Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: Have you ever run aground when sailing?
Yes, I have run aground 123 79.35%
No, but I'm lying, I have run aground... bump there I go again 32 20.65%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2014
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
Re: The run aground poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post
I figure that once disaster minimisation and recovery becomes a reflex reaction, it doesn't really matter.

It then becomes a bit like asking "How many times have you accidentally gybed?" - more than once really is too often..
To some extent what I am asking is what is it like where you sail. Where I sail, running aground is part of normal operations. Running aground smack dab in the middle of a dredged channel that had 12' of water yesterday is not uncommon.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Kemah, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2014
1982 Skye 51

obelisk is on a distinguished road

I have run aground in some of the most beautiful places in the world!
Bene505 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-11-2014
Don't call me a "senior"!

Puddin'_Tain is on a distinguished road

I've never run aground. I've run amud and asand a few times. I even ran aconcrete once. But never aground.
davidpm, willyd and Bene505 like this.
Typed on my Underwood Finger-Flight Champion portable typewriter (in triplicate, using carbon paper), sent to my basement laboratory via pneumatic tubes, transcribed by Minions on a Commodore 64 (complete with 5 1/4" single-sided floppy), and uploaded to the Internets via 14.4 kbit/s modem. Ain't modern technology grand?
Old 04-11-2014

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Glad to see that many of us have a similar attention span....

This was a landslide...
Old 04-11-2014
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

lol i do npt gybe, per my uncles orders and we were punished in creatively sailing manner for each infraction.... we were gooood...gybing hurts our old boats..... we come about like gentlemen.

and we run aground regularly so i cannot remember exactly how many times since age 7 i have run aground..lol...almost hit a small bridge once in lost angeles in holiday harbor, wilmington,,,,,in a 25 ft coronado..lol

formosa 41, cruising tropics

Old 04-11-2014

Letrappes is on a distinguished road

I've had a lot of fun running aground. One great one was a rather windy day with full sails up. I start thinking about tacking before getting in shallow water. Get the wheel turned over and start undoing the Genoa sheet. When the boat comes upright it stops suddenly. Took a bit with the motor but finally backed about a hundred yards to get into deeper water.

It doesn't bother me much around where I sail as it's all thick muck I the bottom. The only time it did was last November with a fresh bottom job I found the shallow spot leading away from the boatyard. Not happy about that one.
Old 04-11-2014
Fortuitous

chip is on a distinguished road

The only working depth finder on my boat is the 550 pound piece of iron that I affectionately call my swing keel.

I have a feeling I'm in for a rude awakening if/when I get a big boy boat, where I won't be able to reduce my draft by 3' with a crank, because I drag my current boat along the bottom more often than I care to admit.
AlaskaMC likes this.
Old 04-12-2014

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
I more interesting poll would be how many times have you run aground

>20
10-20
5-10
2-4
Once
Never

I wonder how many people would be in the >10 group. I am at a proud 8 currently. Should hit 10 soon!
Ye forgot one answer.......

I've run out of finners and toes counting!

Oh, was on a barge that ran aground......did I mention it was ON purpose! I was in the dumptruck on said barge. only way to get the dumptruck OFF the barge.......come to think of it, the barge was grounded on a boat ramp when I loaded too........hmmmmmmmmmm

I also hear there is a YC in London that has a free membership.........you just have to go aground in a rather large public way to get your invite! LOLOLOL

Marty
RainDog likes this.
Old 04-12-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

The last time I ran aground, wait, I mean the first time, wait, I mean the only time, wait.........what are we talking about?

Well, a few years ago I had my daughter and 7 of her teenage girlfriends aboard. We anchored so they could go swimming, which really means they go floating on rafts and swim noodles out of ear shot of the boat, so they can all talk, while my wife and I make lunch.

Later, I pull the anchor with an offshore breeze, so we're pointed toward shore. I think I will just swing her around, rather than back away. I still recall watching the depth sounder go from 10,9,8,7...... bump....... in a split second. Nothing quite like 8 teenage girls as witnesses. Backed right off, but I wonder if I made facebook?
Bene505 likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-12-2014

engineer_sailor is on a distinguished road

We were getting ready to raft up with another boat on a creek in the Chesapeake. The other boat was looking for a good spot to drop the hook and we were following. They turned and we delayed the turn to give them room to set. It's blowing 25knts and we are watching them anchor and planning our approach instead of watching the depth gauge. Before we knew it we were aground. It was clear that our 18hp two cylinder diesel wasn't going to get us out. After a few expletives, I started thinking clearly and unfurled the headsail. The brisk gusty breeze gave us enough heel to break free. It was embarrassing to run aground while family members watched from the other boat, but my wife and I did receive lots of kudos after the razzing for our use of the sails to quickly get back underway. One thing to love about sailing is the need to be resourceful and the many ways to solve the problems.
Bene505 likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.