edited by svzephyr44; 04-02-2014 at 11:26 PM.

Tags
funny , maiden , newbie , sail

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.