Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2014
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Stupid questions about launch day

Blueman, I'm now on Barnegat Bay. The marina is pretty, but over priced for how we use the boat, and I really haven't been all that thrilled with the owners so far. Now, in their defense, I wasn't there much of the season. But from what I've seen they are out to make a buck, rather than keep a happy customer. I know Jim has had a different experience, and I will admit that my perception may be colored by other events. But we've decided to move.

Jim, I thought about Ted's; you'll have to let me know what you think of them. I liked the location! We're moving up to Lanoka Harbour this year. It's a "no frills" marina, but the bathrooms are clean, the people seem nice, and we got a slip that should work well for us.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2014

L124C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Mistakes can happen especially in the spring and fall when they're hauling/launching a lot of boats. For that reason I'm always there for haul/launch. Since garboard plugs are rare, I'd hang a sign off the binacle "Install Garboard Plug Before Launch" just to play it safe..
I agree...I saw a boat get dropped hard once, resulting in significant hidden damage. I doubt the owner would have ever known about it had he not been there.

Yeah...mistakes happen, but leaving the oil cap off AND splashing the boat without the plug is a definite indication somebody is not paying attention.
If I was the yard, I'd hang the sign from the Garboard hole!
Why would you leave the plug out anyway? Once the bilge is drained, it's drained, right (unless you have a very leaky boat)? Forgive my ignorance...I'm in California where we don't have to deal with such issues!

Last edited by L124C; 04-15-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-16-2014

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Blueman, I'm now on Barnegat Bay. The marina is pretty, but over priced for how we use the boat, and I really haven't been all that thrilled with the owners so far. Now, in their defense, I wasn't there much of the season. But from what I've seen they are out to make a buck, rather than keep a happy customer. I know Jim has had a different experience, and I will admit that my perception may be colored by other events. But we've decided to move.
I hear you. I try to go by my personal experience, but I know the owner has rubbed some people the wrong way. But then every marina I've been in the owners have been quirky.

I really liked where we were and we have a lot of friends there. It was a great location and we had a dock with really good people. But there was drama every year over the owners finances and marina repairs. This year it reached a point where the electric scared the hell out of me so it was time to go.

Quote:
Jim, I thought about Ted's; you'll have to let me know what you think of them. I liked the location!
Someone suggested we take a look at Ted's and it was a really pleasant surprise. It looks kind of run down from the street because of some old boats, but when you get inside it's all new docks, new electric, new bathrooms, etc. We'll see what our dockmates are like. I figure if we don't like it we'll move on.

Quote:
We're moving up to Lanoka Harbour this year. It's a "no frills" marina, but the bathrooms are clean, the people seem nice, and we got a slip that should work well for us.
Let me know how you like Cedar Creek and how you like the marina.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 04-16-2014
Asleep at the wheel

We're going to Laurel Harbour Marina and Yacht Club. The marina itself is kind of junky, but it's in a very protected location. Plus, there is a huge playground right across the street where our kids can burn off some energy, which is good. No pool, but at this point that has gotten knocked down on the priority list.

I tried to get into Cedar Creek last year, but they were booked. I didn't bother calling them again this year.

I will be very curious to hear what you think of Ted's. I liked being on Forked River, and Ted's docks started (literally) about 100 feet from where Dragon Wing was at the end of the season.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-19-2014
Asleep at the wheel

Success! After about 3 hours last weekend and another roughly 4 hours today, I managed to get the flange off, and without damaging the shaft. I used an angle grinder and a cut-off wheel. The cutting was done in less than 30 minutes. It still took me another 3 hours to get the thing off. But it's off!! Unfortunately I missed the window when the prop shop is open. Now I need to figure out whether I'm going to take a day off this week and have it done near the boat, or take it to a shop in my area, if I can find one.
deniseO30, edguy3 and Delta-T like this.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 04-20-2014

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluemanSailor View Post
Jim - my BF keeps his boat at Haven Harbour also- been there for about 8 years, after they totally screwed up almost every project he gave them, he's been taking his boat to Annapolis for any work that needs to be done - from engine, gelcoat to rigging!

Maybe I'll see you down there some time. Good luck!
Haven Harbor is one of the most reputable places to have work done on the Chesapeake. Especially Yanmar work. Their customer service is excellent and the stand by their repairs.

I have never had an issue with them and have taken my boat there quite a few times

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-20-2014
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Success! After about 3 hours last weekend and another roughly 4 hours today, I managed to get the flange off, and without damaging the shaft. I used an angle grinder and a cut-off wheel. The cutting was done in less than 30 minutes. It still took me another 3 hours to get the thing off. But it's off!! Unfortunately I missed the window when the prop shop is open. Now I need to figure out whether I'm going to take a day off this week and have it done near the boat, or take it to a shop in my area, if I can find one.
Gotta love cutting wheels! Good Job Jim!

my current "project"!
Old 04-20-2014

Good news Jim

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-20-2014

While you are in there check you engine mount nuts and bolts for tightness.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 04-20-2014
Asleep at the wheel

I just read your other post, Dave. I'll be sure to do that next weekend!
1975 Albacore 15