Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2014
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Mounting hardware on Boom

The only time I tapped aluminum was to mount mast gates. In that application, the screws did not have much stress on them. But if they ever strip or corrode, I would need to re-drill in exactly the same place - I can't move the mast gate somewhere else. For that installation, I downsized the holes (and screws), so I could get a "second chance" to re-tap later with a larger hole/screw.

I use thread lock for the threads to minimize metal-to-metal contact, and also lay down a polyethylene sheet between the SS mast gate and the mast. So far, no corrosion - but I'm in a fresh water environment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to TakeFive For This Useful Post:
BeejDeC (04-03-2014)
Old 04-03-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I attached some of my mast steps with 1/4" rivets. A gun like this:http://http://www.amazon.com/Astro-P...ref=pd_cp_hi_1 is needed for large rivets. A small pop rivet gun will be circular file material pretty quickly. As far as coating them, I'm not really sure it makes any difference but you can use any number of products. I usually use Penetrox if anything at all, mainly because I have it left over from electrical jobs. For threads, I always use a thread lock product like Loctite if I want it to stay put, never-seez:Bostik Marine Grade Products - Industrial Supply Group if I want it to later be removable. Never-Seez should be std. equip. on any boat:-)

Last edited by smurphny; 04-03-2014 at 04:07 PM. Reason: sp
The Following User Says Thank You to smurphny For This Useful Post:
BeejDeC (04-03-2014)
Old 04-03-2014
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

There are dozens of "tap and drill size" charts online.
I have never used the tef-gel, but I do use a neverseize product specifically made for alloy instead of steel. It works for years on ss in alloy (I do all my outboards with it and I never need heat or penetratants to work on them) and it's available at any auto parts store, usually gold instead of gray colored.
BeejDeC (04-03-2014)
Old 04-03-2014

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road

The threaded hole that secures my mast gate is the thing that causes me the most trouble. It seems to instantly seize and then strip the next time I need to remove the screw. I've re-tapped it several times and I'm now at the point where the next size up would bee to big, so I'm considering installing a threaded insert. So far though, I haven't found them in Stainless Steel. If anyone has ever seen them in stainless, I'd love to know the source.
Old 04-04-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
The threaded hole that secures my mast gate is the thing that causes me the most trouble. It seems to instantly seize and then strip the next time I need to remove the screw. I've re-tapped it several times and I'm now at the point where the next size up would bee to big, so I'm considering installing a threaded insert. So far though, I haven't found them in Stainless Steel. If anyone has ever seen them in stainless, I'd love to know the source.
If you can't find s.s., maybe make your own. Cut off a fine thread bolt of a larger size, center punch it and drill/tap it back to the original size. You could also just weld it over and re-drill/tap. Spalling of s.s. threads is a PITA, one of the negative qualities of s.s. It seems as soon as the threads get even slightly deformed, they jam up and eventually strip out.
Old 04-04-2014
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
They do make aluminum or nylon screws, but they are soft. Since this is not a high-stress application, an Al or nylon screw might have less corrosion - if you have room to try one more tap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 04-04-2014

meteuz is on a distinguished road

If I understood this correctly, the OP is intending to put a turning block at the mast end of the boom so that he can lead the bitter end of the reefing line to the cockpit.

How you attach the block seems like a moot point to me. I wonder why one would want to lead the reefing line to the cockpit. You will be up at the mast securing the cringle on the gooseneck anyway (translation for lingo: securing the new lower corner of the reefed sail to the mast end of the boom), so why not leave the reefing line there. On a small boat, it saves valuable space in the cockpit which would otherwise be cluttered with another line end, and on a bigger boat it eliminates friction at multiple turning blocks needed to lead the line aft.
Old 04-04-2014

SVTatia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMC View Post
This seems to be logical to me in my situation. I have to add many things to my boom but it is on a small boom with far from 1/4'' thick alum. So, stainless rivets were my question. Seems like a much more secure solution. Do you do anything to isolate the SS from the Alum on the rivets?
Quote:
I've had generally bad luck tapping aluminum. In time, the screws seem to always tear out the threads. Instead, I've been using SS rivets. I'd be curious for any thoughts on this.
If you use monel pop rivets instead of SS, you'd have no corrosion problems.

Quote:
I believe (no expert here) the reason you'll not find SS threaded insert is due to the steel properties. SS is much harder than aluminium to form the lip that would secure the insert.
But since aluminium ones are available, its just a matter of coating the threads with Tef-Gel or similar. This way you have a secured screw that is protected from corrosion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteuz View Post
If I understood this correctly, the OP is intending to put a turning block at the mast end of the boom so that he can lead the bitter end of the reefing line to the cockpit.

How you attach the block seems like a moot point to me. I wonder why one would want to lead the reefing line to the cockpit. You will be up at the mast securing the cringle on the gooseneck anyway (translation for lingo: securing the new lower corner of the reefed sail to the mast end of the boom), so why not leave the reefing line there. On a small boat, it saves valuable space in the cockpit which would otherwise be cluttered with another line end, and on a bigger boat it eliminates friction at multiple turning blocks needed to lead the line aft.
I totally agree. Leading lines to the cockpit may be misleading (pardon the punch) -- you may believe that its going to be easier, but since you have to go to the mast anyway, it may not be. Save the work until you have enough experience to determine the best approach.
The Following User Says Thank You to SVTatia For This Useful Post:
BeejDeC (04-07-2014)
Old 04-04-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Im a huge fan of hooks for the tack...simple and if maintained well it eliminates yet another line

those single reefing systems are anything but simple or effective....

all lines at the mast....on big boat best thing you can do is have those stainless pulpits or whatever they are called...love them for helping you keep in place, tying things and supprting you while near the mast...

dont like the whole lines led aft dealyos...think they do more harm than good especially on small boats where a step or 2 has you at the boom and mast ready for action...

oh the only thing I like having aft is a jib downhaul...not needed on many boats but I singlehanded a 26 footer a lot that had a nice jib downhaul that could be used in the cockpit...that way I could dock under main sail power alone most of the time
SVTatia likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to christian.hess For This Useful Post:
BeejDeC (04-07-2014)
Old 04-04-2014
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeejDeC View Post
...I'm putting a reefing line on my C&C 30. The boom has a block mounted in the appropriate spot just aft of the leech but I'll need to mount a turning block on the luff end to run the line to the base of the mast and into the cockpit..j
Congratulations on selecting a beautiful boat. I've always considered my fondly-remembered C&C 30 the best instance amongst my boat ownerships. Enjoy.

I expect the main halyard does not come back to the cockpit, and that there is no line led aft for the reefing tack. If you do not have both these in place, you need to go to the mast anyway to reef, so skip the idea of running the reef inf line aft, and just use the standard cleat installed forward on the boom to secure your reef. There should be two, one for each of the two standard reefs.

Last edited by sailingfool; 04-04-2014 at 04:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sailingfool For This Useful Post:
BeejDeC (04-07-2014)

Tags
boom , hardware , hole , install , pilot

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.