SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Multi-hulls? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/12990-multi-hulls.html)

Sonofasonofasailor 03-29-2006 11:01 AM

Multi-hulls?

All I've heard about cats is the good compared to traditional mono-hull boats. Most prominent is faster and roomier. But I have not heard anybody saying what the disadvantages are. There have to be some right? Otherwise wouldn't everybody be in a cat by now? I know that they are more expensive but is that the only drawback to a cat? Just seeking more info. on the topic. Thanks in advance for your thoughts, opinions or substantiated facts!
JB

TrueBlue 03-29-2006 11:20 AM

One "substantiated" disadvantage - the large catamaran on the T-slip at the end of our marina dock, is scorned by everyone who tries to navigate around it - including us. It takes up the space of two mono-hulls. I would also imagine the relatively wide beam to be a negative in tight-quarters maneuvering

We sailed on a 42 footer last year in Key Largo and while scuba diving off the outer reef while at anchor in 2-3 foot seas, the boat had an awkward pounding and slapping motion. However, the amount of space was very luxurious.

haffiman37 03-29-2006 12:30 PM

Multihulls.

These comments are not based upon own experiences but observations and discussions with multi hull owners during our trip.
Their main advantage as of sailing speed is exagurated. They do not go well down wind and have problems uppwind, but with the wind 45 -120 they may be faster. They are in most conditions more stable and calmer in the movement, but in severe conditions may tilt forward! and stays upside down! In adition some have a severe banging from the sea in the deck section between the hulls when going up wind.All multihulls must have escape hatches below deck, and I heard incidents about leakage problems in bad weather. They have lots of space in the deck saloon, but may be more narrow in the below quarters. For island cruising probably ideal, not so sure when it comes to circum navigation. The bigger ones 35+ seems to need at least some 15 knots of wind before they may use their speed potensial. With drafts normally less than 1 M you may anchor or 'park' almost everywhere. And double all the costs except for the sails when it comes to maintainance and harbor fees.
It all comes down to priorities.

LaLeLu 03-29-2006 01:51 PM

The biggest disadvantage IMO is weight limits. You have lots of space, but can't load them down. On a monohul, the more you can pack in, the better she sails. If you over pack a cat it drags instead of surfing. Cats are designed to surf. Also, I think the helm is awkward on cats - you can't see around them very well b/c of the height of the cabin top. Everyone else on the boat is usually forward on the deck and the helmsperson gets stuck back at the helm alone - cut off from everyone else. I love the feeling of a well-heeled sailboat cutting through the water, so I don't see it as a plus that they cats sail flat. Funnest passages I have done included a rail in the water. Last thing that comes to mind is that they have an uncomfortable walking motion in choppy sea.

ughmo2000 03-29-2006 02:42 PM

Having never sailed a cat prior and now, just having returned from delivering a Lagoon 37 I'll mention my thoughts, such as they are.

A different motion for sure. Not bad but like a piece of plywood floating on the ocean.

Coffee cups, bottles of wine, et.al. stayed where put on counters except in rough weather.

Plenty of room to lounge about inside and out along with good storage.

It didn't point as well and did take a bit to tack. We did well although our sails were quite old and stretched.

Bottom line, we're I looking for a liveaboard I'd now definitly include cats in my search.

FWIW

Faster 03-29-2006 10:51 PM

Semi-serious here...... just remember that a catamaran's MOST stable position is upside down!

nolatom 03-30-2006 12:59 AM

Cats are slow and sluggish "through the stays" (tacking) and hence aren't that much fun on a beat. A good monohull is a delight on a beat and tacking in close quarters.

henryvand 03-30-2006 10:54 AM

cat sailors never go back

As a former monohull sailor who now happily sails in a cat I can tell you I have yet to meet a cat sailor who would go back to sailing a mono.

jnanjorl 03-30-2006 11:45 AM

hi jeff here i've come accross this in my meanderings http://www.hypermax.com/multihullsma..._multihull.htm or google buying a multihull then go to ten comandments to buying a multihull

jnanjorl 03-30-2006 11:47 AM

ok that didn't work well just try the google search as i know it works ...jeff