SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   "The 2 happiest days of a boatowners life are..." (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/129729-2-happiest-days-boatowners-life.html)

Fau 03-24-2014 06:21 PM

"The 2 happiest days of a boatowners life are..."

I don't buy it. I just don't. I bought my first sailboat 2 years ago right after taking a couple of lessons on a flying scott. It is a 27' O'day. It isn't the ugliest boat in the mooring field but it is no where near the prettiest. I think about that boat every day. When things are hectic at work or a day is particularly frustrating I think to myself that sailboat is waiting in the mooring field a short 12 minute drive away. I didn't have a lot of time yesterday but I freed up a couple of hours to dinghy out to the sailboat, cast off and go up and down on the Intercoastal a couple of times. I really enjoy singlehanding the boat as I believe it forces me to get better and quicker at everything. After a relatively brief sail a got it back on the mooring and went home. I felt great the whole rest of the day and most of today just having spent some time sailing her this weekend. Sailing is a tremendous experience that seems to lift my spirits long after I've finished and I've gotten my money's worth out of that boat many times over already.

Thanks for reading

Rhapsody-NS27 03-24-2014 06:27 PM

Re: "The 2 happiest days of a boatowners life are..."

I think of my boat often. It's so much more relaxing than going to the office. It's a good way to de-stress and decompress.

aelkin 03-24-2014 06:33 PM

Fau;
That's great!
I'm happy you feel this way today...it's not like that old adage applies to 2 consecutive days.
I still think of my current boat every day as well...and it still makes me as happy as it makes you. However, I have an old boat sitting on a cradle, too. 2 years ago, it made me happy...and then I got a new boat that makes me happier still!
The old boat is costing me $1000 a year in storage. Her value is depreciating every month, and I'm worried about water, dirt, engine, paint, and myriad other things that might be going wrong.
The day I sell her will be almost as happy as the day I bought her....and that, I think, is the point of the expression.

I'm sure that someday, I'll want to get rid of my current boat, and I may not want to replace her. On that day, I hope someone is sad, because I will be giving up a great lifestyle...but I suspect that if I'm ready to do that, I'll be just as happy to part with her as I was to buy her in the first place...again - the adage rings true.

Food for thought.

Andy

Multihullgirl 03-24-2014 08:32 PM

Selling wasn't happy for me at all. I still cry to think about my ex-boat.

Lemonshirt 03-24-2014 08:52 PM

It's a lot like women. We're thrilled when we get one. But over time, we start to think about "the next one". *smile*

CatMan22 03-24-2014 09:01 PM

Fau, this is so in my wheelhouse, there is not a day goes by that i don't think of or look at photos of my boat, unfortunately I'm waiting for winter to release it's hold on where I am at. To be honest, the only time i seem to be totally focused and in the moment is when I am on the boat or doing a boat project, the rest of the time I am distracted by , you guessed it, the boat.

manatee 03-24-2014 10:45 PM

“ 'Master and Owner of the Racundra.' Does any man need a prouder title or description? In moments of humiliation, those are the words that I shall whisper to myself for comfort. I ask no others on my grave."

Arthur Ransome, "Racundra’s First Cruise"

Sashav 03-25-2014 05:50 AM

Sometimes I think about my boat more often than I think of my wife, but I love them both.

weinie 03-25-2014 05:54 AM

I think that phrase was coined by powerboaters.

BarryL 03-25-2014 10:08 AM

Hey,

I still remember watching the new owner sail away in 'My Boat' after closing on the sail. It was NOT a happy time for me. I enjoyed that boat, put a lot of effort into it, learned a lot and had many good memories.

Barry