Catalina 22 fixer upper - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 37 Old 06-21-2014

Re: Catalina 22 fixer upper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
No, you cannot replace the bolts with screws!!
very true. screws tapped into the fiberglass will rip out, over time.

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.---Captain Jack Sparrow

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 06-21-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamstevens View Post
okay thanks... now what is the best way to acess the nut for easy removal and also to put back together? it looks as if the nuts are all set way up in a narrow crevace between the deck and hull joint in the cabin.
if you can fit an open end wrench in the space available, that will be the best at to do it. slip the wrench into the narrow space and turn the bolt from the top side. to put them back on, use a little scotch tape to temporarily secure the nut to the wrench and slip it into place. start, and tighten, the bolt from the top side. if a nut ill fit, a simple open end wrench should too.

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.---Captain Jack Sparrow

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 37 Old 06-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamstevens View Post
okay thanks... now what is the best way to acess the nut for easy removal and also to put back together? it looks as if the nuts are all set way up in a narrow crevace between the deck and hull joint in the cabin.
Welcome to boat maintenance! This will be far easier with two people. If you have to try on your own, a pair of vice grips may work to hold the nut inside while you loosen the bolt from the top. An impact driver can be a great help in busting frozen nuts and bolts loose.
captain jack likes this.
post #34 of 37 Old 06-28-2014 Thread Starter

okay thanks everyone... i'm gonna give it a try today.
next problem now:
it seems as if there are thousands of hull paints on the market and it gets a little confusing. The anti fouling bottom paint(below the waterline) looks to be in good conditon... even though it is slightly streaky it is still very thick. I need to paint everything above the waterline because the paint has become dull and oxidized... what should I use and how much will I need aproximately?
ps I'd like to buy from west marine cause I have a few coupons and stuff saved up
thanks
post #35 of 37 Old 06-28-2014
aka $tingy Sailor

You're sure above the waterline is painted and not just oxidized gelcoat? They can look similar. The gelcoat can be restored by following Maine Sail's article on this site about compound buffing and polishing. Gives great results and is a better solution than painting in most cases.

I invite you to visit my blog, The $tingy Sailor, where I've posted over 50 articles so far about DIY trailerable sailboat restoration and improvements, all of which were done on a C22.

You're in for a lot of work but it can also be a lot of fun. Don't loose momentum. And you're rescuing a source of many years of pleasure out on the open water.

Follow me on the
blog - DIY trailerable sailboat restoration and improvement without throwing your budget overboard.
post #36 of 37 Old 06-28-2014 Thread Starter

thanks... I'll check it out.
I'm not sure if it is paint or gel coat. there are some areas that look like they have beeen sanded into so it is a different color and there are some deep scratches that need fixing too. it has some scratches on it, not just oxidation.

I also need to repaint the deck and cabin and stuff so what should I use for that?
thank you
post #37 of 37 Old 06-29-2014
aka $tingy Sailor

Scratches through the gelcoat into the glass underneath would be a different color too. Could be paint after all, though. Just didn't want you to think that painting was your only option. Hard to say without pictures. I haven't had to paint my boat except for a little bit in the bilge, so I can't recommend any products there. But I can recommend a copy of Don Casey's book,
Sailboat Refinishing (International Marine Sailboat Library): Don Casey: 9780071486583: Amazon.com: Books Sailboat Refinishing (International Marine Sailboat Library): Don Casey: 9780071486583: Amazon.com: Books

to guide you. I have several of his books and they're excellent.

Follow me on the
blog - DIY trailerable sailboat restoration and improvement without throwing your budget overboard.
The Following User Says Thank You to This Old Sailboat For This Useful Post:
captain jack (07-01-2014)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.