Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2014

Rover33 is on a distinguished road
Re: Sea Delivery from SFO to PNW how feasible?

If you must do this trip on a schedule, reconsider.

We used to sail out of Coos Bay, Oregon, and our boat is currently in Wrangell, Alaska. When we both worked, and had schedules to keep, we got into some nasty weather moving up and down the Oregon and Washington coasts. When we retired, and no longer had a schedule, it was much easier.

We have met a number of circumnavigators who said that the weather off the northwest coast was the worst of their entire voyage.

Given the time to wait for good weather windows, it can be pretty straightforward, though it is always cold.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-17-2014

Freedom007 is on a distinguished road

I have made this trip multiple times. Boats have been 29 ft to 41 ft. Not counting the 6 times I have taken my 32 ft boat up. I would not recommend going up before mid May as the the weather is still too unpredictable. Prevailing winds are from the s to sw till then or early June so you can get a good push. However you might run into a storm from the north that can make it very rough. The folks that do the swift sure head up early May and nearly all ways get a bit of a beating. The Bar crossings are really not that bad in good weather but in bad there is NO crossing them. Coast guard will tell you not to try it and they will not come to rescue you if you attempt against their advise. I have gone up the close route and as far out as 150 NM. It can be a fun trip.
Old 04-17-2014

Freedom007 is on a distinguished road

Wanted to add also I have been caught off the wash coast twice in horrendous storms. Stayed off shore far enough to lay ahull and just hang on. 50 knt sustained winds an 15-18 ft seas. Worst part was not being able to make coffee !!
vega1860 and northoceanbeach like this.
Old 04-17-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Trucks on the I5 are your friend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-17-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Trucks on the I5 are your friend.
I dunno, friends that charge that much to hang out with you are more like an entourage.

Trucks are seriously being considered. It also depends on what price I can get and when the deal can close, and how much of a window I can get. Some kind of schedule must be a factor because I can't retire yet (darn!). I can try and make the window really big and at the right time of year though.

Medsailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 04-17-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

If you are considering a schedule to deliver it on its own bottom, remember that a calendar is the most dangerous thing on any boat.
MedSailor likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-17-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Med, I'll admit to looking at this too hard, but is there a halfway point that might work? Sail it part way so you get the adventure you want, then truck it the rest of the way. Maybe stop in Eureka, Crescent City, or Coos Bay and have it trucked from there?
1975 Albacore 15

Old 04-17-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Med, I'll admit to looking at this too hard, but is there a halfway point that might work? Sail it part way so you get the adventure you want, then truck it the rest of the way. Maybe stop in Eureka, Crescent City, or Coos Bay and have it trucked from there?
Actually yes, that is plan B. What I think I can arrange is about 14-18 days off in a row. I can bring 2 competent crew who are retired (no calendars). It's a 48hr run, by my guesstimate to crescent city and probably just over that much to grays harbor. Both would be good bail out points to either come back another day and continue the delivery, or to hire a skipper to finish it for me. Or, have a truck pick it up part of the way.

I'd like to think that I can get lucky enough to have one or more 2 day weather windows in a 2-2.5 week period. We'll see....

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 04-17-2014

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
When discussing this plan with potential crew, the issue of running at night came up. My original thought was that yes, we should run at night as to make the most ground in as short a time as possible and to minimize exposure to weather. Also, there is a schedule, (bad thing) and I can't take 3 months to do the trip, so this being a delivery, I was thinking go go go....

The objection came from the point (and a good one at that) that there is a lot of floating debris in our part of the world. 40ft long longs 1ft in diameter are common, and I've clocked on on my Formosa 41 at full speed (with no damage) before. The boat in question doesn't have a prop in an apeture and has a modified fin "cruising keel" and a strong hull. I don't fear a hull breach from hitting something, but folding over a prop blade is possible.

Anchoring each night seems to be to add a considerable amount of time to the trip. It's not as though you can just pull over an stop anywhere on the coast so you have to pick your anchorages and you may arrive early thus cutting short your daylight running hours. Also going inland and back out to sea each day, weighing the anchor etc would all add up quickly I would think.

What do you think of the idea of just running slower at night. Continuing to make good speed north, but reducing the potential for damage if something is hit?

MedSailor
Depending on how far off shore you plan to go, I believe there is a lot of ship & barge traffic, north & south bound. Radar & AiS would help but my experience of running at night out of San Francisco, in the boat below, without either, was scary at best. One night we were pre-occupied with very rough conditions and were nearly run down. If the ship saw us, they didn't care, no whistle, nothing.

Tanker Owners Admit Evidence Indicates Ship Hit Fishing Boat - Los Angeles Times

Even in daylight, they can close on you very quickly.

Paul T
Attached Thumbnails
Sea Delivery from SFO to PNW how feasible?-two-brothers.jpg  
Old 04-18-2014
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

I still vote sail it.

If you do it partway, once you're in crescent city or wherever, you won't want to bail.
also, it will not save you any money to have a truck come to crescent city or eureka. That in the trucking boonies. There are a lot of trucking companies that do boats that go between the Bay Area and Seattle. I have talke to some. Between those two points you're right where they are and on major interstates. It's a straight shot. To get them to come over some crazy back road into crescent city is going to cost a hefty premium, if you're going to truck. Truck from the Bay Area.

If you don't want to sail it up, spend a couple weeks cruising down to Monterey and back, or go up the Sacramento River delta and enjoy the warm dry weather. It will be fun to try a new cruising ground in relative safety before going back to the familiar pnw.