Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2006

LaLeLu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryvand
As a former monohull sailor who now happily sails in a cat I can tell you I have yet to meet a cat sailor who would go back to sailing a mono.
There is a guy on my dock that has a Gemini that says he wants to sell her and go back to monohull. He said he loves the roominess - but doesn't like the way she sails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2006

gershel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster
Semi-serious here...... just remember that a catamaran's MOST stable position is upside down!
And a monohulls most stable position is on the bottom.
Neither statement makes any sense!

GET A LIFE

Marc
Old 03-30-2006

Alchemist909 is on a distinguished road
Price is the biggest negative

of a catamaran. I'm starting to look for a boat to live on, and although catamarans have tons of room, that room comes at a fairly steep price as compared to a monohull.

Aside from that obvious negative, (and never having sailed on one), I would seriously consider a cat.

Steve
Old 03-31-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by gershel
And a monohulls most stable position is on the bottom.
Neither statement makes any sense!

GET A LIFE

Marc
Marc:
With all due respect, lighten up.

I think two things bear out my comment which was, in part, in jest.

Anyone who has had the misfortune to flip a beach cat without masthead flotation will agree.

Also the fact that many ocean-going multis provide escape hatches in the bottom of the hull(s) backs it up.

On the "flip" side (sorry), at least a multi is more likely to stay afloat in that condition, where most monohulls would rapidly sink if similarily swamped.

I'm not anti-multihull. We are fortunate to have friends that are serious, long time multi sailors and the most exhilarating sail I've had was on their Farrier 25C tri, reaching 17-18 knots in 12 knots of breeze. Great fun. But their stress level rises with the wind force curve when things pick up and they work hard to keep the speed down to avoid a major mishap.

It's also worth noting that when these same people decided to buy a boat to winter in the Caribbean, they chose a monohull.

One last thing: on a recent 50 mile passage from Guadaloupe to Antigua, close reaching in 20 -22 knots the Bene 36.7 we were on gave up at most 1 mile to a brand-new 40 foot cruising cat on a parallel course. The speed advantage was not hugely apparent. The space aboard was impressive, and it would be the best beach/party platform.

Ron
Old 03-31-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you're really interested, you might want to take a look at Chris White's book, The Cruising Multihull. A bit dated, but still quite applicable.
Old 03-31-2006

gershel is on a distinguished road
FASTER;

You're right, I should lighten up. There are just so many unknowledgable "bashers" out there.

As far as living aboard, you can't compare a tri to a cat. A tri is a mono with outriggers. A cat with a 20' beam is a boat with a 20" wide interior. As a live aboard a cat can't be beat.

Concerning speed, most cruising cats are about the same or very slightly faster than a mono, especially when loaded down for cruising.

Marc
Old 04-02-2006

Sonofasonofasailor is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the input from both sides of the discussion.
I learned a little about why both are good and not so good for each use.
That seems to be the general theme in sailing though. Each boat has its purpose depending on the user and the users intent.
Old 04-05-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You should get and read Chris White's The Cruising Multihull. It has a pretty good discussion of the pros and cons of a multihull compared to a monohull. It also talks about the differences between cats and tris. I'm the owner of a trimaran, and prefer them, as they have fewer performance issues, compared to cats, and my boat is a folding trimaran, that fits into a standard marina slip.
Old 04-07-2006
Banned

Rickm505 is on a distinguished road
Cat owner

Hi all,

Most of these posts are from people who don't own a Catamaran, so I thought it was time for another Cat owner to jump in.

I own a small cruising catamaran and live in Merritt Island FL. I sail on the Intracoastal Waterway. The catamaran is a perfect boat for my sailing area as it has shallow draft (28").

There are pluses and minuses to catamarans, as there are with any boat. The largest benefit in my opinion is space. My cat has the interior volume of a monohull 50% larger. Follow the link to my web page and have a look for yourselves.

On the minus side... mine is a motorsailor. As previously mentioned, cats aren't very good going to weather but my twin Yanmar inboard diesels more than make up for poor pointing ability. Motoring range 400 NM. A side benefit is watching me come into my slip in the marina. I turn my boat on a dime.

On the minus side... price...

On the plus side ... no heeling. I know, for you dedicated sailors, this isn't a plus, but you'd be surprised how pleasantly surprised guests are, when they realize their drinks stay where they put them.

Also on the plus side, is I don't use my dingy very often, as I just motor right up onto a beach, where I can, and hop off the bow. It works great (smile), and attracts a lot of attention.

As far as stability, any modern cat with more than a 2 to 1 aspect ratio isn't going to turn turtle very easily, and no.. my cat has no such 'trap door' in the hull. I should mention that my boat was sailed to Florida from England without incident ...enough said..

I see there is another person from my neighborhood in this thread. Would you like to comment on how many cats you now see on the ICW? A few years ago practically none. But these days, about 30% of boats actually sailing are multihulls.

The Miami Boat show this year was all about cats. It's a trend that will continue! Unfortunately price is the largest negative factor. Even small crusing Cats like mine are outragously priced when compared to monohulls.

By the way, that fellow you mentioned in the Gemini wouldn't happen to be Steve at Harbortown??

Rick in Merritt Island.
Old 04-07-2006

LaLeLu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickm505
I see there is another person from my neighborhood in this thread. Would you like to comment on how many cats you now see on the ICW?
By the way, that fellow you mentioned in the Gemini wouldn't happen to be Steve at Harbortown??

Rick in Merritt Island.
I think you mean me? I do see quite a few cats on the ICW - but would guess it is no where near the 30% in your quote. We are on D dock in Harbor Town and I think there is 1 cat on our dock. The whole marina has probably less than 10. I think I know who Steve is - the guy on the Gemini that is on E dock (with the cactus growing in a pot). He wasn't who I was referring to. I am not knocking Cats - I thought the original post was asking for the down side. We looked at cats prior to buying our current boat, and after thinking real hard about them, decided to go for a Mono. There's pros and cons to both - I am not trying to be self rightous. We are at the end of D dock on the West side (I think it is #37). Stop by next time you are around! There's a marine yard sale going on this w/e if you are interested.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.