Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Ugly Boats

That middle boat is lovely, not very practical perhaps but falls in the eye candy category for me
newhaul likes this.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2014
69' Coronado 25

socal c25 is on a distinguished road

Who makes that little pilot house boat?

"Fiberglass shells that let us breathe, let us smell, keep us from going numb"- Kurt (borrowed and modified from- Zookoff)

My Avatar is a pic of my son - Jan 19, 2014.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-12-2014
Legend in my own mind.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

The little pilothouse, 23 is a Compac-yachts 23.. Which I think the regular 23 is a stellar pretty boat... Compac-yachts 27 is also a very shiply little boat, but the pilothouse?

CP 23 Pilothouse, A Trailerable Cruising Sailboat from Com-Pac Yachts
I mean this:

Versus this:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I know...
But look at this 27 they make, just WOW pretty:
Hull #68 S2 7.9 on our little landlocked puddle, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA, it's cheap, trailerable, and paid for.
Old 06-12-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

This discussion around Ugly Boats does remind me of the following quote by a well-known naval architect (who should know what he's taking about):

"One day I shall have two boats exactly the same. I shall sail in one and look back at the other to extract the last ounce of pleasure from my labour. And if it happens that I cannot have two lovely boats and become bitter, I shall sail around in the ugliest of boats I can find, looking at everyone else's nice boat, whilst they have to avert their gaze from mine."

See? Ugly boats do have their place after all!
Old 06-13-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

From a boat you can't see its "lines" so it doesnt really matter what they are like... Except for the narcissistic masturbation of it all.

Certainly nice looking boats, seaworthiness and seamanship have nothing to do with each other.

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-13-2014
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

The view from on deck compared to the view from another boat can indeed be different. The most extreme case, in my case, are the old Coronado 35 & 41.

From on deck and below they are very nice but from elsewhere they are, at best, an acquired taste.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 06-13-2014

meteuz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
From a boat you can't see its "lines" so it doesnt really matter what they are like... Except for the narcissistic masturbation of it all.

Certainly nice looking boats, seaworthiness and seamanship have nothing to do with each other.

Mark
One would think that there is not a universal basis for beauty in a boat. Just like evolutionary biologists think the sense of beauty in a woman is a quick guesstimate of her overall desirability as a mate in terms genetics and state of health and fitness, a point could be made that the sense of beauty in a boat is some holistic measure of how well the boat would perform.

After all, if you don't want to spend your life in an endless series of sea trials of every single boat you see, you need to narrow down the field with a quick assessment. Besides, you often get to do the sea trials in ideal conditions, but the boat has to take care of you when things get tough. So if we have evolved as sailors, that quickening of the pulse that we get from a good looking boat has to have everything to do with seaworthiness and seamanship.
Old 10-12-2014

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
The little pilothouse, 23 is a Compac-yachts 23.. Which I think the regular 23 is a stellar pretty boat... Compac-yachts 27 is also a very shiply little boat, but the pilothouse?

CP 23 Pilothouse, A Trailerable Cruising Sailboat from Com-Pac Yachts
I mean this:

Versus this:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I know...
But look at this 27 they make, just WOW pretty:
Oh come, you're picking on the little 23' pilot house? Heh that isn't fair.

The 27 I definitely like.

You also have to admire them for staying in businesses and continuously producing a 27.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.