Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2014

butch palmer is on a distinguished road
light duty vs heavy duty

I live on the indian river lagoon where the water is shallow I like to sail up and down the lagoon but I also want to sail to the Bahamas and beyond so im torn between a almond 31 shallow draft and lots of room and a Freya 39 deep draft and built like a tank and im not a racer but want a boat that's not going to fall apart in rough sea I go out when im off work and rarely check the weather .rough seas is kind of like rideing a motor cycle I like the excitement no problem. Is there a boat that is good for both smooth lagoon sailing and rough seas?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: light duty vs heavy duty

What's your budget? There are some "blue water" boats with swing keels or centerboards. Southerly, some Tartans, some Bristols, some Hinckley (I believe).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 04-08-2014

butch palmer is on a distinguished road

knew several people with swing keels cable broke on 2 and eye bolt corroded out on one so not that keen on swing keels
Old 04-08-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road

What's the budget?

A 30ish foot catamaran or something like a Corsair 31 tri would be my recomendation. Shallow enough draft for a bay with the board up, and you can drop the centerboard for offshore work.
Old 04-09-2014

bacampbe is on a distinguished road

Once you actually get to the Bahamas, you might appreciate a shallow draft again. On a charter in the Abacos, we found even a 5 ft draft enough to make us very tide sensitive when entering or leaving various harbors.
Old 04-09-2014

sony2000 is on a distinguished road

A Freya 35 (approximately) arrived at my Club 2 years ago. Before it hit the water, the owner had added lead to the sides of the keel, cut off what was below the lead, then faired everything. Voila, a shoal keel.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 04-09-2014

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch palmer View Post
knew several people with swing keels cable broke on 2 and eye bolt corroded out on one so not that keen on swing keels
Butch,

Swing keels have tradeoffs as all designs do. They allow the use of shallow water as full keel boats do but provide the pointing and lifting efficiencies of modern low aspect deep draft keels when in deep water. They can also be adjusted as another way to balance the boat. However, owners should do an annual inspection and maintenance of the keel and the parts that control it. The problems you mentions are what happens if you don't.

I don't own a swing keel boat myself, but my understanding is you should haul the boat annually, inspect the keel and hardware for wear, corrosion, and other issues and replace as needed, clean out the crustations that can make the swing keel stick, and keep your bottom paint on the keel and in the slot fresh.

Regards,

Tom
Pasadena, MD
Old 04-09-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch palmer View Post
Guess they could tried some maintenance along the way. We have a c/b on a heavy 45 footer. It is great to have 5 foot draft when we need it and 12 feet when we want to go to windward.
Old 04-09-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sony2000 View Post
A Freya 35 (approximately) arrived at my Club 2 years ago. Before it hit the water, the owner had added lead to the sides of the keel, cut off what was below the lead, then faired everything. Voila, a shoal keel.
those are called torpedos...

there is an islander 36(my boat model) who did this mod quite succesfully took at least a foot off the keel than slapped on some 500lb or so lead torpedos and through bolted them on each side...

he said it was worth it and didnt affect handling in any noticeable way...but he was now just under 5 feet draft versus 6 ft and 6inches that some islander 36 had

I beleive the iron keels were a little bit longer than the lead keels

Old 04-09-2014
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I almost bought a P-40 which has a swing keel. One of the reasons for finally going with a fixed keel was doubt about the long-term viability of a mechanism such as that. I'd also worry more about it getting jammed and its strength if/when it hits something. Being able to decrease draft is a tempting feature.