SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   What would you do you are off Hatteras ? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/131658-what-would-you-do-you-off-hatteras.html)

rockDAWG 04-02-2014 01:50 PM

What would you do you are off Hatteras ?

https://24.media.tumblr.com/c8d55367...3s9to1_500.png

1. Are you nut Moron, stay home hahah.
2. Sail right into it this coming Monday nite and Tuesday Morning, the weather is likely to be wrong.
3. Hey, just perfect condition to wet my appetite, go for it.

I am ready, and fly out tomorrow nite to FLL. :)

MarkofSeaLife 04-02-2014 02:00 PM

Re: What would you do you are off Hatteras ?

You are taliking about northbound?

Well the wind is up your bum (in a number of ways ;) )so the gulf stream wont be rough. You will have one fast trip.

The wind is far more than I like. Even if its from astern.

Now, if you mean you are heading southbound around the you'd be nuts :) stark raving bonkers. I dont plug into a forceast 35 knot winds.

:)

rockDAWG 04-02-2014 02:44 PM

Yes, we are heading north. Leaving FLL this Friday to Annapolis. I am thinking of just flying a tiny staysail. However, according to the weather, we do have a brief period of time that we will have some northern component of wind (less than 4 hours), we can sail east to gain some more sea room.

We have SSB and modem to get weather fax, etc. so we can make our decision as we approach NC. We can make a left if we have to.

jsaronson 04-02-2014 02:48 PM

What will it be like in 2 days when you are there? Today's conditions don't mean much. You're on a 59 footer? Working jib should be fine.

MarkofSeaLife 04-02-2014 03:04 PM

You wont need SSB as you will be inside the gulfstream, so you will have VHF weather.

Yeah, I would be going jib only, maybe poled out if its that far behind, but only a small snippet of sail.

Opt out point of Beaufort NC.

But asy you say, if its predicted for a weeks time whats the chances.... Nil.

Mark

smurphny 04-02-2014 05:22 PM

I would be thinking twice about being in that. I'd be looking at a number of different forecasts, surface and 500mb charts, etc. not just a Passage Weather map. Look out ahead a few days. I'd be thinking ICW at Beaufort or sooner if it looked like getting beat up. It's a big boat but do you know what it can do?

killarney_sailor 04-02-2014 06:00 PM

Keep checking the weather as you get closer. If it is a big capable boat there should not be a problem going northbound in those winds.

rockDAWG 04-02-2014 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killarney_sailor (Post 1695890)
Keep checking the weather as you get closer. If it is a big capable boat there should not be a problem going northbound in those winds.

I will. If system swings to any north wind we will duck in Wilmington. I am not quite sure if we should wait until we get to Beaufort, NC as Mark suggested. I will study the charts carefully.

Thanks.

Coquina 04-02-2014 07:02 PM

This area is not called the Graveyard of The Atlantic for nothing. If I had even a slight HINT of wind going north or east I would go inside.

JonEisberg 04-02-2014 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coquina (Post 1696154)
This area is not called the Graveyard of The Atlantic for nothing. If I had even a slight HINT of wind going north or east I would go inside.

Uhhh, not with that boat's 85' air draft, you wouldn't ... :-)