SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Navionics web charts and SonarCharts (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/131674-navionics-web-charts-sonarcharts.html)

SailingJackson 04-02-2014 02:17 PM

Navionics web charts and SonarCharts

Navionics has charts online at WebaApp | Navionics
They offer the standard charts, plus their new SonarCharts. SonarCharts are turned on when in the web application via the little sonar icon in the lower left corner.

I'm surprised at the differences, turning the sonar on and off. I had thought they wouldn't have advanced sonar everywhere and provide the more detailed information by doing an interpolation between the NOAA chart depth lines. When I look in lots of little places it's clear that they are not doing that.

Does anyone know which depths are more accurate? I'd invite people to explore areas that they know intimately and report on how the Navionics data relates.

I've heard that Navionics is going all "social media" on this. Users are encouraged to go online with their cards and refresh to newer charts and chart notes. Their new memory cards can record user notes and will collect depth data, which is shared and combined with other data every time they go on line. That means every fisherman trolling is actually doing data collection for our charts. Pretty interesting. You can leave chart notes that there's a really bad bottom at your favorite anchorage. If everyone uses the system you could depopulate an anchorage by giving it a bad review.

GJ

nccouple 04-03-2014 07:23 PM

Re: Navionics web charts and SonarCharts

I purchased the Navionics app for the iPhone. Haven't tried the sonar feature yet but I know they are trying to get me to upgrade for more money. Its worth the $10 I spent, but its not very reliable. It eats your battery very fast. If your sailing in an area like I am with sketchy service it doesn't work. Mine has tracked my boat across land. I still think its a good back up. It could be the way of the future, as cell service and devices get better.

atoyot 04-03-2014 08:47 PM

That's a bit odd, being as once the charts for an area are downloaded to the device, you don't even need an isp or data connection. I have one device on which there is no cell acivation at all..... all possible maps are pre-loaded while on wifi at home.

Brett Bris 04-08-2014 01:09 PM

I'm a big Navionics fan - use it on an ipad for passage planning and a back-up on board. Agree with atoyot, I download charts on home wifi and use built in ipad gps so no need for wifi or cell connection on board. In Australia and Caribbean didnt need the sonar feature. There are plenty of shifting sandbanks in my part of the world and I think paper or digital, more data will never change the need for prudence and leaving that extra yard or two under the keel.

FSMike 04-08-2014 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SailingJackson (Post 1695034)
----Users are encouraged to go online with their cards and refresh to newer charts and chart notes.----- If everyone uses the system you could depopulate an anchorage by giving it a bad review.
----

LMAO. That sure is tempting.

Scurrvydog 04-28-2014 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSMike (Post 1717665)
LMAO. That sure is tempting.

The feature has protection to keep abuse to a minimum. Most folks seem to appreciate the useful and practical aspect...I have found helpful information from aware and thoughtful fellow mariners.