Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Fire ! / Heat Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
The boat that got the fire started was an '83 Hunter 31.
This boat has been for sale for three years at least. I looked at it but it had big issues with the support beam under the mast.

They don't allow shore power hookups on the hard there and I know where that boat was I don't think there are any outlets near by.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited by miatapaul; 03-25-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2014
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear about this Ron.
This blows in the worst way. This is the time you would be getting your boat ready for launching. Instead you'll be dealing with insurance claims for some time.
My boat is just down river from you in Nyack, if you need a sailing fix.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-25-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Sorry man. I hope it's only superficial and that this stuff can be fixed quickly.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-26-2014

Mark1977 is on a distinguished road

Hope everything works out for you. That's quite a bit of damage.
Old 03-26-2014

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

This is just me but...

I would not loose a sailing season over this. Get photos, get a surveyor, talk to the insurance guys... and then launch. If nothing other than the light is critical, go. Even if the furler is not functional, it is still a foil (should be able to hoist and drop easily). Inspect the stem head and forestay to make certain they are sound. It shouldn't be too hard for a close inspection to reveal the maximum temperature they saw.

Get a cash award and fix it next winter.

Of course, everything I said based upon there being no serious structural issues. There is some melted bumper and some gelcoat that may be damaged--I certainly can't tell from photos--but perhaps nothing that can't wait until a mid-summer break or fall. What is the value of a lost season? You can't ever get it back, you could have unforgettable experiences on the water, and insurance won't cover the living you loose it. Though I take good care of my boat and enjoy tinkering and perfecting, at the end of the day it is a tool for living.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 03-26-2014

MarioG is on a distinguished road

Ron I would say you are very lucky as I don't see any thing other then what you have described.

I would make sure to have a few qualified people look at it as I'm sure after Sandy the insurance company is going to try to low ball the cost.

I am the Capt of my ship but sometimes I think I had more fun just being the cabin boy.
Old 03-26-2014

MIsailor is on a distinguished road

That really blows. I went through a similar experience although mine was in an indoor storage facility so there was a lot of smoke damage. I was several boats away from the one that caught fire so I thought I was fine. Just some cleanup and then launch I thought. It ended up being a lot more work and money than I imagined. Smoke gets everywhere and smoke from a fiberglass fire leaves soot that was hard to clean. The marina insisted they had to do the initial cleaning if it was done on their property because of the potential hazardous runnoff. The cleaning chemicals they used destroyed the finish of anything plastic on deck. What a mess. Needless to say I haven't been back to that marina. Work closely with your insurance company and take pictures of everything before you move stuff around. Hope you have less work than I did.
Old 03-26-2014

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

Choose and hire your own independent surveyor rather than relying on the guy the insurance company sends (he works for them) and charge it back to them.

Pay special attention to the topsides nearest the heat source. Polyester is a plastic and the plasticizers that keep the laminate "plastic" can be gassed off from excess heat with little visible evidence, thereby weakening the laminate.

I almost always recommend a plug be pulled to ensure the laminate is sound in these circumstances. As you are going to have repairs in that area anyway, a plug won't make much difference to the work involved.
Old 03-31-2014

RonRelyea is on a distinguished road

update on the survey ....

Surveyor found some glass delamination on the starboard bow. With that repair, new furler, nav lights, anchor rhode, rub rail and insert, etc., the total came to about $6,400.

The claim remains open in case they find additional damage to the hull-deck joint after they take off the rub rail .....

THANKS EVERYONE for the kind words and advice! If anyone thinks of anything else, feel free to chime in!
Old 03-31-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

With additional financial exposure, they may start thinking about totaling the boat and selling off the hull. Probably not, if the claim stays as is. Not sure if that would be good or bad news for you, but be prepared.

So, what started the fire? Some of the insurance company's decision making could be a matter of whether they are the loss payer or if they can collect their damages via subrogation.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.