Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2014

Velton is on a distinguished road
Operating a boat in another state?

Gretting's, First post but been dreaming for some time now..

Anyways... I plan on having a few toys paid off in the next couple years and have always wanted to get into sailing...only problem is I live in Arizona. I understand I could sail in a lake but I have always loved the ocean. So this is my plan and let me know how doable this is.

I would love to own a sailboat and have it in San Diego. San Diego is about 6-7 hour drive. Unfortunatley I am stuck in Arizona and can not move closer for some time. Is it common to own/operate a boat that is so far away? I plan on doing all the maintenance my self but am not sure on how much time I will need to plan on driving down for maintenance.

If it help's the boat will be 28-32 foot and would have to stay put in Cali.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2014

CLOSECALL is on a distinguished road
Re: Operating a boat in another state?

I wouldn't advise it. I drive 6.5 hours to my boat and it is doable for me but that is because I am retired. I held off buying a boat until I was retired because I felt it would be really hard to enjoy it on such a tight schedule. Now I can go whenever I want and stay as long as I want. You need to be back to work on Monday.
You should spend a few more years dreaming and chartering.
Old 03-24-2014
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

There's a lot of people who have boats in the tropics in the South but live up North. It's doable. Maintenance depends on what it is you're willing to take on for the time you have.

I live in TN but my boat is in KY. Other than marina fees, I'd have to pay a property tax for KY. It's only an hour away so it works out pretty good for me. My boat was previously in CA and they required a Use Tax (basically for using it in CA waters).

It all depends on how much time you are able to devote to the travel and to maintaining it but it is doable if you really want to do it.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 03-24-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

any more input? Im very interested in this topic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Islander 36 refit still going on...

Old 03-24-2014

shank32095 is on a distinguished road

Sorry, A little off topic but if I bring a vessel from another country here to Florida to sell what tax would I expect to pay say on a $500000 vessel?

thanks
Old 03-24-2014
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

If you are just getting into sailing.. there are some very nice "maxi-trailerable" boats.. 28 feet is about the cut off. I would look into something you could keep and move with a truck and a trailer and then you could either sail on the lake, or if you get a couple of days, drag it to the coast for some coastal sailing

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 03-24-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

I should think having a private jet would simplify the traveling quite a bit. Have you considered a cheap Lear Jet or 707?
Seriously; we know a lot of "commuter cruisers" and their biggest complaint, when they do get down here to sail, is that they can spend anywhere from a week to 6 or more, just getting systems back up and running after sitting unattended. They have about twice as many breakdowns as those of us who use our boats 12 months a year.
Isn't there somewhere in the gulf that's closer, even if it is Mexico?
Also, if you keep your boat in California, they are going to charge you taxes, just like Fla does.
Old 03-25-2014
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road

I would leave my boat in Mexico before I would leave it in California.

Old 03-25-2014

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

First to the OP... I am afraid that this sounds to me like a plan for neglecting a boat. You are probably going to get very tired of spending all the time to drive to the boat, and then all the time to take care of routine maintenance issues, and then just a tiny bit of time to sail it, and then once again all the time to drive back home. What will happen (I'm guessing) is that you'll find these to be long, tiring, and not very fun trips. Because of that you will do it less and less often. Eventually you will realize that it has been more than a year since you've been over to the boat and that you don't even have a clue what condition it is in any more.

I hope I'm wrong, and that you will actually go and use the boat often enough to make this worthwhile, but I have to say that if you do you will be a very extraordinary exception to the rule.

For the fellow who asked what it will cost him to sell his boat in Florida... It depends. Maybe nothing. When you sell a boat it is the buyer who pays the sales tax, not the seller. BUT, you may have to register it and pay sales tax depending on other circumstances. The best advice for you would be to get some recommendations, find a reputable broker, and talk to him/her about the best way to sell your boat.
Old 03-25-2014

shank32095 is on a distinguished road

Denver, You might be wrong. My first boat was a 28' Irwin. I lived in Tallahassee and drove every weekend to St. Augustine (210 miles one way) to sail for the weekend, every weekend. sometimes just for saturday and then come back and have open house on one of my spec homes. That was in 1986 and I had a passion for sailing. Moved to SA and moved up to a J-30. Now I live in Brazil and just bought my new vessel in KK Malaysia. It is currently 10;30 am here and 9;30 pm there in KK. Now tell me if I don't have a passion for sailing or just plain crazy? My new ride.

Jiminri likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.